User Controls

Petabyte Disks to replace USB storage medias

Ghost Black Hole
    Folks you have been alive so long that technology is now looping back on itself and going back to the days of analog and BBS and downloading things on CD and burning CD's

lets be honest CDs were always a better medium of storage. They just were. USB media like portable hard drives or thumb drives or phones are all cheap and chinky and break and the bits flop around, it just sucks.

You always want a nice optical disk to me thats a real computer but maybe i'm just old fashioned
    💿💽📀

.;+itIYIIYIIYItt+;:
    =tXVVXItt+;=;;=+itIYVVXIi:
    ;YVXXt=: .;tYXXX+
    .tVXVt; .iXXVI:
    tRXX; .;; ;YVVY:
    ;RXV; +RR+..YVRt
    .XXR; :;. ;BBY.:VXR;
    ;RYX :XBY; tBBi tVR+
    ;RV+ :; :RMB+;BMB.;RXt
    ;RR; ;RR+.tBMBiBMB::RXt
    :RV; .+;. iBBY;BMMBMMB.:RXi
    RYt =BBi:BMBXBMMMBY. ;RR;
    YtV +Y+:tMBIBMMBMR= iIR
    :RR. .::. .tBXtMMBMBY: RIi
    XIt ;IRBRXVRBY; ;BBBMR= ;VR
    .RR ;RBt: .+RB; :BI: VY;
    +tX iBt =BX itY
    Yt= ;Bi :Bt :XR
    RX: RX =B: RX.
    RR :B: Ri YX:
    RR ;B YY YY;
    RR :B; Ri YX:
    RX: RX +B: RX.
    YI; +Ri :Bt :XR
    +tX .i: iBI iBX itY
    .RR ;VBBB. ;RBt: :+RR+ VY;
    XIt .tBMMMRBB; ;tRBVXVBRY; ;VR
    :RR. ;RBMMBVBB;;RR; .::. RIi
    IIR .tBMMMBMMB;RMX: tIR
    RII BMMBMMBiBMB;:+Vi: ;RR:
    :RV;:BMBXBMB;;VBY. :RX+
    ;RV+:BMB;RBMY ;t; ;RXt
    ;RXt.RMB;:tBB= ;RVi
    :RYR.;BBY. :+t; IXR;
    XXR+ ;RBY: ;RYR:
    ;RYR; .;Yi: :XXVt
    +VXV= ;YVVt.
    +VXVI; ;tVXVt.
    ;tVXXYi;. ;+IXXVY;
    ;tIVVXXYti=====iiIXXVVYt;
    :;iitItttttItt+;:
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    I remember when CDROMs were big you'd have a 750MB hard drive and each CDROM could carry 750MB just on a little bit of plastic.

It'd be so retro having CDs back.

I just realised I should check my old written CDs for old files. Maybe I have an old bitcoin wallet on one.
    Optical media will not replace flash memory. This is a scientific experiment, not a product made to enter the market.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by pass the cheese please Optical media will not replace flash memory. This is a scientific experiment, not a product made to enter the market.

The internet works through optical fibres and radio waves. Optics can beat wires.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by pass the cheese please Optical media will not replace flash memory. This is a scientific experiment, not a product made to enter the market.

If optical disk technology is at the point where it can store 1tb or a petabyte then it's only a matter of time, that will always be better than any amount of flash drives or little fiddily thumb drives, nobody wants any of this shit. The only reason people stopped using CDs is because it made more sense cost wise to just buy a 1TB external storage or SDcards or CLOUD STORAGE but the only reason people use any of those things is because CD's have always had sucky storage at some point in time. The high quality ones and blu ray shit can store a lot but a cheap high storage disk is what the market has always wanted because it's simply the best.

