User Controls

Constructing an Impenetrable Fortress

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    As many of you have surmised by now, I have a bad habit for letting derelicts and reprobates into my home.

Factor in that I live in a town absolutely brimming with such unwanted visitors, and you have a recipe for perpetual failure in life.

I thought of just relocating to another town, but I've been doing that my whole life. I need to stop running away from my problems and start facing them and dealing with them head on. But first, I need some space to allow me to rebuild some of the momentum I once had.

So therefore, I have set out to construct an impenetrable barrier between the undesirables that dwell outside, and the peace, safety, and tranquility conducive to productivity and personal and psychological growth that exists inside these walls.

Here is my entire plan laid out for others to see. I feel like if I make a public declaration of my itemized checklist of steps required (largely inspired by Octavian's recent "Next week I will..." thread), that I will be more likely to follow through on each step.

So here goes:

1. Rewiring my apartment intercom so I can more easily intercept visitors that at least have the decency to try to use the front door like a normal visitor. I also want to be able to completely block any potentially noisy "buzz" sounds altogether after hours, or while I'm particularly busy during the day and need to focus.
    1A. Download and study the precise intercom wiring schematics.
    1B. Purchase soldering kit and wire cutters/strippers and various other things I might need for this project.
    1C. Work out how I am going to reconnect all the different components into an Arduino board and Raspberry Pi so that it can all be controlled via devices on my network.

2. Controlling unwanted visits at my rear patio door (the bane of every ground floor apartment dweller).
    2A. Install outdoor (WiFi connected) camera with two way voice communication (so that I can first see who it is, then ask them what they want, all before even approaching the door, let alone having to open it to find out). I also believe that the camera will also deter the more criminally oriented visitors (it will probably freak them out and maybe keep them away entirely), or the more crazy/paranoid perpetually drugged out and/or schizo ranters and so on (who will be likewise freaked out and likely not return).
    2B. Install pressure sensor mat that will immediately turn on the outdoor camera's lights. This is also meant more as a deterrent to hopefully remind people that A FUCKING REAR PATIO DOOR ISN'T MEANT TO BE KNOCKED ON WHEN A PERSON HAS A FRONT DOOR YOU FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE FUCKS!!!11 (sorry, temporary side rant).

3. Add speech-to-text and text-to-speech interception of BOTH front intercom AND rear patio, so that I can actually just let the machine answer it if I feel like it. I think I'm gonna have a recording of Consuela (of Family Guy fame) saying "Noo, noo, Superman not home."

4. A backup plan for the especially persistent.
    4A. Wrap barbwire around baseball bat.
    4B. Approach patio door with said bat and have the curtains automatically slide over and a bright light automatically shine directly on me.
    4C. If they still don't get the hint... Proceed to bludgeon unwanted visitor with said bat.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    "no you can't come in - fuck off"

Works great and requires little technical knowledge.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson "no you can't come in - fuck off"

Works great and requires little technical knowledge.

I'm aware that I'm taking the super autistic approach rather than just being assertive...

I am working on the assertiveness angle simultaneously, and have been getting much better at saying "no."

My yes/no ratio has been gradually improving with the necessary exercise it's been getting recently.

But I need more... just an extra layer of security.

Plus, the whole project is actually pretty fun and educational for me.
    Also, the "just no - fuck off" bit doesn't overcome the middle of the night front door buzzings that wake me up, or the assholes that tap on the rear window at any time of day, because I can't tell them to fuck off without first stopping everything I'm doing and going to see who it is I'm telling to fuck off.
    Number 3 on my outlined plan allows for automated "fuck off" responses.

The future is now.
    Octavian motherfucker
    Originally posted by Octavian

That'll be my backup plan.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Also, the "just no - fuck off" bit doesn't overcome the middle of the night front door buzzings that wake me up, or the assholes that tap on the rear window at any time of day, because I can't tell them to fuck off without first stopping everything I'm doing and going to see who it is I'm telling to fuck off.

Everything takes time, those stragglers will learn eventually that ringing your bell doesn't ring your bell...
    Schplew Houston
    An impenetrable Fortress would be considered a Bastion.
    Ghost Black Hole
    get a sign like this

I think that sign might just attract more.

