User Controls

Does any culture not have holidays?

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Every country I know of has some kind of holiday, usually some unique ones like national holidays and some shared with cultural neighbors. Do any cultures have no holidays at all? Do primitive societies have holidays? Holidays in sustenance farming communities seems a little weird (it's not like "here's free money", it's like "I'm paying not to work today for some reason") but they seem to exist. Do we have any evidence one way or the other for hunter gatherer societies?
    I don't know but I want to convert if there is
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    not into holidays? Sure most of the things they commemorate range from "gay shit" to "epoch of moral decay" but at least it's a day you get to eat without having to break your back for someone who's exploiting you.
    That's true I guess, and free days off work are nice

Most of the time I feel like I'd rather be at work than do the family holiday get togethers though
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Lanny Every country I know of has some kind of holiday,

define holiday .....

as in just a time period free and devoid of works

or

time period of celebrations and rampant binge drinkings ???
    Originally posted by benny vader define holiday …..

as in just a time period free and devoid of works

or

time period of celebrations and rampant binge drinkings ???

It has to be both to be a real holiday
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 It has to be both to be a real holiday

then the answer is none becos all societies that are advanced enough to have holiday are built on farming, and as with all farming practices .... there are a beginning that always end in the form of harvest festivals.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    jehobaz witnesstards

they are some fucked up units
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by infinityshock jehobaz witnesstards

they are some fucked up units

didnt they claimed to be witnesses of a something they didnt personally see ????
    Jehovah's Witnesses don't ever celebrate jack shit.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by Lanny Do primitive societies have holidays? Holidays in sustenance farming communities seems a little weird (it's not like "here's free money", it's like "I'm paying not to work today for some reason") but they seem to exist. Do we have any evidence one way or the other for hunter gatherer societies?

Guess it depends what you mean by "holiday", they did have celebrations:

"The solstice may have been a special moment of the annual cycle for some cultures even during neolithic times. Astronomical events were often used to guide activities such as the mating of animals, the sowing of crops and the monitoring of winter reserves of food. Many cultural mythologies and traditions are derived from this. This is attested by physical remains in the layouts of late Neolithic and Bronze Age archaeological sites, such as Stonehenge in England and Newgrange in Ireland. The primary axes of both of these monuments seem to have been carefully aligned on a sight-line pointing to the winter solstice sunrise (Newgrange) and the winter solstice sunset (Stonehenge). It is significant that at Stonehenge the Great Trilithon was oriented outwards from the middle of the monument, i.e. its smooth flat face was turned towards the midwinter Sun.[4] The winter solstice was immensely important because the people were economically dependent on monitoring the progress of the seasons. Starvation was common during the first months of the winter, January to April (northern hemisphere) or July to October (southern hemisphere), also known as "the famine months". In temperate climates, the midwinter festival was the last feast celebration, before deep winter began. Most cattle were slaughtered so they would not have to be fed during the winter, so it was almost the only time of year when a plentiful supply of fresh meat was available. The majority of wine and beer made during the year was finally fermented and ready for drinking at this time. The concentration of the observances were not always on the day commencing at midnight or at dawn, but at the beginning of the pagan day, which in many cultures fell on the previous eve.[5] Because the event was seen as the reversal of the Sun's ebbing presence in the sky, concepts of the birth or rebirth of sun gods have been common and, in cultures which used cyclic calendars based on the winter solstice, the "year as reborn" was celebrated with reference to life-death-rebirth deities or "new beginnings" such as Hogmanay's redding, a New Year cleaning tradition."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice
    SHARP Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Lanny Do we have any evidence one way or the other for hunter gatherer societies?

On North Sentinel Island there's a tribe with no contact to the outside world, and if Google Earth is to be trusted, they don't seem to have any fields as the entire island is covered in jungle. Considering that they must eat something, chances are that they eat what they can find or catch.

More info here.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by SHARP On North Sentinel Island there's a tribe with no contact to the outside world, and if Google Earth is to be trusted, they don't seem to have any fields as the entire island is covered in jungle. Considering that they must eat something, chances are that they eat what they can find or catch.

More info here.

but you didnt answer the question :

do they or do they not have holidays.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by benny vader didnt they claimed to be witnesses of a something they didnt personally see ????

fuck if i know...
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Jehovah's Witnesses don't ever celebrate jack shit.

true.

my ex used to be one and her mother was one.

jehobaz witnesstards really should be banned because of the stupid shit they do.

fun times: my ex's mother was at a get-together and there was some show on TV...i cant remember which one...but she went off on a rant in front of everyone about how modern TV is all about demons and the debil and people who watch it are going to hell & shouldnt watch it...before storming out of the room.

whenever i was at her house she always had B&W TV shows on...like 'i love lucy' and shit.

the irony is that both my ex and her mother were...how do you say...'naughty girls.'
    SHARP Yung Blood
    Originally posted by benny vader but you didnt answer the question :

do they or do they not have holidays.

If I had an answer to that question, I would have included it in the part I quoted, and answered it. As I only had an answer to the question I quoted, that's what I gave. Seems pretty logical, doesn't it?
    Originally posted by infinityshock true.

my ex used to be one and her mother was one.

jehobaz witnesstards really should be banned because of the stupid shit they do.

fun times: my ex's mother was at a get-together and there was some show on TV…i cant remember which one…but she went off on a rant in front of everyone about how modern TV is all about demons and the debil and people who watch it are going to hell & shouldnt watch it…before storming out of the room.

whenever i was at her house she always had B&W TV shows on…like 'i love lucy' and shit.

the irony is that both my ex and her mother were…how do you say…'naughty girls.'

They are a legit cult and way more fucked up than they have a reputation for being...
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by SHARP If I had an answer to that question, I would have included it in the part I quoted, and answered it. As I only had an answer to the question I quoted, that's what I gave. Seems pretty logical, doesn't it?

no. your just too miser to give them out.

you jedi.
    SHARP Yung Blood
    Originally posted by benny vader no. your just too miser to give them out.

you jedi.

Although it is true that I don't share everthing I know, seasonal traditions of peoples without contact with the outside world, isn't one of those things. Believe it or not, but there are things I don't know about. And I'm fairly certain I'm not jedi, that's one of the things I do know about.
    Esplender Tuskegee Airman [my gynecological profit-maximising katar]
    Does any culture not have holidays?

Communism
Jump to Top