User Controls

I want to make a game.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    I had the idea i would make simple game. It would be mostly text based, the player takes the role of a hacker at his/her desktop. And gets jobs through email or "encrypted messages" and the plot would develop through those types of interactions. Kind off like a throwback to those old school ASCII games. Now the thing is, i am not much of a GUI developer but what i would like is just have a window for the game, in which i have an emulated desktop environment with a terminal and some icons that the player can interact with to simulate opening apps or sending commands and that sort of thing. Basically i want to make it look a little like this.

Now this is actually Openbox on Arch which looks pretty damn cool if you ask me, i want that but then contained within an interactive app with a story element.

Now my question to you is how do i go about building something like that with python? I was thinking maybe with PyQt but i don't know the first thing about Qt in general. If you could provide some resources, tips, code examples or anything that will help me get started i would be much obliged. Thanks guys.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Dibs on 1st controller
    LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    ^lame excuse to talk about himself and his shitty game
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    I need to learn soldering, I got a kit
    Originally posted by Joe Kane Ohaiyo! I want to help you sophia and gain more exp in the programming realm. I was looking over the python lany github this morning and I think I may have re-taught myself coding while I made FELA WATAH

here is some examples of stuff i worked on

https://newtotse.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=228&sid=a76b5aa908397e2c1d3a2fbba9dbff10#p146

https://github.com/Drymouth-Gulch/Drymouth-Gulch

Post last edited by Joe Kane at 2017-09-15T20:00:37.370245+00:00

Post last edited by Joe Kane at 2017-09-15T20:00:55.034385+00:00

Did you even read the thread? That's not at all the type of game i want to make.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Who is going to download and play your game if it's in Python? I guess you could use the Android-Python plug-in.

Think more about how you're going to deploy it so that others can easily play it.

Yours truely,

Failed Game Programmee
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    I'm just a program and you are just a program.

That's the way that its always been and always will be.
    Originally posted by SBTlauien Who is going to download and play your game if it's in Python? I guess you could use the Android-Python plug-in.

Think more about how you're going to deploy it so that others can easily play it.

Yours truely,

Failed Game Programmee

Thanks for the concern but I'd just compile to exe with Py2Exe or Pyinstaller. People on linux can just straight up run the source seeing as the Python interpreter is basically standard issue on any distro.

I still need to know how to emulate a nice desktop environment though. That will literally be the hardest part for me. I was looking at RenPy but that's a little bit nigger tier. Coco2d module looks good but UI programming with it looks pretty foreign to me as well.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Sophie I had the idea i would make simple game. It would be mostly text based, the player takes the role of a hacker at his/her desktop. And gets jobs through email or "encrypted messages" and the plot would develop through those types of interactions. Kind off like a throwback to those old school ASCII games. Now the thing is, i am not much of a GUI developer but what i would like is just have a window for the game, in which i have an emulated desktop environment with a terminal and some icons that the player can interact with to simulate opening apps or sending commands and that sort of thing. Basically i want to make it look a little like this.

Now this is actually Openbox on Arch which looks pretty damn cool if you ask me, i want that but then contained within an interactive app with a story element.

Now my question to you is how do i go about building something like that with python? I was thinking maybe with PyQt but i don't know the first thing about Qt in general. If you could provide some resources, tips, code examples or anything that will help me get started i would be much obliged. Thanks guys.

sounds like a game i used to play way back during the nixon administration on my TRS-80.

Originally posted by infinityshock sounds like a game i used to play way back during the nixon administration on my TRS-80.

Yeah it would be like that. But a little bit more true to life. A lot of these types of games are not very realistic in the hacking department.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Sophie Yeah it would be like that. But a little bit more true to life. A lot of these types of games are not very realistic in the hacking department.

back in those days real life hacking wasnt interesting.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Originally posted by infinityshock sounds like a game i used to play way back during the nixon administration on my TRS-80.

While working on the game, Psycho will discover time travel and go back in time to teach himself coding with the very game he himself created in the future.

He is also his own grandfather.
    Originally posted by RisiR † While working on the game, Psycho will discover time travel and go back in time to teach himself coding with the very game he himself created in the future.

He is also his own grandfather.

Woah...
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Img too big[

Post last edited by RisiR † at 2017-09-16T15:01:38.580076+00:00
    I wasn't being sarcastic if that's what you're asking.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    No..no.

Frye is his own grandfather and you love that meme. It would've worked here perfectly. I just had to do that.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Sophie I still need to know how to emulate a nice desktop environment though. That will literally be the hardest part for me. I was looking at RenPy but that's a little bit nigger tier. Coco2d module looks good but UI programming with it looks pretty foreign to me as well.

I think you should just start from scratch and add whatever you need as you go.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    just write it literally as a desktop app - you could use GTK or QT5 or whatever, or even an HTML5 interface if that tickles your pickle
    Originally posted by Joe Kane I was just demonstrating im at least somewhat barely competent im the art of coding JEEZ YOU GUYS NEVER GIVE ME THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ALWAYS PUTTING ME DOWN IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE ANY OF YOU!!

Which didn't answer his question at all and only served your own narcissism.
    There was most certainly a question in the OP, retard.
Jump to Top