User Controls

Should I read dune?

My friend keeps recommending it but it's long af and idk if it's really worth it.

Opinions?
    infinityshock Black Hole
    jedi.
    Yes. The sooner the better. The more sci fi you read without reading things like Fine, the works of Aasimov etc, the more these works will lose their power on you because of "Seinfeld isn't funny any more" syndrome.
    antinatalism Tuskegee Airman
    didn't read it, but i watched the movie directed by lynch and it was quite awful, probably the worst lynch's film i've seen tbh
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by antinatalism didn't read it, but i watched the movie directed by lynch and it was quite awful, probably the worst lynch's film i've seen tbh

the movies are always worse than the books.
    antinatalism Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by infinityshock the movies are always worse than the books.
    not always, for instance tarkovskij's solaris was better than the novel (although the novel was pretty good as well)
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by antinatalism not always, for instance tarkovskij's solaris was better than the novel (although the novel was pretty good as well)

dunno...didn't see or read either one.

the dune series was innovative and sophisticated enough, even the ones written by his brat. i just abhore the underhanded and snide jedi-slime they have to sneak into everything they're involved with.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Dune is one of my favorite books of all time, so I have to say yes. I think I posted what I thought of it a while back but to reiterate: it has some trappings of a teen fiction, young male protagonist, some action that probably isn't necessary, the writing is a bit angsty at times. It's my firm belief this is an artifact of realities of the sci-fi buying demographic of the time, by the time you get to God Emperor it's like 700 pages of soliloquy punctuated in three spots with really half-hearted action/adventure scenes that could mostly have been cut.

That blemish aside it's an amazing novel. It's a book that manages to build an interesting and fleshed out political world from a single character's perspective better than nearly any I've read, an early pioneer of "one big lie" style sci-fi I think it remains one of the best explorations of that approach. Also Herbert does very well at avoiding the gadget fiction genre excesses of the era.

The first book stands alone, it's by far the best of the series. The remaining books by Frank Herbert are worth reading if you liked Dune but they're not required to complete the story. The books his son wrote have been de-canonized on the grounds of being absolute dogshit.
Jump to Top