User Controls

Sony to resume making vinyl records

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170629_33/

YOU HEAR THAT NIGGERS

PHYSICAL ISN'T DEAD

THE ERA OF HUMAN-TO-ALBUM CONNECTION IS COMING BACK!

Hopefully all the independent musicians get in on this wave and physical comes back for good and stays here.
    I love my cds, without the physical element the music doesn't feel as special. Sony to resume making vinyl records
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Hikikomori-Yume https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170629_33/

YOU HEAR THAT NIGGERS

PHYSICAL ISN'T DEAD

THE ERA OF HUMAN-TO-ALBUM CONNECTION IS COMING BACK!

Hopefully all the independent musicians get in on this wave and physical comes back for good and stays here.
    I love my cds, without the physical element the music doesn't feel as special. Sony to resume making vinyl records

I used to buy heaps, haven't in like 5 years or so though. There used to be an awesome CD shop in the city, Redeye, but they've moved to a tiny backroom and have hardly any range anymore. Every now and then I buy a bunch via mail order from specific labels but eh, sucks not being able to browse.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I have a small vinyl collection but I doubt sony's going to put out anything I'd want to buy. I prefer buying from labels direct, the idea is to support the artist I DGAF about the actual physical artifact. Nyquist theorem and all that.

Post last edited by Lanny at 2017-07-01T03:56:21.744753+00:00
    can someone explain why analog sounds so much better than digital?
    Originally posted by 10 Ft. Ganja Plant can someone explain why analog sounds so much better than digital?

psychology
    shut up i know it's a hipster trend
    it does sound clearer
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by 10 Ft. Ganja Plant can someone explain why analog sounds so much better than digital?

ALLEGEDLY the vinyl surface has the capacity to store more 'information'...as in subtle intonations and frequencies of the music...than digital storage media does. when i looked into it back when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth there werent commonly available terabyte-sized storage media for general consumption. mp3s of 3MB or so was the norm. considering that...todays storage media may be (i dont know...guessing) closer on par with vinyl/analog media sound quality.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by 10 Ft. Ganja Plant shut up i know it's a hipster trend
    it does sound clearer

the sound is different, but it's not clearer - you could get the same 'sound' as vinyl by running digital through a enhancement
    digital works by breaking the audio down into chunks, the sound can change up to 24,000 times per second or something. with analogue the resolution depends on the consistency of the vinyl and how precisely it can be cut and read, but as far as I know it's not possible to get anywhere near the precision of a standard wavetable, let alone those massive studio lossless files.

I think a lot of the preference for vinyl is due to either nostalgia or 'elitism', because having access to it is a lot rarer nowadays than it used to be
    fag Houston
    I hope they put the new ghostbusters soundtrack on vinyl, sony is a shitty company even though playstation is better than xbox.
    Vinyl does not sound better than properly recorded and mastered digital, anybody who says otherwise is a retard and doesn't know what they're talking about.

With vinyl you have the analog muddiness and distortion, the sonic limitations of the medium, the decay that comes with repeated plays and age ...
    Cds stay perfect forever as long as you take care of them.

I like vinyl for the size and weight.
Jump to Top