User Controls

Talk To Your Daughters

stl1 Cum Lickin' Fagit
    D e a r dads: Your daughters told me about their assaults. This is why they never told you.

Monica Hesse

A man emailed recently in response to something I’d written about street harassment. He was so glad, he said, that his college-age daughter never experienced anything like that. Less than a day later, he wrote again. They had just talked. She told him she’d been harassed many, many times — including that week. She hadn’t ever shared this, because she wanted to protect him from her pain.

For all the stereotypes that linger about women being too fragile or emotional, these past weeks have revealed what many women already knew: A lot of effort goes into protecting men we love from bad things that happen to us. And a lot of fathers are closer to bad things than they’ll ever know.

“Two of my daughters have told me stories that I had never heard before about things that happened to them in high school,” Fox News anchor Chris Wallace mused on air last Thursday, as he urged skeptical viewers to carefully consider the testimony of Christine Blasey Ford.

If you are a father who hasn’t heard these stories, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. They’ve been pouring into my inbox almost every day.

To the father of the young woman who was assaulted by the student athlete she was hired to tutor: She never told you because she didn’t want to break your heart. But she told me, in a long email, because the memory of it was breaking her own heart and she’d spent five years replaying it.

To the father of the junior high student who was pinned down and undressed at a gathering 30 years ago: She didn’t tell you because she didn’t want to see you cry. But she told me that she still remembers every detail.

To the father of the teenager who was raped at a party. You don’t know about this, because she was certain that if you knew, you would kill her attacker and go to prison, and it would be her fault.

To the father of the son who was assaulted by an older man: I wish I could tell you more about what happened to him, but he wouldn’t tell me, and he definitely won’t tell you, because manliness is important to you, he says.

To all the fathers of all the silent victims: Your children are quietly carrying these stories, not because they can’t handle their emotions but because they’re worried that you can’t. They are worried that your emotions will have too many consequences. Or they fear you won’t think of them the same way. Or that you’ll be distraught because you didn’t protect them.

“It meant I would have to talk about something sexual,” one woman wrote me, about why it took her decades to tell her father about an assault at a pool party when she was 10. “And that was a completely taboo subject.”

I have been thinking lately about taboos, and how many of them exist because women don’t want to make men uncomfortable with lady pain — a broad spectrum that includes cramps, breast-feeding, the viscera of childbirth, the achiness of menstruation.

Some grown men still react to tampons as if they’re grenades, and as a result, many grown women still furtively pass them between ourselves in shadowy corridors, so nobody else feels awkward.

It’s silly, and we must know this at some level. But if the mention of Tampax makes a man need a fainting couch, is it any wonder we decide he’s not ready to hear messier stories?

A d e a r friend shared this week that she was repeatedly molested as a kid. She’s fine now, she said. The only reason she hadn’t spoken up publicly was because her father still didn’t know; it would devastate him. She saw the irony in this — that even in her own recovery, she had been concerned with shielding a man from agony.

“But Lord, my dad’s done an awful lot for me,” she wrote. “And I can and will do this for him.”

This makes sense to me. All of us want to protect our loved ones from painful information. I don’t want this woman’s father to have to deal with it either.

But when I think of my friend’s valiant secrecy, I want to cry.

So, to the rest of you: If you can tell your father in a way that feels safe, and in a way that would bring you comfort, tell your father. Tell your brothers. Let them be uncomfortable; let them share some of your pain. Don’t let them be ignorant. If your fathers are going to form beliefs about how victims should act and what perpetrators look like, then force your father to deal with the complication of making those assumptions about someone he loves.

And if you yourself are a father, and you believe this would never happen to your daughter — how do you know?

She might not have told you. But she has told me.

A 50-something woman called me this week. She told me her father was the parent she always wanted to impress; disappointing him was the worst thing she could imagine. That’s what was in her mind 40 years ago when a group of neighborhood boys lured her into a house and assaulted her, one of them watching the door, two of them digitally penetrating her. She was thinking about how she didn’t want to disappoint her father.

Last week, this woman began feeling like her dad couldn’t really know who she was unless she told him about the attack. She called him, and the story came out in a tumble.

On the telephone that day, she says, he spoke to her in his “dad voice.” Not the adult tone he usually used when they talked now. But in the voice of her childhood, comforting and parental.

In his dad voice, he told her she didn’t have to share the whole story with him now. But when she was ready, he wanted to listen.

monica.hesse@washpost.com
    america, the india that you didnt know exists.
    Originally posted by stl1 But when she was ready, he wanted to listen.

cuck
    Archer513 African Astronaut
    They wanted it

They all want it
    You are a sad cunt op.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    I'll talk to yourdaughter. I'll dirty talk to her while harassing her.
    I don’t know who’s raising these shrinking violet women...

The women in my family will send your nuts into your stomach and get nails full of flesh if you get out of line.

Women are equal and what not 👍🏻
    Originally posted by Archer513 They wanted it

They all want it

Oh my Christ I hate retarded women.
    Originally posted by Archer513 I don’t know who’s raising these shrinking violet women…

The women in my family will send your nuts into your stomach and get nails full of flesh if you get out of line.

Women are equal and what not 👍🏻

men in your family are weak.
    If I have a daughter I don't want to hear her retarded sex stories about being fingerblasted.

I WILL warn her about Muslims, niggers and jedis, who actually do most of the raping.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny men in your family are weak.

Let’s arm wrestle Benny
    Originally posted by Archer513 Let’s arm wrestle Vinny

if you think arm wrestling is a good benchmark of strength, then you have already proven yourself weak.

and beta.
    FIsticuffs

Bar whore snagging

Dismantling and boring a 400 big block

Lifting of heavy objects

Dick measures

Pick your poison Benny
    Of course Monica Hesse is jedi.

How can anyone read her article and not see it as what it is - ethnic warfare. An attempt to make white men feel guilty, spured on by hatred of whites.

Monica Hesse doesn't give a shit about your daughters. Monica Hesse doesn't care when white girls are killed by illegal Mexicans. She doesn't care when white girls are raped by jedis like Harvey Weinstein. She styles herself a feminist and an activist, but doesn't want to hear about muslim rape gangs.

Monica Hesse does hate white men however, and clings to anything that makes white men appear bad, amplifying it and repeating it endlessly to anyone who will listen.

People like OP don't have an original thought in their head. TV is their only friend. They have nothing going on, and slowly degenerate mentally over time from jedis on TV telling them constantly how their friends and neighbours are pure evil, out to get them, rapists, etc. And as they grow more isolated they cling more and more tightly to the TV, and the jedis, and the one way conversation that is their only social interaction of the week.

Congratulations OP. You're a complete and utter victim. One of the biggest victims I've ever encountered.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Archer513 FIsticuffs

Bar whore snagging

Dismantling and boring a 400 big block

Lifting of heavy objects

Dick measures

Pick your poison Benny

you clench your ass as hard as you can while i try to nudge my penis into it.

if i broke thru into your ass, i strong.

if my penis bend before it punch thru your ass, you strong.
    Benny,your lil Asian pecker doesn’t have the length to make it past my muscular ass.

Your pee pee couldn’t reach the balloon knot...
    Originally posted by Archer513 Benny,your lil Asian pecker doesn’t have the length to make it past my muscular ass.

Your pee pee couldn’t reach the balloon knot…

words.

Could there be an agenda behind all this?
    infinityshock Black Hole
    women are all kinds of into voting rights and sekshual eekwally-ity...marching for all kinds of womens lib.

riddle me this: why not a single whimper about women signing up for selective service.

egg. zactly.
Jump to Top