User Controls

One thing I don’t get about VPN

Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    How is it when I have a VPN connection google can still pinpoint my location? Like on my iPad at least I have #VPN but when I go to the google maps app it still pinpoints me? Shouldn’t #VPN be overriding all apps and not just the browser? Or is google just know it all anyway and master of everything?
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    If you don't have cellular or GPS built in then locations generally use nearby wifi hotspots as a guide, the big tech zaibatsus keep databases of the MAC addresses of wifi routers. My understanding is that your device will scan for them even when wifi is turned off, it's awful.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    the MAC address is only exchanged between you and the router. if you're using your browser to access Google maps the MACs are not passed on, if you're using an app it can potentially silently pass on any data on your device
    So the vpn is worthless then? Isnt even browser an app?
    depends on why you're using it
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Google maps works via a device based API. So what you're accessing from your own POV is more or less irrelevant.

In other words it's a shit sandwich that was never properly exposed, yet knows where your tomatoes are anyway.
    Explain that again?
    I want to hear the intricacies of how it works, the api and all to bypass #VPN.
    I was thinking about VPN yesterday. Are there any disadvantages to using one? I know some sites block VPN IPs, but then you just turn it off.

If there aren't I guess I'll probably start using a free one.
    people tend to abuse free ones so some sites will block their IPs because they get with scams/fraud/ddos regularly.

I use mullvad, cheap and they don't want your PI - they just generate you an account number, no login, and encourage you to pay with buttcoin
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by DietPiano I was thinking about VPN yesterday. Are there any disadvantages to using one? I know some sites block VPN IPs, but then you just turn it off.

If there aren't I guess I'll probably start using a free one.

You're going to hate yourself real quick using a free one.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    because google map is designed to get your location from your GPS sensor.

check your permissions and settings for AGPS as well.

97.3% of all people who use google maps want to know their location on earth.
    So the vpn doesnt set locarion the gps does? than how come the google browser srill sometimes can tell I am in Poland or displays Polish reuslts into search but when i check my ip it is like say U.S.? or euro google pops up not google.com/us?
    Originally posted by Wariat So the vpn doesnt set locarion the gps does? than how come the google browser srill sometimes can tell I am in Poland or displays Polish reuslts into search but when i check my ip it is like say U.S.? or euro google pops up not google.com/us?

thats why i told you to read the permission manifest.

all major apps access the GPS to get your location so that they can present resukts that are relevant to you.

when you search a shop theres no point showing you one thats located in vietnam.
    also some apps make use of cell tower id to pinpoint your location.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny thats why i told you to read the permission manifest.

all major apps access the GPS to get your location so that they can present resukts that are relevant to you.

when you search a shop theres no point showing you one thats located in vietnam.

Not GPS but recently my IP addy was constantly being set to some center in the next state over instead of the center like an hour away. Sometimes I'd get local results but most of the time I would get results for stuff like 10h away. I also got political ads for that state. It was really annoying.
    Originally posted by GGG Not GPS but recently my IP addy was constantly being set to some center in the next state over instead of the center like an hour away. Sometimes I'd get local results but most of the time I would get results for stuff like 10h away. I also got political ads for that state. It was really annoying.

what device and what browser ?

mozzilla isnt as intrusive as chrome.

or so i think.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny what device and what browser ?

mozzilla isnt as intrusive as chrome.

or so i think.

failing to get your location thru your GPS they fallback to using your IP geolocation.
    Originally posted by GGG Not GPS but recently my IP addy was constantly being set to some center in the next state over instead of the center like an hour away. Sometimes I'd get local results but most of the time I would get results for stuff like 10h away. I also got political ads for that state. It was really annoying.

just be more specific searching and block ads
    Originally posted by aldra just be more specific searching and block ads

you cant block them all with somehing like google news.

ive been uorigin blocking the weather thing but they keep changing their addresses so they keep showing up and inform me weathers a few states away.
Jump to Top