User Controls

Huawei making phones without any US chips at all

  1. #1
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Space Nigga [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Huawei’s latest phone, which it unveiled in September — the Mate 30 with a curved display, telephone and wide-angle cameras that competes with Apple Inc.’s AAPL, +0.30% iPhone 11 — contained no U.S. parts, according to an analysis by UBS and Fomalhaut Techno Solutions, a Japanese technology lab that took the device apart to inspect its insides.

    In May, the Trump administration banned U.S. shipments to Huawei as trade tensions with Beijing escalated. That move stopped companies like Qualcomm Inc. QCOM, -1.47% and Intel Corp. INTC, +0.34% from exporting chips to the company, though some shipments of parts resumed over the summer after companies determined they weren’t affected by the ban.

    Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, whose department oversees export licenses, last month said U.S. chip makers were being granted licenses to resume some other deliveries. The department has received nearly 300 license applications, he said.

    While Huawei hasn’t stopped using American chips entirely, it has reduced its reliance on U.S. suppliers or eliminated U.S. chips in phones launched since May, including the company’s Y9 Prime and Mate smartphones, according to Fomalhaut’s teardown analysis. Similar inspections by iFixit and Tech Insights Inc., two other firms that take apart phones to inspect components, have come to similar conclusions.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/huawei-appears-to-be-doing-just-fine-without-american-chips-2019-12-01?link=MW_latest_news

    The main cellular chipset is Huawei's own Kirin 990 5G. Qualcomm and Intel need not apply.

    Banning US firms from doing business with Huawei was a massive mistake, the biggest that Trump has made, as it has made everyone else skittish about doing business with America.
  2. #2
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country https://www.marketwatch.com/story/huawei-appears-to-be-doing-just-fine-without-american-chips-2019-12-01?link=MW_latest_news

    The main cellular chipset is Huawei's own Kirin 990 5G. Qualcomm and Intel need not apply.

    Banning US firms from doing business with Huawei was a massive mistake, the biggest that Trump has made, as it has made everyone else skittish about doing business with America.

    good.

    in the old days you can choose your weapons from either nato or warshaw packs.

    now its only normal for us to get to choose to use US tech or China's.
  3. #3
    Speedy Parker Space Nigga [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country https://www.marketwatch.com/story/huawei-appears-to-be-doing-just-fine-without-american-chips-2019-12-01?link=MW_latest_news

    The main cellular chipset is Huawei's own Kirin 990 5G. Qualcomm and Intel need not apply.

    Banning US firms from doing business with Huawei was a massive mistake, the biggest that Trump has made, as it has made everyone else skittish about doing business with America.

    Yeah, banning the Chinese government from sensitive communications infrastructure is such a huge mistake. What the fuck could Trump possibly be thinking?
  4. #4
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Space Nigga [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker Yeah, banning the Chinese government from sensitive communications infrastructure is such a huge mistake. What the fuck could Trump possibly be thinking?

    The mistake was that Trump forbade US firms to sell to Huawei. That's quite a lot different than forbidding Huawei to sell to the US. It's a decision that will come back to haunt America bigly. No company, no matter who or where, can ever trust their US suppliers ever again.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  5. #5
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    America shouldn't be doing any business whatsoever with bloodthirsty commies who murder and rob and oppress their own people by the millions.
  6. #6
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker Yeah, banning the Chinese government from sensitive communications infrastructure is such a huge mistake. What the fuck could Trump possibly be thinking?

    that's entirely reasonable, and I understand and support any country trying to keep their sensitive networks underpinned by trusted components.

    trying to break Huawei's supply chain and keep them out of markets is entirely unreasonable and self-destructive though
  7. #7
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    also I keep half-writing a thread on how bad 5G proliferation is going to be for end-users
  8. #8
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Space Nigga [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    5G is going to be a nightmare, but hopefully 4G will be rolled out more.

    4G has basically only reached a price point where we can think about switching to it for primary broadband here. I have a 4G router, and I usually put about 500GB through it a month, mostly torrent seeding. The cap is 750GB, and it costs about €35 a month. It works great, and 4G in general is proving to be really great.

    Honestly, what we need is better coverage, not even better speeds. Even in urban areas this is so.

    5G was originally supposed to be some sort of millimetre wavelength broadband product for LOS communication. What it has become is a marketing term.
  9. #9
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    the general gist of it is it's moving toward a regime where every tool is a set of proprietary, interlocking parts - a phone in the future may have 4-5 radios in it with no effective central management, each completely closed so the user has no idea what each unit is transmitting
  10. #10
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Space Nigga [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by aldra the general gist of it is it's moving toward a regime where every tool is a set of proprietary, interlocking parts - a phone in the future may have 4-5 radios in it with no effective central management, each completely closed so the user has no idea what each unit is transmitting

    If that is not already the case.

    I am realising how scary it is how little control we have over our devices.

    And anything you send over phone networks is prone to interception by state actors.

