User Controls

Speaking of reddit posts, I also want to share a post from reddit

twistquest Yung Blood
    There's this guy who has Asperger's, and he's really concerned about how he's unintelligent because he doesn't score high on IQ tests. He's worried about it so much, he's considering suicide over it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/6kcb20/im_suicidal_because_i_fear_i_am_unintelligent_and/?utm_content=full_comments&utm_medium=user&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=frontpage

He also posts about it on the Mensa subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mensa/comments/6kced0/im_suicidal_because_i_fear_i_am_unintelligent/

But man, why do people think IQ testing is valid? While it's correct to a degree, there are so many flaws in psychometrics, and it's insane how people can become fixated on that. I feel bad for this person, he clearly has had no one there for him in his life. No wonder he's so fucked up and focused on the wrong things.... :(

Post last edited by twistquest at 2017-07-05T06:31:10.666923+00:00
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    is that you?

He needs to stop hanging around places that focus on IQ; his isolation stops him from getting balanced perspectives on the importance of raw intelligence in general. IQ doesn't translate into any real, tangible benefit; it's more or less the potential to achieve.

In terms of IQ tests specifically, I think IQ COULD be a good benchmark for intelligence-potential, but preparation for such tests and the repeated performance of such essentially condition a person to think specifically in the way those tests operate - essentially unless you go into it blind, you're not being tested for general intelligence, you're being tested on how well you can game an IQ test.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra is that you?

He needs to stop hanging around places that focus on IQ; his isolation stops him from getting balanced perspectives on the importance of raw intelligence in general. IQ doesn't translate into any real, tangible benefit; it's more or less the potential to achieve.

In terms of IQ tests specifically, I think IQ COULD be a good benchmark for intelligence-potential, but preparation for such tests and the repeated performance of such essentially condition a person to think specifically in the way those tests operate - essentially unless you go into it blind, you're not being tested for general intelligence, you're being tested on how well you can game an IQ test.

This. For example: spoo.
    twistquest Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 This. For example: spoo.

What and why?
    Originally posted by twistquest What and why?

sploo's a weapons-grade on here who tends to obsess over IQ tests
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Without reading anything of anything other than seeing a guy with aspy's wants to kill himself cuz he's not smart, my initial thought is whatever. He's not different than anyone else that wants to kill themselves for any reason.

Sure, he should GET SOME HELP.

The answer is suicide. It's the answer for EVERYONE that struggles with this stuff, regardless of what mental conditions or physical abnormalities are imposed on you. JUST DIE. So easy. Those who don't choose this EASY OPTION, NEARLY FREE, RECOMMENDED, GUARANTEED, need no longer complain anymore when the medicine is always sitting in front of them.

Suicide contemplaters are nothing more than average citizens. Fantasy life.

If you're not ready and willing to kill yourself, then shut the fuck up about wanting to do it (takes own advice). It's your easy solution so just fucking do it, or shut the fuck UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

:prancycat:
    Originally posted by mmQ Without reading anything of anything other than seeing a guy with aspy's wants to kill himself cuz he's not smart, my initial thought is whatever. He's not different than anyone else that wants to kill themselves for any reason.

Sure, he should GET SOME HELP.

The answer is suicide. It's the answer for EVERYONE that struggles with this stuff, regardless of what mental conditions or physical abnormalities are imposed on you. JUST DIE. So easy. Those who don't choose this EASY OPTION, NEARLY FREE, RECOMMENDED, GUARANTEED, need no longer complain anymore when the medicine is always sitting in front of them.

Suicide contemplaters are nothing more than average citizens. Fantasy life.

If you're not ready and willing to kill yourself, then shut the fuck up about wanting to do it (takes own advice). It's your easy solution so just fucking do it, or shut the fuck UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

:prancycat:

You know just as well as the rest of us that it's not that easy.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 You know just as well as the rest of us that it's not that easy.

You're right. I wish it was.
    Originally posted by mmQ You're right. I wish it was.

So do I. But maybe it's for the better.
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 So do I. But maybe it's for the better.

What about it is difficult for you?
    Originally posted by Dargo What about it is difficult for you?

It would totally destroy my family and I'm somewhat worried about potential consequences in the afterlife

Really though I know my issues are purely mental, I have no reason to feel the way that I do, everything is going well for me
    twistquest Yung Blood
    Originally posted by aldra sploo's a weapons-grade on here who tends to obsess over IQ tests

That's what I thought you meant, just needed clarification
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    There is a strange solace in being depressed, and knowing people like/love you.
    Originally posted by mmQ There is a strange solace in being depressed, and knowing people like/love you.

Tbh I think it makes it worse in my case
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 Tbh I think it makes it worse in my case

Yeah maybe solace wasn't the right word. A strange...

I don't know the word.

I know what you mean though. In simple form, it's like being on a sports team where everyone is rooting for you to do well, and you keep being shitty at the sport, but they keep rooting for you, and you're like 'FUCK, STOP IT. I'M NOT GOOD AT THE SPORT,' but they tell you we're not here for you to do good we're here to support you and just watch you play, and then you get all sad and emotional and cry uncontrollably on the middle of the field holding up the game all awkwardly while everyone else in the audience boos at you. :)
    holy shit I didn't expect that to work
    Originally posted by aldra is that you?

the tests are valid if they're normed on a population with a similar amount of practice. so high range tests give real iq scores but if a person doesnt have experience with tests the scores they receive will be deflated. there's a learning curve just like any logical system, but after the learning curve it plateaus to a persons potential ability.
    the real problem isn't intelligence testing, it's autistic people. gas autistic people: problem solved.
    twistquest Yung Blood
    Originally posted by sploo the real problem isn't intelligence testing, it's autistic people. gas autistic people: problem solved.

That's a rabbit hole I've been cautious of going down.
Jump to Top