User Controls

A statistical question

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Because I'm dumb.

So take this statement - *people who eat spicy foods nearly every day have a 14% of living longer.*

Whether it's true or not, does it imply that NOT eating spicy food gives you an 86% chance of living longer? Or does it mean out of a bunch of spicy and non-spicy eaters, the non-spicy will always have a 0% chance of living longer and the spicy people will have at least 14%?

I'm probably overthinking it. Idk. Help me out here.
    RestStop Space Nigga
    The statement itself doesn't make sense. If it were rephrased "People who eat spicy shit damn near every day live 14% longer fam" then it would make sense but it would still be a bullshit statement with really no valid facts contained within it.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    That's why I don't get it, fam. 14% isn't a good chance, but it is as opposed to 0%. I don't know how to interpret it.
    RestStop Space Nigga
    I would just go with "you may live slightly longer if you eat banana peppers everyday"...even still that doesn't take into account underlying health problems, alcoholism, sleeping disorders, getting murdered etc...doesn't really matter if you eat a whole jar of jalepenos errday if you get ran over by a bus LOL...

But I'm being a hair splitting cunt about it. In all seriousness though I don't know where these statistics are proven or how they could be.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I understand m8. Like I said, whether it's true or not and all the other factors that could be factored in, I just NEED TO KNOW where the 86% goes to.
    In this situation, you have two groups. A control group, who lives as normal. And a spicy-eaters group, who eats spicy food. The study finds that the control group lives for 100 years. The spicy-eaters live for 114 years. Some of the control group lived to 120 years, and some of the spicy-eaters lived to only 98. But they take the average of this number and come up with the end result. So it doesn't mean that the control CAN'T live longer, we see clearly that a few of them have lived to 120. It just means that the spicy eaters tend to live longer within the entire study group.

Usually these studies try to account for things like premature deaths, smoking, alcohol consumption, illness, etc.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I'm going to thank that but I'm still not satisfied for some reason.
    WHAT THE FUCK ELSE DO YOU WANT
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I dont know. I DON'T KNOW. I HATE IT. I HATE IT ALL.

*DRINKS A MILLION TOBASCO BOTTLES AT ONCE* *LIVES FOREVER I GUESS*
    Originally posted by 哈哈你看不懂中文 In this situation, you have two groups. A control group, who lives as normal. And a spicy-eaters group, who eats spicy food. The study finds that the control group lives for 100 years. The spicy-eaters live for 114 years. Some of the control group lived to 120 years, and some of the spicy-eaters lived to only 98. But they take the average of this number and come up with the end result. So it doesn't mean that the control CAN'T live longer, we see clearly that a few of them have lived to 120. It just means that the spicy eaters tend to live longer within the entire study group.

Usually these studies try to account for things like premature deaths, smoking, alcohol consumption, illness, etc.

I don’t think that’s exactly right. It doesn’t say that spicy food eaters on average live 14% longer, it just says that they have a 14% higher chance of living a longer life. If I’m reading it right
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Fox Paws I don’t think that’s exactly right. It doesn’t say that spicy food eaters on average live 14% longer, it just says that they have a 14% higher chance of living a longer life. If I’m reading it right

Lol
    Originally posted by Fox Paws I don’t think that’s exactly right. It doesn’t say that spicy food eaters on average live 14% longer, it just says that they have a 14% higher chance of living a longer life. If I’m reading it right

yEAH YOU'RE RIGHT I READ IT WRONG MYy bad

In terms of how these studies are done they mean the same thing, only difference is in how idiot journalists (mis)interpret and report on the findings.
    Yea where did you read this mmq? I can't really interpret that in any meaningful way and I doubt that whatever they're trying to say is necessarily true in the first place because if this was based on some study, the scientists conducting it might find that there's a correlation between eating spicy foods and living longer, but they definitely wouldn't say that eating spicy foods causes you to live longer, unless there were a shitload of studies done all saying the same thing.
    People who eat spicy foods nearly every day have a 14% chance of living longer than those who consume spicy foods less than once a week, according to a new study. Regular spicy food eaters also are less likely to die from cancer and heart and respiratory diseases than those who eat spicy foods infrequently.

“The findings are highly novel,” said Lu Qi, associate professor in the Department of Nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Channing Division of Network Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and the study’s co-lead author. “To the best of our knowledge, this study is the first reporting a link between spicy food intake and mortality.”

The study appeared online August 4, 2015 in BMJ.

The researchers looked at health and dietary data gathered from 487,375 people, ages 30-79, who were enrolled between 2004-2008 in the China Kadoorie Biobank. Participants with a history of cancer, heart disease, and stroke were excluded from the study. During a median follow-up of 7.2 years, there were 11,820 deaths among men and 8,404 deaths among women.

The results showed that men and women who regularly ate spicy food were less likely to have died during the study period than those who ate spicy food less frequently. They also were less likely to have died from certain diseases, including cancer and heart and respiratory diseases. The association was observed after adjustment for other known or potential risk factors, and was stronger in people who did not drink alcohol than in those who drank.

Fresh and dried chili peppers were the most commonly used spices reported by the Chinese study population. Capsaicin and other bioactive ingredients in chili peppers have been found in previous studies to have anti-obesity, antioxidant, anti-inflammation, and anticancer properties, but the authors caution that more research is needed to determine if there is a direct link between these ingredients and lowered risk of death.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/frequent-spicy-food-consumption-linked-with-lower-death-risk/

The first sentence of this article contradicts the last sentence. And this shit is published by a Harvard website? This is why I take drugs, just because you work in academia doesn't mean you aren't a complete retard apparently. Also

"The association was observed after adjustment for other known or potential risk factors, and was stronger in people who did not drink alcohol than in those who drank."

wut
    Originally posted by greenplastic https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/frequent-spicy-food-consumption-linked-with-lower-death-risk/

The first sentence of this article contradicts the last sentence. And this shit is published by a Harvard website? This is why I take drugs, just because you work in academia doesn't mean you aren't a complete retard apparently. Also

"The association was observed after adjustment for other known or potential risk factors, and was stronger in people who did not drink alcohol than in those who drank."

wut

I doubt they controlled for genetic confounds so the finding is probably worthless.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by mmQ Because I'm dumb.

So take this statement - *people who eat spicy foods nearly every day have a 14% of living longer.*

Whether it's true or not, does it imply that NOT eating spicy food gives you an 86% chance of living longer? Or does it mean out of a bunch of spicy and non-spicy eaters, the non-spicy will always have a 0% chance of living longer and the spicy people will have at least 14%?

I'm probably overthinking it. Idk. Help me out here.

this is the only axiom relating to statistics that anyone needs to know:

98% of all statistics are made up
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    They are just trying to draw correlations. They likely misassociate it as causation because there is no way to account for and control all factors. Take it with a grain of salt, and a bottle of tobasco.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by infinityshock 98% of all statistics are made up

no,

recent statistics has shown that this has gone down to 96.76%.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by benny vader no,

recent statistics has shown that this has gone down to 96.76%.

thats only because the statistical data were compiled by the Journal of Extraordinarily Worthless Statistics who obviously skewed the results.
Jump to Top