User Controls

Recommend me a Mini-ITX Motherboard

aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Need to get a new one eventually; one of my RAM sticks and slots is fried (likely due to the heat here - it's been somewhere between 40-50 degrees, I have a watercooling loop but no waterblocks on the RAM sticks, which I'll fix when I can).

Right now I'm running on one 8GB stick which is plenty to be honest, but I do want to change out the motherboard sometime. I'll be resleeving a bunch of cables too because the ones I have are too long for such a small case.

Currently running a Gigabyte Z270-N which I was happy with, was considering one of the MSI Carbon models because they're relatively cheap and have (faux?) carbon fibre shrouds that look ace as well as a high-output onboard DAC. The heavy soldering for extra strength is a nice thing to have too, but if you're taking the GPU out and replacing it often enough to weaken the joints you're either getting paid to do benchmarks or joint strength is the least of your worries

In terms of features there's nothing special I need - no USB-C devices, I have a gigabit network so wireless isn't necessary, already have a standalone lighting controller so no need for that aura/mystic light gayness... Currently using DDR4-3000, but I'll need to get another pair later on so higher supported clock speed would be nice.
    faggots
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    i dunno i was gonna look up what i ordered from newegg but they send me so much junkmail i cant find the order confirmation. w/e it is dont buy it, theres only a few usb ports and half of them give me grief. some kinda gigabyte
    WTF I was hoping you could recommend one to me
    mini itx is stupid i think i picked the case and built a computer around it i should have used a grown up size case
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I'd chime in if I knew anything but I've never done a mini-ITX build.

Honestly people talk about the superiority of regular ITX but even there it doesn't seem worth the extra money for the added airflow when you can throw another aftermarket fan in the case for $20 and blow away any advantage the case layout is going to give you.
    Originally posted by Lanny I'd chime in if I knew anything but I've never done a mini-ITX build.

Honestly people talk about the superiority of regular ITX but even there it doesn't seem worth the extra money for the added airflow when you can throw another aftermarket fan in the case for $20 and blow away any advantage the case layout is going to give you.

you meaning ATX motherboards?

most obviously is having more than two ram sockets and more than one expansion card slot

the longer I/O area gonna mean you probably get more USB connectors plus other connectors so less likely to need bullshit usb hubs etc

and if u use a fullsize case room for more drives etc
    i think the reason i built one is cause i followed mini-itx.com since like 6 or 7th grade and loved seeing them shoe-horn computers into stupid cases and it stuck with me.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Yeah, there's no benefit to Mini-ITX except the form factor. You pay more for less RAM and PCI bays; I'm just a big fan of the cube form factor (you can do it with Micro-ATX for cheaper, but it ends up being bigger).
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Oh, err, I mean mini-ITX where I said "regular ITX". Meaning relative to ATX. Every build I've ever done has been ATX because I've never needed the smaller form factor.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    ive been reading up on this stuffs since that thread i started about getting a new PC and everyone saying 'build one...dont buy one.'

like has already been mentioned: the only advantage to the mini-itx is the ability to shoe-horn it into a small case at the cost of versatility. i was 'playing' (literally...i have no idea about what to do with modern PCs) with a few motherboards of different sizes and based on that i would not use a mini-itx because of what a pain in the dick it was working on components in the confines of something so small along with the lack of real estate to install stuffs. the fullsized ATXs are the only ones Id want to have to do any real component adjustments to...especially the comparatively sized huge ones.

the other factor is lack of 'thunderbolt-3'...that feature is sorely lacking in anything other than the larger sized MBs.

mostly irrelevant, but if want to have some fun try fucking with one of those raspberry thingys.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Dang, bro.

I am an MSI fanboy faggot. MSI makes great hardware. I stand by their shit and I champion their products. I'd recommend an MSI board. Your post was vague enough I could afford to be as well. Get the best you can afford that matches your RAM, CPU slot, Southbridge compatibility, etc.
    Now that I think of it, can you be a lad and post a high-res pic of the faulty slot and the surrounding area? kthnx
    Originally posted by Grimace Now that I think of it, can you be a lad and post a high-res pic of the faulty slot and the surrounding area? kthnx

I will next time I open it

I looked fairly closely at it last time and couldn't see anything that should be a problem
    Originally posted by aldra I will next time I open it

I looked fairly closely at it last time and couldn't see anything that should be a problem

Only reason I ask, because a lot of the time, it's a faulty component that is easily replaceable.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Grimace MSI makes great hardware.

DFI > MSI.

nuff said.
    Originally posted by benny vader DFI > MSI.

nuff said.

Don't you ever speak to me like that again. Do you understand me?
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Grimace Don't you ever speak to me like that again. Do you understand me?

me > u.
    Wow. You went there. Wow. Wow. Wow, bro. Wow.
    On the real tip though, we need to know your current hardware. What CPU are you using? You said your current RAM type. What about peripherals? SATA? M.2?

WE NEED TO KNOW.
Jump to Top