Europe
    India
    Middle East
    United Kingdom
    Watch
    Audio
    Live TV
    Start the day here
    Chiefs win back-to-back Super Bowls. Israeli forces rescue two hostages in Gaza. Senate moves closer to passing package with aid to Ukraine and Israel.
    World / Europe
    An alleged gang rape shocks Italy, and provides fodder for an ascendant far right
    By Barbie Latza Nadeau, CNN
    5 minute read
    Updated 5:27 AM EST, Sun February 11, 2024
    Alleged gang rape of 13-year-old girl by seven migrants causes outrage in Italy
    01:04 - Source: CNN
    Rome CNN —

Italy has been shaken by the alleged gang rape of a 13-year-old girl in front of her boyfriend in a public park in the Sicilian city of Catania, the latest in a string of shocking sexual attacks in the country.

The case is reminiscent of two alleged gang rapes last summer. A group of seven men and teenage boys between the ages of 15 and 18 are currently on trial for the alleged rape of a 19-year-old girl in Palermo in August.

Weeks later nine young men were arrested and charged with allegedly raping two cousins aged 10 and 12 near Naples and broadcasting the attack live on social media. They, too, are facing trial.

Last month’s alleged gang rape in Catania has become not only a symbol of violence against women in the country, but a cause célèbre for Italy’s far-right government. The seven suspected perpetrators were all Egyptian migrants, three of them under the age of 18, Catania police confirmed to CNN.

CNN approached the suspect’s lawyers for comment. Lawyers for three of them said their clients denied involvement in the actual assault, while the others would not comment because their clients are minors.

The case was soon seized upon as evidence that migrants should be blocked from entering the country.

Italy’s prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, came to power in September 2022 on an anti-immigration platform, but her efforts to curb irregular migration into the country have so far been unsuccessful.
    The Villa Bellini in Catania, Sicily, Italy, where a girl was allegedly raped.
    The Villa Bellini in Catania, Sicily, Italy, where a girl was allegedly raped.
    Orietta Scardino/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

The men accused in the latest Sicilian case entered Italy by boat in 2021 and 2022 as unaccompanied minors, according to Catania police. Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini, one of the country’s most visible far-right figures, said on X that they should not have been allowed to stay.

Meanwhile, during a visit to Catania, Meloni expressed her solidarity with the alleged rape victim and her family.

“The state will be there, and the state will guarantee that justice will be done,” she said.

The ways in which the cases between those with Italian suspects and those with Egyptian suspects are being handled are already drawing scrutiny.

The men accused of raping the 19-year-old woman in Palermo have been granted fast-track trials, their lawyers told CNN, which means they will be held behind closed doors and sealed.

The Egyptian suspects have been appointed lawyers who have not yet entered a plea, but the prosecutor in the case has already filed additional charges tied to illegal immigration, Alessandro Fidone, the court appointed lawyer representing two of the suspects told CNN.

Those who were now over the age of 18, and therefore not categorized as unaccompanied minors, no longer had the right to stay in the country because Egyptians do not qualify for asylum in Italy.

Italy’s interior ministry has called for a thorough review of all centers housing unaccompanied minors to see if similar cases exist.
    Migration blamed

Italy has long struggled with the problem of gender-based violence.

In November, both houses of parliament unanimously passed a new measure strengthening punishments against perpetrators of gender-based violence and increasing protective measures for women who fear for their lives.

The legislation was inspired by the case of Giulia Cecchettin, a 22-year-old woman murdered by an ex-boyfriend. She was one of 118 femicides in Italy last year. In 2022, women were the victims of 91% of homicides committed by family members, partners or former partners, according to the European Data Journalism Network.

“Violence against women is a phenomenon that’s more or less present in all countries, caused by structural causes like the disparity between men and women, stereotypes and prejudices,” Elena Biaggioni, vice president of D.i.Re, a national association that coordinates anti-violence centers and women’s shelters, said last June.
    Matteo Salvini argued that the suspects - who are Egyptian migrants - should not have been allowed to stay in Italy.
    Matteo Salvini argued that the suspects - who are Egyptian migrants - should not have been allowed to stay in Italy.
    Massimo Di Vita/Mondadori Portfolio/Getty Images

Speaking at a protest after a pregnant woman was allegedly stabbed to death by her partner, she added: “But of course in countries where there’s a macho culture and sexism is stronger, like Italy, this violence is justified in a different way.”

