User Controls

powerful but non-addictive drug could replace morphine

NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Interesting

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2178001-opioid-crisis-powerful-but-non-addictive-drug-could-replace-morphine/

A new opioid drug blocks pain in monkeys without any apparent addictive or dangerous side-effects.

Opioids like morphine, oxycodone and fentanyl are good at stopping pain but can also be addictive. In the US alone, more than 46 people die every day from overdoses involving prescription opioids.

Mei-Chuan Ko at Wake Forest University in the US and his colleagues found they could simultaneously block pain and prevent addiction using a drug that activates two types of opioid receptors in the brain.

The first receptor – the mu opioid receptor – is the classic pain-relieving receptor targeted by traditional opioids. The second – the nociceptin opioid receptor – blocks the brain’s addiction-forming response, while also providing additional pain relief.

The drug, named AT-121, was 100 times better at reducing pain in monkeys than morphine. Ko and his colleagues assessed this by measuring how long the animals were prepared to keep their tails in uncomfortably warm water at 50°C after taking varying doses of the two drugs.

Stopping addiction
    The novel opioid also had no apparent addictive properties. The monkeys in the study readily self-administered oxycodone and cocaine but not AT-121. This is a promising finding because monkeys and humans are close evolutionary relations and have similar addiction mechanisms, says Ko.

Another advantage was that AT-121 didn’t cause breathing problems, even at high doses. Existing opioids are dangerous when taken in excess because they can interfere with people’s ability to breathe.

At the moment, the drug must be administered by injection, but Ko’s team is working on developing a pill form.

The researchers hope to begin a clinical trial of AT-121 in 18 months’ time. If successful, it could become available to consumers in the next 6 years.

Journal reference: Science Translational Medicine, DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aar3483

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Rock_N_Rollover African Astronaut [my obsessively old-time raunch]
    What stock should we buy?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    bitcoin

infinityshock Black Hole
    this is not news.
    stare rape African Astronaut (banned)
    They said the same thing about methadone and buprenorphine
    Originally posted by stare rape They said the same thing about methadone and buprenorphine

oxy too

Originally posted by infinityshock this is not news.

wrong

infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by NARCassist wrong

you are correct in that you are wrong

non-addictive pain killers have always been available but it is precisely because of the addictive nature of opiates that they are intentionally marketed and other analgesics intentionally suppressed from distribution.

opiates have been a marketable commodity that have been forced…literally, at the point of guns in several instances…onto the world population to assure a steady stream of income to the aristocracy
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    I want now. I need to make friends with some monkeys

Inb4racistjoke
    Glokula's Homabla African Astronaut
    The jedis must be having a breakdown right now lmao

Dont be surprised if this project disappears and never becomes available for some unspecified reason (money)
    Glokula's Homabla African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Glokula's Homabla The jedis must be having a breakdown right now lmao

Dont be surprised if this project disappears and never becomes available for some unspecified reason (money)

Absolutely this
    stare rape African Astronaut (banned)
    Originally posted by Glokula's Homabla The jedis must be having a breakdown right now lmao

No, it will just be more addictive than all the others
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Sounds like a load of horseshit. Like was mentioned in this thread, they said the same thing about all of the synthetic/semi-synthetic opioids.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    friend sent me this the other day

It's presently non-addictive because it doesn't cross the BBB; the only current ROA is via the spinal column which doesn't really allow for self-administration.

Do some tolerance testing once you have a viable delivery method, faggots

I'll bet it's significantly more addictive given its potency
    People - even Doctors - seem to think that drugs can be developed to become better like phones or cars, and a new drug is going to be better than an old drug.
    mso8 Houston
    >tfw no non-addictive opioid gf
    why even live?
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by mso8 >tfw no non-addictive opioid gf
    why even live?

>tfw gf
    >tfw she brings the opioids

Of the addictive variety, but i'm not complaining.
    mso8 Houston
    Originally posted by Sophie >tfw gf
    >tfw she brings the opioids

Of the addictive variety, but i'm not complaining.

that's a pretty good feel, if i do say so myself
Jump to Top