The time is coming. Also cassettes are becoming popular as tapes can hold 1000x more capacity now. Will we see an re-emergence of floppy disks in our lifetime folx? I think it's possible

https://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-have-developed-a-very-big-disctm-that-can-store-up-to-200-terabytes-of-data-and-may-represent-a-return-to-optical-media-for-long-term-storage/
    https://www.axios.com/2024/01/06/gen-z-cds-buying-collection
    Good news for those of you that have kept that big ol' stack of burned DVD and CD backups, taking up space in your attic: They may well be making a comeback. A team of researchers also appear to have also had a hard time letting the concept of spinning disc storage go, as they've developed an optical disc with a massive capacity of well over a petabit of data.

A team of scientists and researchers at the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology have managed to exponentially increase the capacity of an optical disc by making use of a 3D planar recording architecture (via Techspot). Essentially, the process involves stacking hundreds of data-recording layers a mere one micrometer apart, all while keeping the overall thickness of the disc the same as a traditional DVD or Blu-ray.

This much denser physical storage format makes use of 100 layers, which is said to result in a maximum data capacity of 1.6 petabits, or roughly 200 terabytes of storage. That's a gigantic leap over even the most advanced quad-layer Blu-ray disks, that currently top out at around 128 GB of data.
    Originally posted by Third Temple Im not afraid because I am a GenX who lived before it and you late millenial and zoomers will kill yourself when you run out of tech shit. You wont know what the fuck to do with yourselves. I'll just pull my old cassettes and records out and my walkman I got somewhere and change out tapes old school and get a bike. fuck it.

and if that burns out or fried from an emp ill just sing songs to myself. and point and laugh at all of the zoomers tweaking and twitchinig

Originally posted by the man who put it in my hood You live in fear of China and Russia and are a slave to mainstream news. I'm talking about building my own "tech shit" here and using things like radio for free internet and sending fax machines in space, the only reason people pay up the ass for highly controlled monitored back doored shit technology is because they aren't educated enough to use anything else, or they are restricted from using it. UHF radios are illegal in north korea, for example.

Your tapes will degrade and fail, records and storage mediums aren't good, modern ones only really have better capacity.

You're an idiot. Welcome to the future KID

https://www.techradar.com/pro/microsoft-inches-closer-to-glass-storage-breakthrough-that-could-finally-make-ransomware-attacks-impossible-in-the-data-center-and-hyperscalers-but-only-azure-customers-will-benefit-from-it

all you have to do is engrave rock/metal with the code to the bitcoin ledger and it can be offline for 1000 years and begin on the same chain any day. We are creating the future of storage and technology

https://bitcoin.ng/bitcoin-codebase-to-be-archived-for-1000-years-under-arctic-ice/
    https://medium.com/spidernitt/gnunet-big-brother-cant-watch-you-anymore-c06f93da16dd
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUnet
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tape-storage-trundles-on-increases-yearly-volume-to-128-exabytes
    https://newatlas.com/computers/ibm-fujifilm-record-50-tb-memory-tape/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomcoughlin/2023/08/22/ibm-announces-50tb-enterprise-magnetic-tape-drive-and-cartridges
    IBM announced its TS1170 magnetic tape drive, supporting storage capacities up to 50TB native and higher capacities with compression. The product has a native data rate of 400 MB/s and has a 12Gb SAS and 16Gb Fibre Channel interface options. The company says that it has AES-256 encryption and will support quantum cryptography resistance and is LTFS ready (for a file-like access to tape data).

These drives support new tape cartridge media, 3592 70F (JF media), using Strontium Ferrite magnetic particles and with native storage capacities up to 50TB. The JF media is produced by Fuji Film, who also makes LTO media. There is no downward compatibility with prior generation IBM drives. Prior generation IBM enterprise tape cartridges support up to 20TB native capacity. This new tape drive provides 2.5X more storage capacity in the same cartridge size than was possible on the prior generation TS1160 tape drive.

The drives can be used stand-alone or go into IBM’s TS4500 tape storage systems or other storage systems, which supports LTO as well as IBM’s 3592 Enterprise tapes (such as the JF media). Some specifications for the TS4500 are given below. Using JF media archive storage system capacities up to 877TB native capacity are possible. With 3:1 compression, 2.63 exabytes is possible. Tape can be written in write once read many times (WORM) and since many tape drive systems are direct attached rather than network attached, it can be an important component in protecting data from malware (providing an air gap from the network)
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Donald Trump I remember when CDROMs were big you'd have a 750MB hard drive and each CDROM could carry 750MB just on a little bit of plastic.

