User Controls

anyone ever try to weld or tig steel to copper?

POLECAT POLECAT is a motherfucking ferret [my presentably immunised ammonification]
    I'm building a steam generator and I need to weld copper tubes to the barrel bottom and top to let the heat pass through and thereby make more steam than if i were just boiling water making steam,, I'v tried solder and copper wire,, also tried a coat hanger,, none have been perfect enough to make me feel it was water proof,, any suggestions would be appreciated
    Manonfire African Astronaut
    Fuk off
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Bologna Nacho African Astronaut
    You come to NIS to learn welding? Damnit man, lay off the drugs!
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Call Cory Krause.
    What went wrong when you soldered it? On pen and paper it should work if you're handy enough with a tig, Lord knows know I'm not.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Try different silver to tin ratio solder.
    https://www.hunker.com/12000310/composition-of-solder-wire
    Cootehill African Astronaut [my unsymmetrically blurry oregano]
    Not an expert, but with dissimilar metals welding doesn't seem like such a great idea.

Can you put something on the copper made of steel of some sort, like a valve or a connector or something, and try welding that?
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    finny would be able to answer this satisfactorily.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    use silocone cock
    HTS highlight reel
    Can't you just braze it?
    Cootehill African Astronaut [my unsymmetrically blurry oregano]
    Originally posted by benny vader finny would be able to answer this satisfactorily.

Gay rape plumbing?
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    In general one solders copper.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    could you not just bolt them together?
    POLECAT POLECAT is a motherfucking ferret [my presentably immunised ammonification]
    Originally posted by HTS Can't you just braze it?

I tried to braze it yesterday,, it didnt want to work as the metals were different and the copper was melting before the tin was hot enough, I tried several metals brazing and copper wire seemed to work the best but I doubt its going to hold water,, I'll know more today when I get the rest of the copper tubing and finish brazing them to the barrell
    Originally posted by aldra could you not just bolt them together?

I could but i'm trying to make it hold water and I doubt itl work like that cuz the gaskets would probably melt from the fire
    Originally posted by Sophie In general one solders copper.

its copper to thick tin so thats why its being difficult
    Originally posted by A College Professor use silocone cock
    fire will melt cock real or fake
    Originally posted by Cootehill Not an expert, but with dissimilar metals welding doesn't seem like such a great idea.

Can you put something on the copper made of steel of some sort, like a valve or a connector or something, and try welding that?

no and yes
    Originally posted by DietPiano What went wrong when you soldered it? On pen and paper it should work if you're handy enough with a tig, Lord knows know I'm not.

I never tig welded before yesterday,, the solder didnt accept the tin,, it did work with copper wire instead of solder,, I'm just not sure its going to seal enough to hold water after
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    tig is not a good choice. use a torch and bronze rods.

and most important of all, the flux.
Jump to Top