User Controls

Recommend a Good Desktop Computer

infinityshock Black Hole
    My current alienware POS is apparently shitting itself out and it seems I'm now in the market for a new PC.

I know jack and shit about current computers, other than that for me to know as much as I'd need to, I don't have the desire to do the research.

90% of its use will be droll shit, like internet surfing and such nonsense however the other 10% will have some degree of importance in that I need it to be at least decent in high-res digital video and photography, and a leg to function well with graphics within word, powerpoint, and a couple of architectural design programs. the alienware I have was originally purchased to play a certain videogame however I no longer play any videogames.

the biggest issue I need is reliability and longevity. I don't want to have to buy a new fucking computer every few years.

I want it to be fast-ish without being overclocked to hell and back since I believe that is the origin of the problems I'm having with the computer I have now.

I have windows 7 but have concerns about win-10 being too 'privacy invasive.'

I lean towards buying from dell because I have a bit of a repoire with them from when they first started making computers, and they've given me several thousand ($3k or so) of free shits.

I purposely didn't mention price as it is a cost-value ratio, but I don't need some $6,000 pentagon-mainframe
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Any one of them that automatically disables your access to this website.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by mmQ Any one of them that automatically disables your access to this website.

the one with my foot in your rectum and my cock in your esophagus.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    I just got one of these for my mom.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CV9G1BO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Works good.
    For under $200.00 bucks you can't go wrong.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Typically you'd get the best value out of building your own, but if that's out of the question there are plenty of other options.

If cost is a concern it's possible to get second-hand ex-workforce workstations for cheap, otherwise:

For typical browsing, word processing, office etc. an Intel i5 processor will be fine - current generation is best but not necessary. I7s are significantly more expensive and you'd be unlikely to see a difference in performance, i3s are eh, price difference isn't that much but I'd only really recommend them for applications where you're concerned about power usage.

If you're running Windows 8GB should be plenty of RAM, but considering how cheap it's getting you might want to go with 16GB (will possibly help with photo/video processing depending on what sort of work you do).

Windows 10 is a nightmare in relation to 'privacy', but Windows 7 and 8 weren't really all that much better - they've just gotten that much more blatant about it. If privacy is a concern your only real option is the *nix operating systems like Linux and BSD.

If you're going to be working with media, I recommend you get a computer with a dedicated graphics card. You don't need to shell out for a 1080 or something ridiculous like that, but depending on what sort of media work you do, you will likely find the processor's integrated graphics insufficient.

I'll find a few examples to give you an idea on price
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA65E5Y22485

Something like this should be good for you, though you could probably get similar specs a fair bit cheaper.

You may also want to add an SSD for the operating system; Solid state drives are more expensive than hard drives but are much faster.
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-27-7760-aio/fdcwduckb400s?s=dhs&oc=fdcwduckb400s&cid=310435&st=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvyneEF-dowGQc5hkdWofI0GAcG_7pChSBXQJtbeIi4MAQIAO-PmDR4aAmBsEALw_wcB&lid=5927668&VEN1=sabY5JkUg,200575338200,901pdb6671,c,,FDCWDUCKB400S&VEN2=,&dgc=st&dgseg=dhs&acd=1230980731501410&VEN3=111803957632999863
    Originally posted by greenplastic http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-27-7760-aio/fdcwduckb400s?s=dhs&oc=fdcwduckb400s&cid=310435&st=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvyneEF-dowGQc5hkdWofI0GAcG_7pChSBXQJtbeIi4MAQIAO-PmDR4aAmBsEALw_wcB&lid=5927668&VEN1=sabY5JkUg,200575338200,901pdb6671,c,,FDCWDUCKB400S&VEN2=,&dgc=st&dgseg=dhs&acd=1230980731501410&VEN3=111803957632999863

no dedicated graphics and all the AIOs I've seen have had pretty mediocre displays... speaking of, I'm now wondering if the heat from the computer would have a negative effect on the screen - remember how the macbooks with the light-up apple logo on the back often got a visible 'halo' effect?
    Drill is not the word you're looking for
    Esplender Tuskegee Airman [my gynecological profit-maximising katar]
    Nigga just build your own
    Are you willing to build it yourself? It's not hard. Prebuilts are basically just shit.

Use this list to pick parts:

http://www.logicalincrements.com

then use pcpartpicker.com to cross check multiple sites for price and availability.
    Also, don't take that list as gospel either. It's just a good guide.

If you want a good price:performance ratio for video and image editing etc, consider AMD Ryzen CPUs, and they're decent for gaming too.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Also, don't take that list as gospel either. It's just a good guide.

If you want a good price:performance ratio for video and image editing etc, consider AMD Ryzen CPUs, and they're decent for gaming too.

I didn't mention Ryzen because they seem to be aimed almost solely at gaming; haven't seen any workstations that use them lately

if you go this route keep in mind that they run hot; you'll probably want a watercooler (AIO units aren't that much more expensive than a decent CPU fan)
    Originally posted by aldra I didn't mention Ryzen because they seem to be aimed almost solely at gaming; haven't seen any workstations that use them lately

if you go this route keep in mind that they run hot; you'll probably want a watercooler (AIO units aren't that much more expensive than a decent CPU fan)

The lower tier ones are. The Threadripper CPUs are pro as fuck.

And yeah cooking is always important with flAMeD. But I am pretty skeptical of the benefits of water-cooling.
    Originally posted by aldra no dedicated graphics and all the AIOs I've seen have had pretty mediocre displays… speaking of, I'm now wondering if the heat from the computer would have a negative effect on the screen - remember how the macbooks with the light-up apple logo on the back often got a visible 'halo' effect?

lol yea i know.
    Madman African Astronaut
    Tell me about this 10% of video and photography, I want to know what you are doing.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon The lower tier ones are. The Threadripper CPUs are pro as fuck.

And yeah cooking is always important with flAMeD. But I am pretty skeptical of the benefits of water-cooling.

lolyeah, if I hadn't built a machine a few months back I would put together a Threadripper/Vega build, they're fucking expensive and the die is ridiculously monstrous but they're the main reasons I wanted to do it.

as for watercooling, I noticed significant temperature differences with a corsair sealed AIO unit and since they only cost $100 or so I don't see any reason not to, unless you're really trying to cut costs.

I agree with custom loops though; they do drop temperatures but the cost, maintenance, extra power usage etc. are not worthwhile in a practical sense. It's mostly just a project/aesthetics thing that some people get into.
    Originally posted by aldra lolyeah, if I hadn't built a machine a few months back I would put together a Threadripper/Vega build, they're fucking expensive and the die is ridiculously monstrous but they're the main reasons I wanted to do it.

as for watercooling, I noticed significant temperature differences with a corsair sealed AIO unit and since they only cost $100 or so I don't see any reason not to, unless you're really trying to cut costs.

I agree with custom loops though; they do drop temperatures but the cost, maintenance, extra power usage etc. are not worthwhile in a practical sense. It's mostly just a project/aesthetics thing that some people get into.

My first ever "monster" gaming PC used mineral oil submersion lol. 2x HD 6990s and 3930K. Shit was a pain in the balls.

My main issue is that unless you are overclocking hardcore, air cooling works just fine and there's no hassle involved.
    Recommend the Goodwill special.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by AngryOnion I just got one of these for my mom.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CV9G1BO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Works good.
    For under $200.00 bucks you can't go wrong.

looking at its specs...its too 'basic' as in wont be able to handle graphics or video at anything more that 1 frame-per-hour.
Jump to Top