Yet in the latest case, officials have centered their attention on the background of the alleged perpetrators.

The judge investigating the most recent case, Carlo Umberto Cannella, said the suspects were likely to reoffend because they were not “accustomed to civilization.”

He ruled that they should all remain in prison while the investigation is underway.

“It appears clear that there is a danger of repetition of the crime also in light of the fact that the horror only ended thanks to the girl’s attempt to free herself,” Cannella said Wednesday as he ruled that the suspects should not be released on bail, according to a court spokesperson.

In a scathing op-ed in the right-leaning newspaper Il Giornale, which was founded by the family of the late former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, the editors also blamed migration for the alleged Sicily rape.

“Why are these individuals, without any requirement to access international protection, still in Italy and have not been subject to expulsion?” the editors wrote.

“Because upon arrival in our country they declared themselves minors and the law prevents the rejection of irregular immigrants who have not yet reached the age of majority. Now they will go to trial for rape but, in the meantime, that little girl will forever carry with her the pain and trauma of rape, suffered at just 13 years old. This is not the first case of non-EU minors being welcomed into Italian facilities and then engaging in criminal activities.”
    Related
    Paid Content
    Recommended by
    Recommended for you
    Recommended by
    More From CNN
    An ex-Olympian pleads guilty to sexually assaulting ...
    CIA fires whistleblower who is suing over claim ...
    7 people indicted in connection with assault on NYPD ...
    RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Seniors in Ontario Eligible For Hearing Aids In February
    Seniors in Ontario Eligible For Hearing Aids In February Hear Clear
    Urologist: 87% of Men with E.D. Don't Know About This Easy Solution (Try Tonight!)
    Urologist: 87% of Men with E.D. Don't Know About This Easy Solution (Try Tonight!) trkmeded.com

Star Trek Fleet Command Is Now on Desktop. Download Now for Free
    Star Trek Fleet Command Is Now on Desktop. Download Now for Free Star Trek Fleet Command

News & Buzz
    46 unique Valentine’s Day gifts to impress your loved ones in 2024
    46 unique Valentine’s Day gifts to impress your loved ones in 2024
    What we know about Princess of Wales’ hospitalization
    What we know about Princess of Wales’ hospitalization

US
    Crime + Justice
    Energy + Environment
    Extreme Weather
    Space + Science
    World
    Africa
    Americas
    Asia
    Australia
    China
    Europe
    India
    Middle East
    United Kingdom
    Politics
    SCOTUS
    Congress
    Facts First
    2024 Elections
    Business
    Tech
    Media
    Calculators
    Videos
    Markets
    Pre-markets
    After-Hours
    Market Movers
    Fear & Greed
    World Markets
    Investing
    Markets Now
    Before the Bell
    Nightcap
    Opinion
    Political Op-Eds
    Social Commentary
    Health
    Life, But Better
    Fitness
    Food
    Sleep
    Mindfulness
    Relationships
    Entertainment
    Movies
    Television
    Celebrity
    Tech
    Innovate
    Gadget
    Foreseeable Future
    Mission: Ahead
    Upstarts
    Work Transformed
    Innovative Cities
    Style
    Arts
    Design
    Fashion
    Architecture
    Luxury
    Beauty
    Video
    Travel
    Destinations
    Food & Drink
    Stay
    News
    Videos
    Sports
    Pro Football
    College Football
    Basketball
    Baseball
    Soccer
    Olympics
    Hockey
    Watch
    Live TV
    CNN Headlines
    CNN Max
    Digital Studios
    CNN Films
    HLN
    TV Schedule
    TV Shows A-Z
    CNNVR
    Listen
    CNN Underscored
    Electronics
    Fashion
    Beauty
    Health & Fitness
    Home
    Reviews
    Deals
    Money
    Gifts
    Travel
    Outdoors
    Pets
    CNN Store
    Coupons
    Weather
    Climate
    Storm Tracker
    Wildfire Tracker
    Video
    About CNN
    Photos
    Investigations
    CNN Profiles
    CNN Leadership
    CNN Newsletters
    Work for CNN

World
    Watch
    Listen
    Live TV
    Follow CNN

Terms of Use
    Privacy Policy
    Cookie Settings
    Ad Choices
    Accessibility & CC
    About
    Newsletters
    Transcripts

