User Controls

Windows maintenance

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    We all know that Windows is a shitshow - this thread isn't about that.

Recently after an update, my wireless started giving severe problems, disconnecting after a few hours, refusing to connect, hanging on restart, etc.

I had to restore from a previous point, but even then the problem persisted, just not as bad. Windows machines are so random in how the behave. I tried everything, like installing drivers, uninstalling devices, etc. Then I remembered it was ages since I ran a registry cleaner. I downloaded CCleaner, ran it, and now my computer works way faster, the fan isn't constantly on, and the wireless issue went away.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    OK NVM, problem is back resetting the whole shitshow now.

This computer won't run linux nicely btw.
    stl1 Cum Lickin' Fagit
    I think I read somewhere to use a vinegar and water solution and old newspapers.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    whoami Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    windows 10 is bomb, watchu talkn bout
    whoami Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    Originally posted by whoami It's a steaming pile of shit with telemetry that can't be fully disabled unless you painstakingly keep track of and firewall the IPs of their tracking servers.

I wouldn't give a shit about the telemetry if it actually did something useful.

I suspect some pajeet prints off our telemetry data and then simply jacks off on it.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Windows is now garbage. Do what I did. Switch to WindowsXP Professional, download and install all the security updates, install a rule-based firewall, download the latest version of Chrome that supports WinXp, and you will have a perfectly smooth-running OS and flawless wireless connection.
    "Do what I did"

-Spectral
    Reset my PC, but the dumbass problem just came back.

Decided it must be a hardware problem and removed the card, but the problem still seemed to persist using a USB wifi adaptor.

Right now I assume that it must be that I have multiple hotspots all with the same name set up around here to provide wireless coverage. Android and MacOS and even this Windows machine never cared before the latest updates, but I've turned the cloned/repeated hotspots off to see if that helps.
    The cloned hotspots are on different channels too, so it SHOULDN'T be causing problems.
    Well apparently that wasn't it. I snipped the old wireless card in two and bought a cheap one from China on ebay.

I assume hardware problems can cause security errors on windows or something. FML.
    billfred Yung Blood
    Post the hardware ID of the wireless adapter you are having trouble with.
    Originally posted by billfred Post the hardware ID of the wireless adapter you are having trouble with.

I chopped it in two. Replacement should be arriving soon.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by whoami So many problems I've had with Windows over the years have led to a reinstall after hours of bashing my head on the desk. With loonix fixing problems is almost always straightforward if you know the command line reasonably well. Despite this Wangblows still has a reputation of being easy while loonix is thought of as something only elite hackers can use. Reality is the opposite of social consciousness, as is the case with many things today.

To be fair "my DM is laggy shit and it's because the non-proprietary GPU drivers that come default are dogshit" is not something that's at all obvious if you're comfortable with a CLI. I've administrated a few webservers in my time and an fully comfortable in that domain but if you ask me to set up a linux workstation the black rite necessary to make noobuntu play nice with a GPU and make X handle multiple monitors in a non-retarded way comes down to google shit and blindly editing config files. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, it's just that there are _plenty_ of sharp edges remaining even in the supposed "2019 year of the linux desktop" distros.
    Originally posted by Lanny To be fair "my DM is laggy shit and it's because the non-proprietary GPU drivers that come default are dogshit" is not something that's at all obvious if you're comfortable with a CLI. I've administrated a few webservers in my time and an fully comfortable in that domain but if you ask me to set up a linux workstation the black rite necessary to make noobuntu play nice with a GPU and make X handle multiple monitors in a non-retarded way comes down to google shit and blindly editing config files. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, it's just that there are _plenty_ of sharp edges remaining even in the supposed "2019 year of the linux desktop" distros.

Protip: buy the hardware that is well supported by the software. Don't necessarily assume Linux will install, or be stable
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    that's bullshit though! We have fucking interface standards, this shit is not new. I should be able to buy hardware that's designed to a standard and not require fucking black magic unauditable third party horseshit botnet code blob to be sitting in memory to talk to a piece of hardware that has a standardized interface.

Failure to design to standards, or worse the jedividia approach of providing shitty unnecessarily bad second string but auditable software on the pretense of supporting open source, is a liability for any rational self interested agent building a computer today. Capitalism a shit
    whoami Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    Autistic child care.
    The problem with wireless is continuing on my laptop, even with usb wifi adaptors. It seems completely random, and I don't even think Windows is responsible any more, it must be HP's shitty firmware or something.

I got a nice little ex-corporate Thinkpad and put Linux on it, so it will be my main machine nao.
Jump to Top