User Controls

Is college really worth the cost? Finishing with five and sometimes six figure debt?

Rock_N_Rollover African Astronaut [my obsessively old-time raunch]
    They are fucking the middle class again. The rich can afford it. Others get it for less.

https://www.facebook.com/UndividedATTN/videos/326371104774715/

Pick one.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+truth+about+the+college+student+debt+crisis+
    These loan are NOT wiped out in bankruptcy. They are never forgiven.

Well, you could die.
    Teach yourself what you need/want to learn. Formal education is for the stupid.
    This guy is funny.

Tells it like it really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7W5zTzhf0o
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    OP, before applying for student loans to cover tuition costs, try these suggestions;

1) good academic grades

2) scholarship (s)

3) grants (some employers offer grants to their employees)

4) many states offer fee free courses for state residents who graduate from high school in their state and go to college the first semester after HS graduation (paid for by moneys from state lotteries)

Any little bit helps.
    Employers who insist on formal grades are stupid too (except obviously for things like doctors etc). As a person who has and does hire and fire...the last thing I'm concerned about when interviewing someone is if someone has a degree or not, I focus on experience, common sense and the overall vibe I get from them. I've met more idiots with degrees than without.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Glokula's Homabla African Astronaut
    you dont need to go to a school with a dorm and a hottub
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    University education historically was not concerned with professional training, it should surprise no one that it isn't ideally suited towards that end. What should surprise us is that the misguided middle class idea that college education is supposed to come with a promise of future employment seemed to hold up for so long.

Also the reason student loans are not forgiven in bankruptcy is because almost everyone graduating college has no assets. If it was most reasonable people would just default on their loans the second they graduated, the repayment rate would be so low no institution could break even on offering student loans.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    itybit African Astronaut [daze my amino pe-tsai]
    Here in NC most employers even for entry level positions require a diploma even if it has nothing to do with the job you will do
    Bologna Nacho African Astronaut
    I haven't had to show my diploma for any job I ever had except when I joined the military.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Bologna Nacho I haven't had to show my diploma for any job I ever had except when I joined the military.

Your physical diploma generally isn't what an employer uses for verifying your educational background.
    A lot of employers who claim to do background checks/employement/education checks etc, don't actually do them.

When I worked for Compaq/HP they did about 3 out of 10 checks on new hires.
    Originally posted by Lanny Your physical diploma generally isn't what an employer uses for verifying your educational background.

So what is?

I need to pay like €100, or have a long, multi-day argument, to get a college to recognise my Higher Diploma.

How do employers confirm a diploma?
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    The real question is...will a higher education actually make you happy in life?
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING 2.0 - The GMO Reckoning So what is?

I need to pay like €100, or have a long, multi-day argument, to get a college to recognise my Higher Diploma.

phone call to verified number or online
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING 2.0 - The GMO Reckoning So what is?

By calling the university and having them verify that you were a student and attained the degree you claimed. As was already mentioned, it's common to be taken at your word and for this step to be skipped, but just because you weren't asked for a physical copy of your diploma doesn't mean none of your employers have called your university to verify it.
    Originally posted by Lanny By calling the university and having them verify that you were a student and attained the degree you claimed. As was already mentioned, it's common to be taken at your word and for this step to be skipped, but just because you weren't asked for a physical copy of your diploma doesn't mean none of your employers have called your university to verify it.

Ugh.

I was scammed by someone who claimed to be a Chartered, Certified, etc. Accountant. S*** M*****, FMCA.

When I needed my experience recognised, of course he was nothing of the sort.

The pure bullshit. But my career more or less over before it had begun.

Fuck that shit for me. If my protege isn't up to my level it should be obvious to me.

It shouldn't be easy to maintain a fake FMCA certification.

Accountants are a bunch of fags.
    Bill Houston [my protanopic apetalous kneel]
    Education is very important for your future survival as a functioning adult. The only people who disagree with this fact are children.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Bill Education is very important for your future survival as a functioning adult. The only people who disagree with this fact are children.

But education doesn't == college.
    Originally posted by SBTlauien But education doesn't == college.

Exactly. Most of the useful shit I've learned I learned myself, part of my job here is designing new circuit boards etc for our products...I had zero schooling for that and just learned it myself over the years of doing it, same with Chassis design, computer programming (Back in the day), soldering, CAD etc etc...all self taught.
Jump to Top