User Controls

(Enter) Forgetting to Use Birth Control: Unwanted Pregnancies Support...

Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    [SIZE=16px]Evolutionary Psychology Theory[/SIZE]

Came across two interesting papers. The first: https://www.questia.com/library/jour...ed-pregnancies

I can't find them anywhere and couldn't hack an account on the luckypatcher app, don't want to use up a free trial, if they still have them. I'm going to request them on r/scholar.

I did find a thread from 2003 discussing this. Seems some had access to it and posted interestings comments on it:

http://www.bcharchive.org/3/thearchi...a.html?t=54894
    Eisenman (2003) looked at 110 women in a midsize city who were "asked about their last pregnancy, and whether or not birth control had been used. They were also asked if they intended to use birth control but had forgotten to do so, since pilot work had shown many cases of this."

Interestingly, it as found that:

…32 women said that their last pregnancy had occurred because they had forgotten to use birth control. On purpose, 51 women had not used birth control, and 21 women had used birth control but reported that it did not work, i. e., they got pregnant anyway.
    The author wonders

…if this is motivated forgetting, in that ovulation caused them, in some way, to want to become pregnant. Although that cannot be proved with the present data, it is certainly something worthy of further investigation. Could it be that, at ovulation, one's physiology and brain chemistry sabotage the desire to avoid pregnancy?

Could it? Seems possible.

http://www.bcharchive.org/3/thearchi...t=54894&page=2
    Quite an interesting study. Actually, the birth control failure numbers are almost as interesting as the forgetting numbers, if not more so.

Most common forms of birth control are 98-99% effective when used properly. Given that, on average it takes six months to get pregnant with no birth control (just an average), this implies that it takes on average at least 3000 months (i.e. 250 years) on average to get pregnant with birth control. Assuming that a typical woman uses birth control for 20-25 years, this would be 10% of birth control using women getting pregnant anyway in a lifetime. This would contribute to less than 8-10% of all births, since presumably, some women have abortions (a large percentage of preganncies end that way and one would expect more among such accidents), and because many couples use sterilzation, which is hard to accidentally do wrong, for a good part of their reproductive years.

These figures showed a roughly 20% accident rate, or about two to three times what this theory would predict.

One would expect that both forgetting and misuse of birth control might have hormonal impacts.

And, while differences in cognative function are not proven by this study. They are not unprecedented. One recent study (reported in Science News, I believe) showed that women's performance on "structural vision" type tasks varied from to almost identical to men during their periods to much worse than men during ovulation. I'm not vouching for that study personally, but it does at least provide some coroborration for the hypothesis.

Who's to say that the presence of male pheremones don't exacerbate this effect? Maybe sex does make you stupdi.

On the traits women desire in partners:
    Men should want to impregnate as many women as possible, as this would be the best way to spread their genes into future generations. Since women get pregnant, this strategy would not work for them, so they tend to desire men who have money, power and status, and will invest in them and their children.
    (Duh.)

There's also this just before it cuts off:

Human females can be receptive to sexual intercourse at all phases of their menstrual cycle, but desire increases at ovulation (Alcock, 1989; Stanislaw & Rice, 1988). Further, when women have sexual affairs with someone other than the husband or boyfriend, the affair often occurs during ovulation, the woman and her partner typically use no birth control, and the partner chosen by the woman has some quality that the husband/boyfriend lacks (Baker & Bellis, 1993; Bellis & Baker, 1990). …

The second paper by the same author: Ovulation, Female Sexuality, and the Unconscious: An Evolutionary Psychology View
    https://www.questia.com/library/jour...he-unconscious

The search for truth, adherance to rationality, and acceptance regardless of what you find. The answers you find aren't always the ones you would have hoped for. For me, I suppose they never have been when it came to humanity.

Reality is unbearably ugly. Those who can see and do not look away, attempt to convince themselves otherwise, are perceptive and give deep thought to matters, will likely be confronted with this at some point in their life.

Nietzche: Everything in woman is a riddle, and everything in woman has one solution—that is pregnancy. For the woman, the man is a means: the end is always the child.

Inb4 Lanny condescnedingly and elitistly disparages this, waves it away as if it isn't even worth taking seriously or arguing, or points out obvious flaws when the full papers aren't even available yet; although we could look for some of the references cited.Of course that means I shouldn't be making any judgments on this, but I merely posit this as supporting a general theory, evolutionary psychology being as valid as many other fields (The hard sciences will never be matched in their concreteness *badum-tish*), and it being absolute nonsense, incredibly simplistic and inconsistent thinking to dismiss it simply because we can't observe the past or recreate human evolution (high bars when convenient). It's not as is strong evidence can't be procured to strongly support a theory, and aggregated to form a sound, logically consistent, coherent, well supported general theory of human behavioral patterns. That or Hegeleypuff uses obfuscate: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/74 (Note: Lanny once drunkenly admitted to having had a wet dream about Hegel during his late teens.).
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    God, that comic is bad. So pretentious. So fucking pretentious. Can't believe how popular it fucking is. Tens of thousands of fucking fans... wtf...

