User Controls

Calling somebody and/or their work "subpar"

Seems to me that calling somebody and/or their work "subpar" would be far more offensive than just saying "you suck" or "that was the shittiest job I've ever seen"

What causes this? Are there just some words that sting worse than others for no discernable reason?
    snab_snib African Astronaut
    it simply seems less personally motivated and thus more truthful.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    i have literally told people their work looks like shit...and was wholly intending to be offensive.

a few months ago i had a discussion with the supervisor of someone who was building something that was way below what would be considered structurally sound. i told him it was unacceptable, 'garbage', and needs to be torn down and rebuilt. yea...he wasnt happy about that. im fairly sure a puppy wound up getting kicked shortly after that discussion.

generally i avoid attacking the individual and focus on the reason they need disparaging words spoken in their general direction...unless they make personal attacks, which im more than happy to reply to.
    TreyGowdy Houston
    "Subpar" just sounds like some corporate evaluation which is why it sounds worse. It's too formal. It would be just as weird to tell someone "your work is on par" instead of just "great work!". The former sounds like robotic forced praise.
    Thanks, I'm gonna say this to someone on monday because he's really been pissing me off and telling him he's fucking up isn't working.
    cerakote African Astronaut
    par makes it sound like thats EVERYONE'S potential, so when yiu say its sub par it makes the other person feel like they are less than average

there is nothing worse than the sweltering fear of inadequacy
Jump to Top