User Controls

Anyone here experienced with Arduino, or at least electronic circuitry more generally?

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    So I'm trying to do a bunch of rewiring of an apartment building intercom and this is pretty much me right now...

Anyway, this is the circuitry for the intercom:

The main components I'm seeing here are:

1. Audio IN and OUT.
    2. Buzzer IN.
    3. Door release OUT.

I want to connect these to an Arduino (I have one lying around... I have basically only put together a flashing LED setup... The "hello world" of electronics basically).

So, how do I input audio into an Arduino device (and in turn into a Raspberry Pi or other miniature computer)?

And then audio output?

And buzzer input (which I would then, on a continuous loop, listen for any incoming voltage... And in turn send a message from the RPi to, say, my cell phone - which by the way, software/networking wise, no problemo whatsoever for me).

Then I, using a virtually identical mechanism, only in reverse, send a voltage signal OUT to the DOOR RELEASE.

Software-wise, I've got it all solved so far.

But, like, which of these Arduino pins do I connect each wire from the intercom device to?

Also, I have so far deduced/inferred the door release mechanism is based on a constant flow of voltage that is temporarily disrupted via the mechanical button on the intercom that you push to let the person in.

I don't want that to be DIRECTLY manipulated by the Arduino, because then if my computer crashes, the front entrance to the entire building is now compromised.

I want to somehow SEND an impulse that disrupts the voltage flow already occurring inside the intercom.
    Originally posted by gadzooks

It's these four wires coming out of the intercoms board (currently wired to the "phone handset" style end) that I want to connect to the Arduino.
    Like, audio IN and audio OUT, for starters... are they ANALOG or DIGITAL signals???
    Somebody here go and get an electrical engineering degree, then come back and give me some advice in a couple hours...

...or not.

snab_snib African Astronaut
    the fuck do you need an arduino for.

Originally posted by gadzooks Like, audio IN and audio OUT, for starters… are they ANALOG or DIGITAL signals???

obviously they're fucking analog you retard.

Originally posted by gadzooks It's these four wires coming out of the intercoms board (currently wired to the "phone handset" style end) that I want to connect to the Arduino.

just tape them to it. that counts as connecting.
    OH SHIT I just noticed something... The door release mechanism is IN BETWEEN (i.e. built into the intercom's board)...

That adds YET ANOTHER complication.

I'm not giving up tho.

I'mma figure this shit out.
    Originally posted by snab_snib the fuck do you need an arduino for.

obviously they're fucking analog you retard.

just tape them to it. that counts as connecting.

Then how do I get the sound into (and out from) a program on the RPi?????
    And who the fuck tapes wires to things?

I'm gonna solder this shit like a real G.
    you're not going to do shit because you have a mental illness. stop doing meth or whatever it is that you're doing. leave the fucking intercom alone. you're a complete fucking idiot and have no business messing with electric devices. if you were smart you'd just wire it to a fucking jack and plug it into your computers mic in. but you're not smart, you just like to pretend that you are, but since you aren't, anything you do under the assumption that you are smart will fail completely. start living under the assumption that you're a fuckin idiot and you'll get better results
    Originally posted by snab_snib obviously they're fucking analog you retard.

Are all of them going to be analog?

I get why audio would be analog (being sound waves and all), but the constant voltage loop controlling the door release mechanism, for example, isn't that binary, and thus digital?

I admitted from the get-go I'm not all that knowledgeable about electronic circuitry, so you calling me a retard is not only mean (kind of to be expected around these parts I suppose), but completely unnecessary, as I beat you to the punch.
    Originally posted by snab_snib you're not going to do shit because you have a mental illness. stop doing meth or whatever it is that you're doing. leave the fucking intercom alone. you're a complete fucking idiot and have no business messing with electric devices. if you were smart you'd just wire it to a fucking jack and plug it into your computers mic in. but you're not smart, you just like to pretend that you are, but since you aren't, anything you do under the assumption that you are smart will fail completely. start living under the assumption that you're a fuckin idiot and you'll get better results

So I can actually connect those two wires to any old audio in/out jacks?

I'm skeptical, but I suppose I might give it a shot.

If you're wrong, though, I'll be back to call you the retard.
    Originally posted by gadzooks I get why audio would be analog (being sound waves and all), but the constant voltage loop controlling the door release mechanism, for example, isn't that binary, and thus digital?

you don't even know the difference between analog and digital. delete this fucking thread and get better at flipping burgers.
    Originally posted by snab_snib you don't even know the difference between analog and digital. delete this fucking thread and get better at flipping burgers.

Well then, enlighten me as to why the Arduino has both analog AND digital inputs/outputs...

If you can't, confirmed retard.
    Btw, everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses... You may (STILL TO BE DETERMINED since you haven't contributed much other than insults so far) be more knowledgeable than I am about electronics... But I imagine there are PLENTY of things I'm more knowledgeable about than you are...

Not being an autistic sociopathic dickwad while interacting with other human beings is most certainly among them though.
    My running theory is that you suffer from hardcore Dunning-Kruger syndrome.
    fuck off retard
    Originally posted by snab_snib fuck off retard

^ literally you.
    fuck off, retard
    You've demonstrated ZERO technical knowledge other than that audio signals are universally analogue.

Congratulations...

Jump to Top