I don't have anything to really contribute to this topic, except this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJ6fnqXQ_s
    Damn, I uncovered so many horrific things about human nature and society. This is definitely a major part of the reason I turned out the way I did and stopped being able to cope with the world.
    hydromorphone victim of incest [insincerely conduce my paisley]
    I think you might be on to something here. I know that when I am ovulating (or at least roughly around that time I SHOULD be) that I have more "brain farts" and in general seem to have slightly more memory issues than normal. I also tend to be incredibly more "lovey-dovey" overall, and if I was sexually active, I likely would be more open to sex at those times of the month as opposed to other times, I think.

My mother lied to my father to get pregnant with me. She told him that she had "accidentally" missed 1 single birth control pill (that'd she'd been taking for years). Now, the funny part is, not but a month or so before she would have conceived, she'd come. To my father saying "wouldn't it be nice to have a baby? My sister is having a baby! Blah blah blah.." and he said "Hey, we do have babies already! We have motorcycles and dogs and cats! They're are babies!" unfortunately he didn't get the hint.

Before marriage they'd said they both didn't want kids and agreed they'd have a life with dogs and motorcycles... Not ever having a human baby. Anyway... I and even he, after discussing this with me, thinks it's total bullshit she was on birth control one fucking time, one single pill and. Got pregnant. It's also funny too that she went in for a blood test the day of her missed period because they'd have been going away for a vacation and she wanted to know if she could drink or not... that came out of her own mouth and also fucked up part was shed said my whole fucking life I was a "planned" child but when confronting her with what I found out later in life, she back pedaled and said "well... We'd been talking about it..." lmfao. Yeah... I was planned, but not by the both of them. She manipulated and did shady shit to get pregnant and probably hadn't been taking birth control in fucking ages. I believe that with all my heart and I think it was fucking bullshit and horrible for ANY woman to get pregnant in such deceptive ways.

I was stupid when I got pregnant, believing I had fertility issues (though there was good reason to believe that being that I hadn't been using BC for 2 1/2 years and had been diagnosed with super bad ovarian cysts),but I fucking did at least make all parties aware of this and that they had their full right to wait until we could get condoms the next day... That was on both of them. I was honest, didn't lie or decieve anyone, albeit I was fucking retarded and stupid and should have never assumed I had fertility issues, not like that, but I can say no person was lied to or manipulated by me,nor would I ever- and for the record FUCK having another child. I am one and done. I made my mistake, now I'm going to live with it, and use the opportunity of having only one single "only" child to spoil the shit out of him and give him all my love, attention and devotion and make the best of a not so good thing. Malice- you were right... You were always right. I never disagreed with that. I NEVER will make that mistake again though.
    RestStop Space Nigga
    Just skimmed through OP but agreed that "accidentally" or not forgetting birth control is definitely sinister and evil as shit. This is why some soon to be fathers "forget" to come home after going to the store for a pack of cigarettes.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Well, at least you admit it, Hydro. We all have terrifying innate aspects of human nature, which we never chose, that we should be aware of and strive to overcome.

That's why I definitely want a vasectomy. I want zero chances of creating life, especially with my horrible genes and what an awful father I'd make.

Unfortunately cases like your mother's may be far more common than most would like to believe.
    Originally posted by RestStop Just skimmed through OP but agreed that "accidentally" or not forgetting birth control is definitely sinister and evil as shit. This is why some soon to be fathers "forget" to come home after going to the store for a pack of cigarettes.

There is a profound asymmetry to childbirth. Can't really blame men for wanting out of such a horrifying situation, although drugging her with an abortifacient would be the most intelligent and moral thing to do. One less life to ruin, no sense in having her drag you down with her.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by hydromorphone I think you might be on to something here. I know that when I am ovulating (or at least roughly around that time I SHOULD be) that I have more "brain farts" and in general seem to have slightly more memory issues than normal. I also tend to be incredibly more "lovey-dovey" overall, and if I was sexually active, I likely would be more open to sex at those times of the month as opposed to other times, I think.

My mother lied to my father to get pregnant with me. She told him that she had "accidentally" missed 1 single birth control pill (that'd she'd been taking for years). Now, the funny part is, not but a month or so before she would have conceived, she'd come. To my father saying "wouldn't it be nice to have a baby? My sister is having a baby! Blah blah blah.." and he said "Hey, we do have babies already! We have motorcycles and dogs and cats! They're are babies!" unfortunately he didn't get the hint.

