User Controls

Contact is objectively the superior Matthew Mcconaughey Wormhole Magic Film

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Interstellar and its shoddy science can suck a fat cock
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    fuck that I'm watching stargate again
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I can never take it seriously when a wormhole takes people apart to the atom, then puts them back together perfectly in precisely the right place (in an ostensibly infinite universe) for the plot to progress.

it's like firing a lego set out of a cannon.

so if I'm not pretending to take the 'science' seriously I'm just as likely to enjoy the inclusion of a dildo gun that paralyzes, kills and vanishes someone on the first three shots
    Interstellar might've been better as a ghost story
    four for flinching
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I mean yeah, wormholes are almost universally sci-fi science woo magic, but I mean it’s at least a way of facilitating a plot that doesn’t fall apart under scrutiny of highschool level physics.

Not that I really know what I’m talking about, but I don’t think there’s a need to suppose that travel through wormholes involves deconstruction and reassembly of matter.

And in the case of contact, the travel is mediated by technology so at least it’s not “derp I flew into a black hole and saw god” level deus ex
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Interstellar would have been better as a gay sex scene between Mcconaughey and Damon called “Matt Meats Matt”
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Wormholes are cool as fuck in the sense that they're literally just... like... pinched space-time. Anything beyond that is retarded. I've never seen Contact, but Interstellar didn't piss me off too much. Kinda just a guy in pinched space-time experiencing 4-dimensional reality, and - with the help of 4-dimensional beings - tweaking 3-dimensional reality's nipples in a way that his daughter could understand.
    Originally posted by Lanny Interstellar would have been better as a gay sex scene between Mcconaughey and Damon called “Matt Meats Matt”

if you called it Matt on Matt it could start out as an interview like Between Two Ferns and take a really greasy turn
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    frala Avant garde shartist
    Originally posted by Lanny Interstellar would have been better as a gay sex scene between Mcconaughey and Damon called “Matt Meats Matt”

You just get a boner for McConaughey in a turtleneck.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    “Matt on Matt Violence”
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    “Settle it on the Matt”
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Stargate is choice as hell though. The better Star Trek. Fuck trekkies.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Meikai Wormholes are cool as fuck in the sense that they're literally just… like… pinched space-time. Anything beyond that is retarded. I've never seen Contact, but Interstellar didn't piss me off too much. Kinda just a guy in pinched space-time experiencing 4-dimensional reality, and - with the help of 4-dimensional beings - tweaking 3-dimensional reality's nipples in a way that his daughter could understand.

BUT RETROCAUSALITY?!?!

Reeeeee!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Also I will never forgive the fucking gravity/wave planet bullshit of interstellar
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by Lanny Also I will never forgive the fucking gravity/wave planet bullshit of interstellar

Kinda goofy, but pretty much unrelated to the wormhole itself, neh?

Originally posted by Lanny BUT RETROCAUSALITY?!?!

Reeeeee!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Once you're in pinched space-time you're outside of causal reality. You can impact causal reality at any point. If you have access to the entirety of the 4th dimension (assuming "time" has dimensionality which is fucky but like, just go with it bruh), then retrocausality is meaningless. Crying about retrocausality in the case where "time" and the causal relationships that underpin it are extradimensional interactions is a fool's errand. Like a 2d being complaining that we mined a rock or some shit. Probably a similar experience from that perspective. idk
    frala Avant garde shartist
    He’s just mad at Christopher Nolan for piggybacking off Carl Sagan. I call it inspiration. I also understand the word FICTION, the definition of which seems to be highly contested in this household. Well really he’s just mad at Christopher Nolan I think. We have this debate like every three months.
    Aleister Crowley African Astronaut
    Originally posted by aldra I can never take it seriously when a wormhole takes people apart to the atom, then puts them back together perfectly in precisely the right place (in an ostensibly infinite universe) for the plot to progress.

So that explains Cloverfield III with the woman stuck inside the wall. If you've not seen it please do, I cba explaining this part but I thought it was a good film.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Meikai Kinda goofy, but pretty much unrelated to the wormhole itself, neh?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Once you're in pinched space-time you're outside of causal reality. You can impact causal reality at any point. If you have access to the entirety of the 4th dimension (assuming "time" has dimensionality which is fucky but like, just go with it bruh), then retrocausality is meaningless. Crying about retrocausality in the case where "time" and the causal relationships that underpin it are extradimensional interactions is a fool's errand. Like a 2d being complaining that we mined a rock or some shit. Probably a similar experience from that perspective. idk

Like kinda I guess, my issue with interstellar’s wormhole thing is just that it a. invalidates the rest of the narrative and makes the vast majority of the plot filler to pad out the deus ex resolution b. related, is not meaningfully foreshadowed or built towards c. is somehow powered by human emotions? and c.1 if we accept time as reversible which you kinda need to for various reasons and to make wormhole time travel exist and c.2 accept that you can influence the past in that scenario then c.3 I think you’re kinda stuck with the need for yet another dimension on top of time or need branching or some shit which means there’s an infinity of universe where McC didn’t universally nipple twist his daughter into being a feminist icon and humanity’s savior and the value of human life and the basic morality that underpins the whole narrative falls apart but is also really kind of an interesting idea that remains 100% unexplored because love conquers all or some bullshit

But that’s really all plot problems. The shitty internally inconsistent science comes in elsewhere, most egregiously in nigger wave planet
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by frala He’s just mad at Christopher Nolan for piggybacking off Carl Sagan. I call it inspiration. I also understand the word FICTION, the definition of which seems to be highly contested in this household. Well really he’s just mad at Christopher Nolan I think. We have this debate like every three months.

The word the definition of which is contested in this household is not fiction but SCIENCE
Jump to Top