    We even had a case here where something like that happened - the police (who, in Ireland, also have the national security function) set up a dummy cell tower to intercept the communications of one of their oversight bodies - allegedly.
  11. #11
    ORACLE Tuskegee Airman
    I.e. Shitty
  12. #12
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Yeah to some extent, but the defining difference at the moment is that most people only have one home and/or one mobile connection - as an example, with all this 'automated home' gayness a 'smart kettle' has to send data through your existing connection, where you can potentially stop or inspect it.

    in the future that kettle will have it's own closed, proprietary connection with no way of you knowing what it's sending or being able to stop it short of unplugging the thing. even then we'll probably start seeing devices with 5g radio backup batteries to stop that from happening.
  13. #13
    ORACLE Tuskegee Airman
    Tbh I will never buy an IOT device. And if it becomes absolutely impossible to find stuff with IOT shit, I will do everything in my power to use it without hooking it up to the internet. But there is some part of me that is even afraid of that now.

    During the Cold War, the Russians gave some US official a US seal. The seal was inspected for bugs but it just had a metal rod in the back that looked innocuous. Turns out the rod was actually the receiver of a brilliant resonant bug apparatus. It wasn't detected or figured out, it was leaked.

    With modern machine learning technology, the level of sheer analytical power available to us is immense. I think that if they make wireless devices transmit some sort of signature pukse, and they know that it's in your house, they could map out your house with quite some precision. I've been doing a lot of research on AI driven RADAR and LIDAR. You don't even need AI for basic mapping with radio waves. But with AI you can sort an immense amount of noise out, and enhancement for and analyse particular signals.

    I don't want any transmitter in my kettle or fridge or some shit. Plus alliance etc companies are not known for having amazing security. I will literally remove it with screwdriver surgery if need be but I guarantee in the future they will drive the whole device based on the same PCB doing the transmission. Am I really gonna have to put my toaster in a Faraday cage?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
  14. #14
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    All systems built by the chink commies for use in North America have backdoors built right into them at the manufacturer.
  15. #15
    Originally posted by -SpectraL All systems built by the chink commies for use in North America have backdoors built right into them at the manufacturer.

    is that why you keep using your crt ?
  16. #16
    Originally posted by ORACLE Tbh I will never buy an IOT device. And if it becomes absolutely impossible to find stuff with IOT shit, I will do everything in my power to use it without hooking it up to the internet. But there is some part of me that is even afraid of that now.

    During the Cold War, the Russians gave some US official a US seal. The seal was inspected for bugs but it just had a metal rod in the back that looked innocuous. Turns out the rod was actually the receiver of a brilliant resonant bug apparatus. It wasn't detected or figured out, it was leaked.

    With modern machine learning technology, the level of sheer analytical power available to us is immense. I think that if they make wireless devices transmit some sort of signature pukse, and they know that it's in your house, they could map out your house with quite some precision. I've been doing a lot of research on AI driven RADAR and LIDAR. You don't even need AI for basic mapping with radio waves. But with AI you can sort an immense amount of noise out, and enhancement for and analyse particular signals.

    I don't want any transmitter in my kettle or fridge or some shit. Plus alliance etc companies are not known for having amazing security. I will literally remove it with screwdriver surgery if need be but I guarantee in the future they will drive the whole device based on the same PCB doing the transmission. Am I really gonna have to put my toaster in a Faraday cage?

    you can you kno, just not hook it to the internet.

    its not like bandwidths are free.
  17. #17
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny you can you kno, just not hook it to the internet.

    its not like bandwidths are free.

    that's what I'm getting at, in the future 5g radios will be able to connect regardless of whether you want them to or not, and companies will be more than happy to pay for the bandwidth given the value of the information they'll be able to collect
  18. #18
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny is that why you keep using your crt ?

    To be honest, the reason I use older technology is because I saw early on how the tech and software industries would manipulate and scam and treat people like idiots, in the way they'd do business, and they'd always put out their new stuff in such a way that the consumers often got fucked up the ass, through either compatibility tricks, licencing games, or just plain cost. Their style of business was nothing less than nauseating. It felt disgusting to even encourage them by giving them a single dollar of my money. So I decided to say, it's not fuck me, it's fuck you! I got what I needed to make things work, and then I stopped feeding the monster, content to be satisfied with what I had. If I absolutely need something more modern, I get it, but I don't ever go past that point, just out of principle.
  19. #19
    Originally posted by aldra that's what I'm getting at, in the future 5g radios will be able to connect regardless of whether you want them to or not, and companies will be more than happy to pay for the bandwidth given the value of the information they'll be able to collect

    nah, im not worried about that and neither should you.

    unless you live in china or america, that sort of thing isnt gonna happen especially considering you have half the world, the EU part still being hardcore privacy conscious, if they arent going to let their cookies slip by quietly into the hands of corporates neither will they with their 5g signals.
  20. #20
    Originally posted by -SpectraL To be honest, the reason I use older technology is because I saw early on how the tech and software industries would manipulate and scam and treat people like idiots, in the way they'd do business, and they'd always put out their new stuff in such a way that the consumers often got fucked up the ass, through either compatibility tricks, licencing games, or just plain cost. Their style of business was nothing less than nauseating. It felt disgusting to even encourage them by giving them a single dollar of my money. So I decided to say, it's not fuck me, it's fuck you! I got what I needed to make things work, and then I stopped feeding the monster, content to be satisfied with what I had. If I absolutely need something more modern, I get it, but I don't ever go past that point, just out of principle.

    but what about the environment ?

    a crt monitor consumes 9.7 times as much energy as an led monitor does, and therefore emits as much CO² as an led monitor.

    and we know what oxides of carbons are;

    their bad. very, very bad.
Jump to Top