© 2024 Cable News Network. A Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All Rights Reserved.
    CNN Sans ™ & © 2016 Cable News Network.
    Charles Ex Machina African Astronaut
    threads useless without the alleged rape video
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina threads useless without the alleged rape video

it wasn't video taped
    Ghost Black Hole
    it was video raped
    Michael Myers victim of incest [divide your nonresilient tucker]
    The perpetrators should be castrated. Poor girl.
    Ghost Black Hole
    The worst part is this is perfectly legal in Europe
    Charles Ex Machina African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Ghost it wasn't video taped

it was streamed.
    Warcry Space Nigga (banned)
    Originally posted by Ghost The worst part is this is perfectly legal in Europe

ur such a weirdo man. for a cirminal u sure are judgemental of what others do.
    Ghost Black Hole
    YOu're calling me a weirdo and there is a literally an article written about how you went to Rome and split until multiple people like some kind of lovecraftian whore with 17 arms and tore a child apart in the middle of the streets unable to hide your demonixxx power any longer.

Originally posted by Warcry ur such a weirdo man. for a cirminal u sure are judgemental of what others do.

I've never broken a single law in my entire life, I have a totally clean record not even a parking ticket and I don't care what anyone does as long as they respect my right to not be cared about as well but if I see a person turn into 7 shadow forms of themself that crawl out of their chest and chase a child into an alley and hold them down I expect not to be judged when I find a bastard sword and murder all of them

because on that day I would gladly commit a crime and become a criminal and get something on my record, i'll be a villain if it means I can be a hero at the end of the day.
    ner vegas African Astronaut
    just kill them
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    ur a drug addict and a thief how can u judge anyone?
    At least I dont judge others especially until I know all the fact scron.
    ner vegas African Astronaut
    nonce solidarity
    Ghost Black Hole
    gong raped

Originally posted by Warcry ur a drug addict and a thief how can u judge anyone?

what drug am I addicted to? I only did cocaine twice this year already.

The only thing I have stolen is hearts. You seem upset

Originally posted by Warcry At least I dont judge others especially until I know all the fact scron.

why are you getting upset that I am "judging" people that gang raped a child, why are you defending them? I'm not even judging them, I was raised christian so I can forgive anyone but just because I can forgive you doesn't mean i'm not psychotic and will also stab you in the throat, I can do both.

It's like loving two women, people say you can't truly love them both but I think if you have a big enough heart you can love both women. Polygamy should be legal
    Again you dont know all the facts. you jduge based on media reporits form so calle d”journalsits”
    Ok sure I believe that. So you dont do speed at all or meth wow sure yea…
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Warcry Again you dont know all the facts. you jduge based on media reporits form so calle d”journalsits”

I'm just pointing out that it happened

Originally posted by Warcry Ok sure I believe that. So you dont do speed at all or meth wow sure yea…

I don't give a shit what you believe you fucking pedophile waste of life. I do every drug and will continue to until I die, and I am addicted to none of them unlike you, you fucking junkie retard piece of shit loser
    kill yourself
    Originally posted by Banana Muffin Mix No, I understand it just fine. I am pointing out the idiocy of people saying i'm "on drugs" when I haven't done them in months or years. Like I started doijng TWEAK in july, binged for months and ran out

Yet the entire time people could sparsely tell I was fucked up, and would just say I was mentally ill when I was actually high as fuck.

But the years I was "off drugs" people said I was "on drugs" all the time and an addict and a junkie despite not doing drugs for years before july, When does someone stop being an addict or junkie? In NA they say you are an addict for life but I don't really believe their philosphy

I am just pointing out that none of you understand drugs or addiction and are clearly brainwashed by the government/media when you can't even give a basic definition of when someone is "off" or "on" drugs

I personally consider someone with a active blood concentration level of a mind altering substance to be "on drugs" with a bit of wiggle room, like if you do cocaine for a week straight and then stop suddenly, I would say you're "off it" after like a few days.
    Pretty easy if you understand very basic shit, but none of you understand anything

so you just say i'm on drugs, which I am not. You don't even know what "on drugs" means or is, you don't know what drugs are
    Im a hephephile nmot a pedophile get it right.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Warcry Im a hephephile nmot a pedophile get it right.

You're an idiot
    but also a good shitposter…
Jump to Top