User Controls

Doing a NAS Build

Lanny Bird of Courage
    I've been thinking of setting up small server in my home. Since I'm being cucked by comcast I couldn't run any serious outward facing services on it, but lately I've been feeling a bit nervous about backups. I have backups for most the stuff I care about, but they're all on hardware I don't own. Given the MS acquisition of github I'm feeling the need to keep a local mirror of my projects and my music collection is sitting in a cut rate data center somewhere that I fully expect to go up in smoke through admin incompetence, and it'd be nice to mirror my seedbox on my local network so I don't have to put up with comcast throttling the shit out of me at peak hours. I also have some significant matlab batch jobs it might be nice to ship off to a server so I can have my workstation either going in parallel or I can play videogames while that runs on another server, although that's secondary.

I'm thinking of doing a RAID 5 setup, I definitely want redundancy and the ability to expand in the future would be nice, which is why I chose a case with extra drive racks (also you can get it in this sick orange color: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSHZ5MU). Tentative parts list below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - A10-9700 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($82.40 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.29 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $584.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-18 17:32 EDT-0400

Any comments/suggestions? I was hoping to keep the build under $500 which I overshot a bit. Not sure what to cut though. I could probably get a cheaper CPU (and mobo, consequently) but I feel like I'm giving up a lot of perf for that next fifty or so bucks. I do feel kinda dumb spending more on the mobo than CPU though, I'm not sure if it's AMD sockets or motherboards have just gotten expensive or because I'm buying at the lower end or because I'm doing mini-ITX but I'm not seeing anything below $100 that isn't getting trashed in reviews.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    esbity African Astronaut
    I say do it.
    PrettyHateMachine African Astronaut
    Just back your stuff up to lto6 or 7 then for accessing media locally or over the net throw some 10tb drives in a tower and install freenas.
    Raid is gay and backing stuff up to a hard drive is for retards.

I have a wdex4100 with 24tb of storage, it's pretty naisu.
    I was using it as a torrent server and storage but now I'm thinking of dedicating it as a Plex server for VR.

For me personally, as far as backing things up goes I'm gonna save up and buy a lto7 drive and some tapes.
    Lto7 tapes are 15tb ... should be enough.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    I was keeping a local mirror of all my GH projects anyway, why wouldn't you? Also 6TB, is good amount of storage, i need to repair my old PC, i got 2TB of storage with 250 SSD for the OS on that one. Got lazy and bought an off the shelf PC and rolled Backbox Ubuntu onto it. Oh well.
    6tb is puny
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine 6tb is puny

Nigga, you might hoard doujins and shotacon anime adaptations in crisp 4k but i can barely fill 1TB with the data i keep on my local machine.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    why not just get a dedicated NAS device?
    Originally posted by Sophie Nigga, you might hoard doujins and shotacon anime adaptations in crisp 4k but i can barely fill 1TB with the data i keep on my local machine.

>4k
    Wtf year is this, 2013?
    I only save my shotakon fappings in glorious 24k 360*

Also what are you storing that is so small it hardly fills up a 1tb drive?
    Are you .... a streaming plebe???!!!!
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine >4k
    Wtf year is this, 2013?

Are you …. a streaming plebe???!!!!

you live in a car

do you even have a 4k tv/screen?
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine >4k
    Wtf year is this, 2013?

Are you …. a streaming plebe???!!!!

Your eyes can't even see in 24k, motherfucker.
    Originally posted by aldra you live in a car

do you even have a 4k tv/screen?

I'm moving into an apartment soon enough.
    Also with my next paycheck I'm gonna buy an Oculus Go.
    Physical tvs are outdated and irrelevant.
    Originally posted by Sophie Your eyes can't even see in 24k, motherfucker.

Nigga do you even 360*
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine Nigga do you even 360*

Of course not, nor do i get in pissing matches over 'muh technology'. Adequate is adequate and that does not mean mediocre my digital aryan loli friendo.
    >2018
    >using a physical tv

I don't even own a TV, I'M ON THE MONITOR NIGGA!

Originally posted by Sophie I don't even own a TV, I'M ON THE MONITOR NIGGA!

What is the size of your monitor?
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine What is the size of your monitor?

22 inches.
    Originally posted by Sophie 22 inches.

p u n y

Get an hmd!
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine p u n y

Get an hmd!

Not sure why you're so obsessed with size bro...
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine p u n y

Get an hmd!

have you actually used one? resolution leaves a lot to be desired, I'd wait a few generations
Jump to Top