User Controls

If you had unlimited resources

Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    What would fill your day? What would consume your life? What is your dream and how would you make it a reality?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Ghost Black Hole
    I would explode the moon with nuclear weapons

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Ghost I would explode the moon with nuclear weapons

What did the moon ever do to you?
    Ghost Black Hole
    Nothing. I actually want to die orbiting the moon.

It would just be cool to see everyone's reaction and actually figuring out how to do it.
    Originally posted by Ghost Nothing. I actually want to die orbiting the moon.

It would just be cool to see everyone's reaction and actually figuring out how to do it.

The moon’s density is not constant. It has areas with varying gravitational pulls, so you would eventually sling off into space or crash into moon rocks.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by Ajax The moon’s density is not constant. It has areas with varying gravitational pulls, so you would eventually sling off into space or crash into moon rocks.

"your dreams are impossible"
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Drugs, lots of drugs.

But only in the condition that I have an unlimited supply of resources.

Either that, or I'd apply those resources to hire the most educated people from every field, Nobel Laureates and the like, buy all the computing power I could ever need, and apply the greatest minds and the greatest computational resources to solving the big problems that plague society, like curing diseases, ending global warming, and ending hunger and poverty.

Or both...

Actually, why not both?
    Originally posted by gadzooks …apply the greatest minds and the greatest computational resources to solving the big problems that plague society, like curing diseases, ending global warming, and ending hunger and poverty.

I love how, now that I re-read this, it could be interpreted that I consider the acts of curing diseases, ending global warming, and ending hunger and poverty as the actual problems.

That way I come off as some kind of super-villain.

Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Define "resources" because I'm assuming you mean 'money, materials, and anything else useful to me' in which case I'd settle for nothing less than immortality and world domination.
    Originally posted by Zanick Define "resources" because I'm assuming you mean 'money, materials, and anything else useful to me' in which case I'd settle for nothing less than immortality and world domination.

I just assumed resources meant material things like money, primarily.

If it includes physics- and biology-defying magical powers, then I'll take immortality and world domination too.

Actually, with enough real-life resources, you could definitely achieve world domination, and maybe immortality to.

Instead of having my team of Nobel Laureates solving problems that affect all of humanity, I'll just keep them all focused on achieving immortality for me and me only.

There is actual research into the endeavor, and, while it lies at the fringes of science, it's not pseudoscience, just hugely underfunded.

However, it's only aimed at totally eliminating death by disease or natural causes.

Someone could still blow you up with a nuclear bomb.

But then I guess that's where the other "worldly" resources come into play. You would have the entire worldwide citizenry at your disposal to be your army of personal body guards.
    It’s up to interpretation. I think of resources as anything you need in order to do what you want to get done, which could include money, materials, and anything else useful to you.
    Originally posted by Ajax It’s up to interpretation. I think of resources as anything you need in order to do what you want to get done, which could include money, materials, and anything else useful to you.

Does it include control over humans?

Or do people have free will?

Like, with infinite money, I can hire as many people to do my bidding as I want.

But if they still have free will, they can refuse acts they deem unreasonable or unethical.

Then again, I could just replace them all with conscious robots.
    Or you could make your unlimited resources transparent and contribute to the betterment of our kind, a subject of discourse rather than a means of obtaining power, and become a shining example of altruism and restraint in human activity.
    Originally posted by Zanick Or you could make your unlimited resources transparent and contribute to the betterment of our kind, a subject of discourse rather than a means of obtaining power, and become a shining example of altruism and restraint in human activity.

Actually, that was essentially my original answer. Or at least it was originally meant to be altruistic.

But you got me thinking about things like world domination.

I guess I'll go with my original answer.

Drugs, a whole lot of drugs.

And researchers and computers to solve problems for the betterment of humanity, with humanity's input, of course.
    Travel and tinkering (electronics) (and obviously indulging in sexual congress with a string of young women who only want a payday).
    Originally posted by gadzooks Actually, that was essentially my original answer. Or at least it was originally meant to be altruistic.

But you got me thinking about things like world domination.

I guess I'll go with my original answer.

Drugs, a whole lot of drugs.

And researchers and computers to solve problems for the betterment of humanity, with humanity's input, of course.

I think the altruism-obsessed human would devote everything to our race, and to continue doing so in perpetuity would require, as I stated in my original, selfish ambition, to bring about one's immortality. Over the course of generations, this limitless man would be the subject of cult-like worship and become a god on Earth. Perhaps he would not stray from his mission, but all the same, he is arguably one to be abhorred.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Does it include control over humans?

Or do people have free will?

Like, with infinite money, I can hire as many people to do my bidding as I want.

But if they still have free will, they can refuse acts they deem unreasonable or unethical.

Then again, I could just replace them all with conscious robots.

Having unlimited resources doesn’t grant you the ability to alter or remove free will. We still have to exist and operate within the physical and metaphysical properties of our universe as we know them.
    Originally posted by Zanick I think the altruism-obsessed human would devote everything to our race, and to continue doing so in perpetuity would require, as I stated in my original, selfish ambition, to bring about one's immortality. Over the course of generations, this limitless man would be the subject of cult-like worship and become a god on Earth. Perhaps he would not stray from his mission, but all the same, he is arguably one to be abhorred.

So basically like a real-life, nonfictional version of Jesus? But walking amongst the people, in the flesh, making blind faith unnecessary?

That would be pretty fly.
    Firekrochfatty African Astronaut
    For one, I'd become a Master Sommelier. Travel all over the world and experience different kinds of cuisines to cook.👍
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    I'd flood the oceans in a biblical event. Most major cities would be underwater, and the planet would look like this.

In the ensuing chaos, I will reveal myself as the one who is single-handedly responsible. Nobody will listen or believe me at first. Not until I use my powers to raise the sea level by an inch over night. I will raise and raise and raise it until I am believed, and they are willing to listen to my demands.

I will then fill a Texas sized spot in the Pacific Ocean with earth, creating an island on which I will live. I'll demand that every major government sends a team of no less than 5,000 to begin landscaping this island into a paradise. Mountains surrounding the area will prevent any hurricanes from forming, and fuck with the North Pacific Current. This will turn much of North America, South America, and Asia into deserts.

Once my island is complete, I will allow a certain number of sexy individuals to inhabit it. Food will be bountiful, and fresh water will rain from the sky three times a week at 6pm-10pm. I will of course gather a large harem for myself, but largely, people will be allowed to live as they please. Drugs would be legal. Violence upon another human punishable by death. Everybody will get a home at 18.

We will thrive and laugh as the world around us starves and suffers, and we will not feel one bit bad about it, for we are the sexy ones. The chosen who have been graced by their lord (me) and allowed to live on this Pacific Paradise of mine. Our babies will be the cutest, and grow up to be even sexier than ourselves. Amen.
Jump to Top