User Controls

Bartenders that don't know how to make drinks

Lanny Bird of Courage
    This is becoming a thing for me apparently. Like I don't mean they make a bad drink, that's subjective, but like not knowing a recipe for anything more complicated than a martini (invariably they'll make a martini with the house vodka too). Recently I've been in bars and ordering something and having the bartender not know how to make it. It's doubly annoying it there's waitstaff and I tell them something and they go and talk to the bartender and have to come back and then I have to try to explain how to make it and it ends up being fucked up at some point in the game of telephone.

I get it if you can't can't make some obscure thing that was cooked up last month in some trendy downtown bar, but like you order a drink that's been common for at least half a century, even if it's probably not the top 10 things people ask for in 2018, you kinda expect a professional bartender will be able to make it. Or at least look it up on the computer or some shit. My favorite was describing how to make a hanky panky, when I said fernet branca she was like "we don't have that here". I had to point to the bottle of it behind the bar, say the one with the eagle on it. Like shit, was it just sitting there for decoration or something?
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    making martini with the house vodka isn't their fault it would be what the tightass owners will have instructed them to do.

I had this problem back when all I used to drink were godfathers.
    Pretty soon grown ups will be googling how to tie shoes. But you should just be taking straight shots to be honest.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    What is the allure of bars to you?
    infinityshock Black Hole
    i dont drink, but when ive gone out with chicks who do, they know exactly which bartender to go to for their drinks. there seems to be a ratio of tip-to-alcohol content...or skin-showing-to-alcohol-content.

side note...i know a chick who told me a story where she had a drink that was without a doubt roofied by the bartender (this happened before i met the chick, so dont get any ideas) and the only reason she turned out okay was because she was with a group of her girlfriends.
    Originally posted by Malice What is the allure of bars to you?

There is a Russian bar that I like. Its the only bar that I would frequent. It has Russian food, as well as Russian alcohol.

That said, its really hard to fuck up a cup of vodka, so basically Leonids problems would disappear if he stopped drinking fruity drinks.
    Originally posted by Fox Paws I had this problem back when all I used to drink were godfathers.

edge
    I disagree with your idea that they should be expected to know all the drinks.

But they should at least fucking google it. If it's a large chain they should have a book of sorts that employees can refer to.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Malice What is the allure of bars to you?

Pretty much that they can comfortably accommodate more than two people, if that's not a hard requirement then it's drinking at home. There are also some social situations where it would be weird to invite someone to my home but a bar is fine.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by BRiCK There is a Russian bar that I like. Its the only bar that I would frequent. It has Russian food, as well as Russian alcohol.

That said, its really hard to fuck up a cup of vodka, so basically Leonids problems would disappear if he stopped drinking fruity drinks.

Lol, not every mixed drink is a "fruity drink" brah.

Originally posted by 杀死所有的白魔鬼 I disagree with your idea that they should be expected to know all the drinks.

But they should at least fucking google it. If it's a large chain they should have a book of sorts that employees can refer to.

Well I said in OP I don't expect a bartender to know every drink ever made, but if that's your job it seems like you should at least have the "classics" memorized.
    bar work doesn't pay enough for anyone to care. most people working in bars are just filling in between doing other better shit.

Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    Lil sporty is even a pretentious drunk. What an insufferable little shit he must actually be.
    Originally posted by NARCassist bar work doesn't pay enough for anyone to care. most people working in bars are just filling in between doing other better shit.

I’ve known bartenders that make a doctor’s salary and buy BMWs and condos in cash.

This was Vegas though, mind. And they were female. And hot as FUCK
    Originally posted by Fox Paws I’ve known bartenders that make a doctor’s salary and buy BMWs and condos in cash.

This was Vegas though, mind. And they were female. And hot as FUCK

yeah i'm talking about most bars tho.

-SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Print out your recipes on paper and carry them with you at all times. If you encounter a less than stellar bartender, you merely hand them the sheet and help them stumble through it.
    Originally posted by Lanny Lol, not every mixed drink is a "fruity drink" brah.

Well I said in OP I don't expect a bartender to know every drink ever made, but if that's your job it seems like you should at least have the "classics" memorized.

Most bartenders are just people with a certificate. From what I hear, it's mostly about the treatment of alcohol. The state/city doesn't care about making sure you know your drinks. I'm sure how in depth this is varies from school to school/course to course. These people are probably young and just pushed through some online thing. They aren't gonna remember all the drinks. Most of the time people are just ordering a beer, especially at restaurant type places. You mentioned waiters, so I assume that's where you're going here.

Now, if you go to an actual bar and it's some 40 year old who doesn't know how to make an old fashioned, then that's a problem.
    Originally posted by 杀死所有的白魔鬼 Most bartenders are just people with a certificate. From what I hear, it's mostly about the treatment of alcohol. The state/city doesn't care about making sure you know your drinks. I'm sure how in depth this is varies from school to school/course to course. These people are probably young and just pushed through some online thing. They aren't gonna remember all the drinks. Most of the time people are just ordering a beer, especially at restaurant type places. You mentioned waiters, so I assume that's where you're going here.

Now, if you go to an actual bar and it's some 40 year old who doesn't know how to make an old fashioned, then that's a problem.

No, most bartenders are attractive women who were instantly given the job with no credentials or relevant experience. After that, blue collar dudes who worked their way up from being a barback. People with certificates from bartending schools or whatever generally aren’t taken seriously if that’s all they have going for them. Unless it’s a really high end or well known place, but even then they’d want someone with experience as well.
    Originally posted by Fox Paws No, most bartenders are attractive women who were instantly given the job with no credentials or relevant experience. After that, blue collar dudes who worked their way up from being a barback. People with certificates from bartending schools or whatever generally aren’t taken seriously if that’s all they have going for them. Unless it’s a really high end or well known place, but even then they’d want someone with experience as well.

You need a certificate to bartend for a vast majority of the US. I think most probably start out in other positions at restaurants with bars and then get offered a promotion if they'll get the certificate.
    Originally posted by 杀死所有的白魔鬼 You need a certificate to bartend for a vast majority of the US. I think most probably start out in other positions at restaurants with bars and then get offered a promotion if they'll get the certificate.

You got that backwards, the vast majority of districts DON’T require a cert, there’s a few that do
Jump to Top