Before marriage they'd said they both didn't want kids and agreed they'd have a life with dogs and motorcycles… Not ever having a human baby. Anyway… I and even he, after discussing this with me, thinks it's total bullshit she was on birth control one fucking time, one single pill and. Got pregnant. It's also funny too that she went in for a blood test the day of her missed period because they'd have been going away for a vacation and she wanted to know if she could drink or not… that came out of her own mouth and also fucked up part was shed said my whole fucking life I was a "planned" child but when confronting her with what I found out later in life, she back pedaled and said "well… We'd been talking about it…" lmfao. Yeah… I was planned, but not by the both of them. She manipulated and did shady shit to get pregnant and probably hadn't been taking birth control in fucking ages. I believe that with all my heart and I think it was fucking bullshit and horrible for ANY woman to get pregnant in such deceptive ways.

I was stupid when I got pregnant, believing I had fertility issues (though there was good reason to believe that being that I hadn't been using BC for 2 1/2 years and had been diagnosed with super bad ovarian cysts),but I fucking did at least make all parties aware of this and that they had their full right to wait until we could get condoms the next day… That was on both of them. I was honest, didn't lie or decieve anyone, albeit I was fucking retarded and stupid and should have never assumed I had fertility issues, not like that, but I can say no person was lied to or manipulated by me,nor would I ever- and for the record FUCK having another child. I am one and done. I made my mistake, now I'm going to live with it, and use the opportunity of having only one single "only" child to spoil the shit out of him and give him all my love, attention and devotion and make the best of a not so good thing. Malice- you were right… You were always right. I never disagreed with that. I NEVER will make that mistake again though.

jesus christ on a sparkplug dildo...you fucking yap on and on and on...

and nary a nude selfie around
    hydromorphone victim of incest [insincerely conduce my paisley]
    I agree with you, Mal. If I can't see and acknowledge my faults than I have 0% chance of overcoming those faults,thats why I am willing to own up to them and hopefully am able to use that knowledge to better myself and handle those faults as best as I can. It serves nobody to remain ignorant and in denial, even if it take deep and painful introspection to see what nobody wants to see in themselves,to hopefully use that for betterment.

I don't blame you on wanting a vasectomy. I think it's a good idea, though it is a shame, since you do have really wonderful qualities, such as this measure of sanity youre discussing now and many other things, but I do understand that especially for a person to live with the negatives of your condition that it is awful and I'd wish on nobody. You're truly a very considerate and selfless person,by thinking about your (hopefully never) unborn spawn, and considering the suffering they potentially would endure with your genes and being kind and caring enough to acknowledge that (where I failed, unfortunately) and want to do something to prevent that (as I am trying to do now as best as I am able to).

I've meant to ask you but have forgotten several times (LMFAO- hmm... Wonder if there's a connection?), but since you mentioned it, no time like the present to ask. I wanted to know if you had a source for abortifacient? I ask because while I don't ever intend to get pregnant again, IF I do (hey, I hope not, but shit, I could be raped or something and get pregnant, as unlikely as I would be, but it's still a possibility I want to avoid or at least be able to stop another mistake from happening (not saying my son is a mistake- he's not. I made the mistake of having a child at a bad time, with a bad person, under bad circumstances, along with not being the best set of genetic material myself to be spreading onward)). I want to have it on hand just in the event that I ever did need it to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. I would prefer the IM injection, but pills would be fine too and likely easier to get. If you do know somewhere for do find somewhere PLEASE email me the source(s) and/or somewhere to start looking. I would REALLY appreciate it, Mal. (also, do you know what it's average "ballpark" price for it is?)

Post last edited by hydromorphone at 2017-05-22T04:32:12.513405+00:00
    infinityshock Black Hole
    i know someone in the pregnancy situation as well, but it wasnt an 'accident' where party-A forgot protection or party-B lied about protection.

it was she wasnt on any birth control and enjoys the sensation...and apparently has an over developed motherly instinct. he wasnt entirely averse to getting her pregnant, either...more along the lines of if it happens, it happens

say-la-veeee.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Enter God, that comic is bad. So pretentious. So fucking pretentious. Can't believe how popular it fucking is. Tens of thousands of fucking fans… wtf…

there is actually an 'I didn't get the joke' button
    Hydro, I would probably look on the Darknet markets. There are probably vendors, ones in India can be really cheap, that stock it. I've actually seen discussions on this before, there's definitely a demand because so many places in the world either outright ban abortion or make it very difficult to receive one/place onerous restrictions on it.
    What is wrong with going to the doctor for an abortion?
    Originally posted by Discount Whore What is wrong with going to the doctor for an abortion?

Some states make it really difficult.

Also, it's possible there may not be much of a benefit: https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/6bo3ac/women_who_take_abortion_drugs_at_home_after/?st=j2zqvgqe&sh=b1928a6a

If I was a woman and accidentally became pregnant I'd rather take things into my own hands, although I'd be prepared to go to a hospital in case of complications.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    The best thing to do, regardless of any and all circumstances, is have your baby somewhere alone, wrap it in something, and discard of it. I guess you don't even have to wrap it up (heh). Might also want to suffocate it or snap it's neck first so it stays quiet.
    It's unfathomable that we don't have OTC birth control yet
Jump to Top