User Controls

How 2 make a forumÉ

How do I make a forum?

buy domain, host it, steal code, then what?.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    No money is needed. You can host for free on TOR. You do have to pay for your internet service, maybe.

You can download the software(open sourced) or you can build your own.

Lanny has his software of Github.
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump How do I make a forum?

buy domain, host it, steal code, then what?.

That's pretty much all there is to it. You can host a forum off a residential internet connection but it's going to perform like shit, hosting is pretty cheap, this place is like $10 a month in hosting costs. After initial setup (which can be fairly involved depending on what forum software you use) there's not too much, enforcing whatever rules you care about, cleaning up spam, and occasionally checking in on servers.
    Hosting is so competitive that some will set up your forum software for you. Shop around.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    yeah but no one will set up the bestest super slick ultimate ISS forum software for you!
    Maybe not. There are several that will set up vbulletin though.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    pfffy, does vbulletin have warpdrive or features that break on a regular basis? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    It won't let me buy triangl.es
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump post Bill Krozbys dick some more i love it and want to have a threesome with my gay lover lanny too.

that what you meant by triangles...?
    Shut the fuck up Zill the zat you fucking retard.
    Originally posted by Ajax Maybe not. There are several that will set up vbulletin though.

They should as it's easy.

As far as running my own server, what types of internet service options do I have?

In the past, I was actually able to run a clearnet server using a VirginMobile Hotspot by forwarding ports to my Raspberry Pi, but it only worked because VM didn't block inbound HTTP packets on couple of high ports. Now days it seems as if all inbound packets are enhancemented and HTTP packets tossed, on prepaid at least.

Aside from wired cable and hosting on TOR, what are my options for running one of my physical servers?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by infinityshock that what you meant by triangles…?

If you want to sling shit please don't do it in T&T, there are like 6 other threads you guys are doing this in, stick to those.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by SBTlauien Aside from wired cable and hosting on TOR, what are my options for running one of my physical servers?

The short answer is don't do that, managing your own hardware doesn't make sense until you have like half a datacenter worth of servers, until then renting is almost always the superior option in every dimension, just because of economies of scale. If you _really_ want to use your own equipment you'll have to seek out a local ISP (so not ATT or Comcast) and probably work out some custom deal. It'll be more expensive than a standard subscriber line but within the realm of what hobbyists can afford. The biggest thing is to get a symmetric line. Latency is going to be trash no matter what you do so that's hopeless but you're going to bottleneck at your upstream bandwidth right quick under any real load if you're using a typical asym connection.
    So as far as renting, what will I have access to? Like, can I install my own server software and OS?

Which ones are the cheapest?
    bling bling Dark Matter
    free domans

nigariansof,space
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by bling bling free domans

nigariansof,space

I will take 3000 grams please
    bling bling Dark Matter
    naggisin.spave
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by SBTlauien So as far as renting, what will I have access to? Like, can I install my own server software and OS?

Which ones are the cheapest?

The standard setup is you get to pick from LTS versions of most the popular distros and sometimes windows, and sometimes windows and your machine starts with a fresh install of that. You have root SSH access so you can do just about anything you could do with a physical machine besides personally installing new hardware/peripherals. There are probably hosts that will allow you to upload your own install iso or something if you're not happy with their stock choices. This place has some really cheap providers. If you need reliability be sure to look at SLAs but if you just want to do development or hacking around the cheapest offering there is probably fine.
    Originally posted by Lanny The standard setup is you get to pick from LTS versions of most the popular distros and sometimes windows, and sometimes windows and your machine starts with a fresh install of that. You have root SSH access so you can do just about anything you could do with a physical machine besides personally installing new hardware/peripherals. There are probably hosts that will allow you to upload your own install iso or something if you're not happy with their stock choices. This place has some really cheap providers. If you need reliability be sure to look at SLAs but if you just want to do development or hacking around the cheapest offering there is probably fine.

I wonder if it's worth setting up one of these so that it has a connection to my physical server and sends the original requests "formatted somehow"(so that they are not enhancemented by my prepaid phone service) so that my physical server can respond back to the online server which responds back to the original requests. Basically just relaying the requests but also formatting them so that prepaid services like VirginMobile, BoostMobile, etc, can't block.
Jump to Top