User Controls

What are your favorite turn based RPG games?

I just finished playing Faery which is a charming game but very short and very lackluster in the RPG department. I'm looking for something with gud story gud mechanics gud game. What do you recommend I play and why?

Have been playing Valkyria Chronicles as well and its okay, but its kinda soft on the turn-based aspect and RPG aspect. I'm looking for something with good boss battles and potion stocking and microwave beeps between turns yada yada. System doesn't matter I can emulate emus all day.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    do Baldurs Gate and co count? Battles are realtime but you can pause and issue commands. I recently fired up Icewind Dale for the first time.

the only strictly turn-based one one that comes to mind is Chrono Trigger, though I'm also a big fan of the tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem
    LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    Originally posted by aldra do Baldurs Gate and co count? Battles are realtime but you can pause and issue commands. I recently fired up Icewind Dale for the first time.

the only strictly turn-based one one that comes to mind is Chrono Trigger, though I'm also a big fan of the tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem

I only played Baldur's Gate II, but there is no way to beat that shit without pausing.
    Not into Baldur's Gate type things. I did try the early Fallout games a while back but it isn't the itch I'm looking for.

Chrono Trigger is fucking great but I ran into a game breaking glitch in the dystopian level place. Maybe I'll give it another shot. What is Fire Emblem like? I looked it up but just ran into a bunch of ads for some new 3ds game
    it's a long running series - if you want to give it a try, get the original Fire Emblem for GBA. it's hard to describe if you're not familiar with tactical RPGs, but I guess... think X-Com? with more focus on character development and less on equipment.
    LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    I'd say it's more akin to Battle for Wesnoth. Or Final Fantasy Tactics (ADVANCE). But I only ever played one of them on Gameboy or Gameboy Advance, a long time ago.
    yeah, I was looking for a more mainstream comparison, sounded like he wasn't familiar with the genre
    McFuck this I am not googling all of those. I'm going to try Fire Emblem for GBA tomorrow and see how it is. You're right that I'm not at all familiar. If anybody has any other solid suggestions just say them and I will go in blind if I don't get sucked into Fire Emblem after a few hours.
    Final fantasy tactics is my favorite, not much of a story to it though

I love grid based strategy RPGS like that. Shame there are so few

Tactics advance 2 was my favorite but that's probably just nostalgia glasses as it was the first final fantasy game I ever played
    Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    Originally posted by aldra Fire Emblem

The GBA FE was pretty damn fun but I thought it was entirely inferior to

Originally posted by LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Final Fantasy Tactics (ADVANCE)
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 Final fantasy tactics is my favorite
    Tactics advance 2 was my favorite but that's probably just nostalgia glasses as it was the first final fantasy game I ever played

Because Tactics advance was really really fucking good, unfortunately I lost my save and the emulator when I upgraded my system but it's got great story and great combat as well as you needing to think ahead for what the enemy will do, it's also got skills to learn from items that once learned can be used with other stuff, really useful when running a ninja
    CASPER Soldier of Fourchin
    I havent played as many turn based RPGs as I wish I had. That said... FF IX, Persona 4 Golden, what ive played of P5.
    HTS highlight reel
    I know you said Fallout wasn't what you wanted, but pretty much everything I wanna recommend kinda falls into that category of old school RPGs. Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Tyranny is pretty good but it's (sort of) real-time... and more recent.

Best recommendations I can give are Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong but even these are kind of old school, isometric stuff.

Try other games from the same developer and see if they're any good? D:
    Oh yeah Fallout is kind of my life. Shadowrun was good but I got 1/4 of the way in and never finished it.

I reeeaaalllly like XCOM:EU and EW, and XCOM 2 seems legit thusfar. Just never get very far into stuff.
    Semiazas Tuskegee Airman
    Shining Force 2 and Mario RPG.

Beat Chrono Trigger a few months ago.
    Originally posted by Semiazas Shining Force 2 and Mario RPG.

Why are you such a 12 step fuck now?
    Originally posted by Semiazas Shining Force 2 and Mario RPG.

lol. Did §m£ÂgØL summon you?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    No, he refused to talk to me because I was on a bit of a booze bender. Then he chimped out when I posted about him relapsing a while back, which he 100% did and I know because I was on the phone with him when he was high.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2 for Gameboy advance.
    >turn based

suicide
    Originally posted by 霍比特人说中文不好 No, he refused to talk to me because I was on a bit of a booze bender. Then he chimped out when I posted about him relapsing a while back, which he 100% did and I know because I was on the phone with him when he was high.

Was he always here? Surely someone must've summoned him.
Jump to Top