Like wtf?

I suppose I can just test each wire one at a time, but it would be nice if the colors matched.

At least, I'm assuming that those wires have a direct correspondence (except for the ground wire... I get why that one doesn't need to go to the actual phone/intercom device).
    Also, by any chance, does anyone here know precisely how the door release mechanism works?

I guess it's a constant electrical signal that, when interrupted (by a button mechanically suppressing it), the front door is released.

I gotta be extra careful about mucking around with all this because if I fuck something up, the front door to the entire building will be unlocked 24/7... lol.
    Common De-mominator African Astronaut
    Anyone have that classic gif of police trying to ram a door in and it blows them the fuck up?
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    Originally posted by gadzooks As many of you have surmised by now, I have a bad habit for letting derelicts and reprobates into my home.

Factor in that I live in a town absolutely brimming with such unwanted visitors, and you have a recipe for perpetual failure in life.

I thought of just relocating to another town, but I've been doing that my whole life. I need to stop running away from my problems and start facing them and dealing with them head on. But first, I need some space to allow me to rebuild some of the momentum I once had.

So therefore, I have set out to construct an impenetrable barrier between the undesirables that dwell outside, and the peace, safety, and tranquility conducive to productivity and personal and psychological growth that exists inside these walls.

Here is my entire plan laid out for others to see. I feel like if I make a public declaration of my itemized checklist of steps required (largely inspired by Octavian's recent "Next week I will…" thread), that I will be more likely to follow through on each step.

So here goes:

1. Rewiring my apartment intercom so I can more easily intercept visitors that at least have the decency to try to use the front door like a normal visitor. I also want to be able to completely block any potentially noisy "buzz" sounds altogether after hours, or while I'm particularly busy during the day and need to focus.
    1A. Download and study the precise intercom wiring schematics.
    1B. Purchase soldering kit and wire cutters/strippers and various other things I might need for this project.
    1C. Work out how I am going to reconnect all the different components into an Arduino board and Raspberry Pi so that it can all be controlled via devices on my network.

2. Controlling unwanted visits at my rear patio door (the bane of every ground floor apartment dweller).
    2A. Install outdoor (WiFi connected) camera with two way voice communication (so that I can first see who it is, then ask them what they want, all before even approaching the door, let alone having to open it to find out). I also believe that the camera will also deter the more criminally oriented visitors (it will probably freak them out and maybe keep them away entirely), or the more crazy/paranoid perpetually drugged out and/or schizo ranters and so on (who will be likewise freaked out and likely not return).
    2B. Install pressure sensor mat that will immediately turn on the outdoor camera's lights. This is also meant more as a deterrent to hopefully remind people that A FUCKING REAR PATIO DOOR ISN'T MEANT TO BE KNOCKED ON WHEN A PERSON HAS A FRONT DOOR YOU FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE FUCKS!!!11 (sorry, temporary side rant).

3. Add speech-to-text and text-to-speech interception of BOTH front intercom AND rear patio, so that I can actually just let the machine answer it if I feel like it. I think I'm gonna have a recording of Consuela (of Family Guy fame) saying "Noo, noo, Superman not home."

4. A backup plan for the especially persistent.
    4A. Wrap barbwire around baseball bat.
    4B. Approach patio door with said bat and have the curtains automatically slide over and a bright light automatically shine directly on me.
    4C. If they still don't get the hint… Proceed to bludgeon unwanted visitor with said bat.

no offense... just seems like you're going through a lot of effort over nothing.. I mean where do you live niggertown or something?

and also i think you gonts need to keep constantly using the word "derelict"
    Originally posted by Bill Krozby I mean where do you live niggertown or something?

Pretty much.
    derelicttown.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    I would use super sonic force fields. If the intruder steps into the field, all the molecules in his body get scrambled and start to fall apart, and he just turns into a liquid pile of jello-like material.
    Technologist victim of incest
    Has anyone penetrated you yet?
    mikeyagain African Astronaut [unalterably regard the persecutor]
    Originally posted by Octavian

Bats in a gun game...

Jump to Top