I just realised I should check my old written CDs for old files. Maybe I have an old bitcoin wallet on one.

i remember when i had a cassette tape in a cassette player for a 50-line program in BASIC
    Charles Ex Machina African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Donald Trump I remember when CDROMs were big you'd have a 750MB hard drive and each CDROM could carry 750MB just on a little bit of plastic.

CDs are retarded.

scratch the aluminum sputtered side off and your data is gone.

DVD9 uber alle.
    Originally posted by infinityshock i remember when i had a cassette tape in a cassette player for a 50-line program in BASIC

show us with these anatomically accurate ASSCII what else your uncles did to your poo-poo.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Donald Trump The internet works through optical fibres and radio waves. Optics can beat wires.

not flash memory...
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina show us with these anatomically accurate ASSCII what else your uncles did to your poo-poo.

better yet...touch your toes and ill show you what im going to do to your asscii
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    DVD9s were just dual layer DVDs, so they upped the size from 4.5GB to 9GB. I dunno what that'd be better.

Are you thinking of double sided DVDs? I think I may still have one of those. They could go up to 18GB.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina CDs are retarded.

scratch the aluminum sputtered side off and your data is gone.

DVD9 uber alle.

I only had this problem with video game discs. I remember scratching and spilling soda all over my computer disks and the shit always worked fine, music CDs are pretty robust too and sometimes I had a burned album that would go KAJEET and make the music player skip but otherwise sounded fine.

I also had a bunch of bootleg cassettes and those were way worse but better for recording stuff off radio because I could just stick a tape in my stereo and hit record when a song I liked came on and fill up entire mix tapes
    but everyone knows the corner demons get caught in the magnetic tape

watch it with this scene muted LMAO chopped and screwed at 20 minutes. oh man that would be sick yt video idea
    it will fry my 806 drum machine it's currently transmitting minecraft datastreams through cowbells and my homie lil shadow demon is rapping the beat to magnet tape which we use to store client side java chunks from Mc
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina show us with these anatomically accurate ASSCII what else your uncles did to your poo-poo.

| |: ,-. _____ ,-. :|
    | |: ( `)) [_____] ( `)) :|
    |v|: `-` ' ' ' `-` :|
    |||: ,______________. :|
    |||...../::::o::::::o::::\.....|
    |^|..../:::O::::::::::O:::\....|
    |/`---/--------------------`---|
    `.___/ /====/ /=//=/ /====/____/
    `--------------------'
    Originally posted by Donald Trump DVD9s were just dual layer DVDs, so they upped the size from 4.5GB to 9GB. I dunno what that'd be better.

Are you thinking of double sided DVDs? I think I may still have one of those. They could go up to 18GB.

the main difference between CD and DVD is where the data is stored.

on CD, the data is stored on a thin film of aluminum sputtered onto one side of a polycarbonat disc.

on DVD however, data is stored on a thin film of aluminum sputtered between 2 pieces of polycarbonate disc.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina the main difference between CD and DVD is where the data is stored.

on CD, the data is stored on a thin film of aluminum sputtered onto one side of a polycarbonat disc.

on DVD however, data is stored on a thin film of aluminum sputtered between 2 pieces of polycarbonate disc.

just make DVDs so cheap to produce that they are cheaper than CDs, ez
    Originally posted by Ghost just make DVDs so cheap to produce that they are cheaper than CDs, ez

they already are whete i am.
    ner vegas African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Donald Trump The internet works through optical fibres and radio waves. Optics can beat wires.

Originally posted by ner vegas

how early german ATGM worked.
    ner vegas African Astronaut
    a lot of cheaper ATGMs still fly by wire but afaik none use fibre optic because they don't need to
    Originally posted by ner vegas a lot of cheaper ATGMs still fly by wire but afaik none use fibre optic because they don't need to

fibre cables are lighter than copper cables.
Jump to Top