User Controls

Is this logic sound? Looking for a critique.

So a school gets shot up and 17 kids get killed and everybody mourns and cries and puts the killer in prison forever. Good, he deserves it. 99.9999% of people probably agree with this. But is it not hypocritical that we condemn this sort of senseless violence, but then turn right around and indulge in our smart phones and electronics that were made by kids in China at a factory where working conditions are so shitty that they had to install suicide nets on their building, from materials that were mined by kids in Africa who work in extremely shitty conditions for 8 cents a day, without a second thought on the matter? Are people's morals sold out that easily, that we look the other way when it comes to some serious human rights violations and people dying, just for the sake of a little extra convenience? It seems to me like people don't really have morals, it's all just senseless virtue signalling.
    Not an SG thread!
    You should do some reading up on the concept known as “The Monkey Sphere”, then you’ll understand this phenomena
    Originally posted by Fox Paws Not an SG thread!

This is definitely an SG thread.
    Is this what you're talking about? I don't see how it relates to what I'm talking about at all.

The Monkey Sphere (also known as Dunbar’s number ) is a theory from evolutionary biology which was derived from the study of groups of monkeys (or more specifically non-human primates) in Africa. Researchers studying monkey clans found that as a clan’s size grew towards a magical number of 150 monkeys, communication systems would break down, and the clan would break into two separate clans. These clans would then each again grow to 150 members, split into two groups, rinse and repeat. Researchers postulate that this barrier of 150 members could not be exceeded due to the communication strain on the clan as the number of nodes exceeded 150. Dunbar and others postulate this same theory applies to human relationships.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    so how do you feel about your tax dollars buying smart bombs to drop on schools and children's hospitals in other countries?

you're paying for that to happen

after the aurora shooting, gun sales in Colorado spiked. Sure, we are mentally sound. Right?
    Originally posted by NARCassist so how do you feel about your tax dollars buying smart bombs to drop on schools and children's hospitals in other countries?

Yea, I know. I never said or implied that that wasn't the case, and that's only barely tangentially related to my point. How about you actually think about your reply so that you can address what I'm saying instead of just knee jerking your way into an irrelevant reply, like some normie?
    Originally posted by greenplastic Is this what you're talking about? I don't see how it relates to what I'm talking about at all.

People don’t give a shit about other people’s problems unless it hits close to home. This is why Americans care more about 17 dead kids than, say, hundreds of thousands of people dying in a tsunami in some shitty country. The closer a tragedy is to your monkey sphere, the more you care.

If people really cared about other people’s suffering as much as they claim, we would all sell everything we own and donate the money to poor countries. After all, being homeless and broke in America is still better than what the poor brown childrens are going through in Afreeka :’(
    Originally posted by Slaynk after the aurora shooting, gun sales in Colorado spiked. Sure, we are mentally sound. Right?

Once again, what the fuck does this have to do with what I'm saying? I don't understand why people have such a difficult time responding to a single topic without changing the subject.
    Originally posted by Fox Paws People don’t give a shit about other people’s problems unless it hits close to home. This is why Americans care more about 17 dead kids than, say, hundreds of thousands of people dying in a tsunami in some shitty country. The closer a tragedy is to your monkey sphere, the more you care.

If people really cared about other people’s suffering as much as they claim, we would all sell everything we own and donate the money to poor countries. After all, being homeless and broke in America is still better than what the poor brown childrens are going through in Afreeka :’(

Right, so we are in agreement.
    Originally posted by greenplastic Right, so we are in agreement.

Correct. I’m just explaining the biological/sociological reasons why this happens. Human brains are literally hardwired this way.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by greenplastic So a school gets shot up and 17 kids get killed and everybody mourns and cries and puts the killer in prison forever. Good, he deserves it. 99.9999% of people probably agree with this. But is it not hypocritical that we condemn this sort of senseless violence, but then turn right around and indulge in our smart phones and electronics that were made by kids in China at a factory where working conditions are so shitty that they had to install suicide nets on their building, from materials that were mined by kids in Africa who work in extremely shitty conditions for 8 cents a day, without a second thought on the matter? Are people's morals sold out that easily, that we look the other way when it comes to some serious human rights violations and people dying, just for the sake of a little extra convenience? It seems to me like people don't really have morals, it's all just senseless virtue signalling.

no, its hypocritical that people arent focusing on a tragedy for what it actually entails. theyre focusing on what the media and MINITRU tells them to focus on and be outraged about.

and...you have absolutely no clue on what goes on with child labor in foreign countries. based on what you posted you are listening to some MINITRU uber-liberal propaganda.

true child-labor abuses have not once (that ive seen) been in current mainstream media.
    Originally posted by greenplastic Yea, I know. I never said or implied that that wasn't the case, and that's only barely tangentially related to my point. How about you actually think about your reply so that you can address what I'm saying instead of just knee jerking your way into an irrelevant reply, like some normie?

i was just pointing out that it gets even worse, the contradiction that is.

its like people in the west get angered and argue against child prostitution in 3rd world countries, yet not prostituting their kids can mean starvation for the whole family over there, with little alternative. the civilized world is full of inconvenient contradictions.

Originally posted by NARCassist i was just pointing out that it gets even worse, the contradiction that is.

its like people in the west get angered and argue against child prostitution in 3rd world countries, yet not prostituting their kids can mean starvation for the whole family over there, with little alternative. the civilized world is full of inconvenient contradictions.

Oh, yea, sorry to be testy. You're right.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Fox Paws People don’t give a shit about other people’s problems unless it hits close to home. This is why Americans care more about 17 dead kids than, say, hundreds of thousands of people dying in a tsunami in some shitty country. The closer a tragedy is to your monkey sphere, the more you care.

for the record...i dont give a shit about other peoples problems except where it is in my own monkey sphere of about two dozen people.

if jesus h. christ un-ascended from heaven right now, handed me a big red button that said 'everyone-off button', i'd press it without a second thought then go back to tending my flower garden.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Fox Paws You should do some reading up on the concept known as “The Monkey Sphere”, then you’ll understand this phenomena

youre not taking into account the media deluge of telling everyone how theyre supposed to think and what theyre supposed to do
    Originally posted by infinityshock youre not taking into account the media deluge of telling everyone how theyre supposed to think and what theyre supposed to do

Yeah that part is implied.
    Originally posted by infinityshock for the record…i dont give a shit about other peoples problems except where it is in my own monkey sphere of about two dozen people.

if jesus h. christ un-ascended from heaven right now, handed me a big red button that said 'everyone-off button', i'd press it without a second thought then go back to tending my flower garden.

You garden, finny?!
Jump to Top