User Controls

Are you happy with your life?

What could be better? What are you happy isn't worse?
    I'm 100% happy. Yay lyfe.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    It's 'aight, been kinda down for the last year although not for any real reason. My life's quite comfortable but that kinda makes me feel stagnant, bored. It's happened before, I know what it takes to get out of a slump, it just takes a lot of work and empty hedonism is much easier.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    What about you Discount Whore? Aside from the bleeding anus.
    *sigh*
    Originally posted by Actor *click*

ftfy
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Hell no, my quality of life is horrendous. Autism is an awful disorder to have.
    RestStop Space Nigga
    Honestly not really. I have only a few people I would consider true friends and probably another 100 people who would call themselves my friends but they really aren't but simply get some advantage from knowing how to contact me or knowing my first name. Nearly everyone of these "friends" are immature, selfish, and addicted to some type of drug and are always "sorry" for something a 5 year old would do.

It is to be expected being a criminal and landlord so I really can't use the "poor me" excuse but people being shitty gets really fucking old after a while. I tend to think some people are just "lost" though. There's a small percentage of these people who aren't actually bad people by choice but rather they just have no goals, ambition, drive or purpose. They just float around the earth on a pathless journey to no where and this renders their morality unused because fuck it what does anything matter anyways? There's nothing to jeopardize in their future because they feel they have no future..at the very least not one worthy of anything.

That being said I'm pretty successful financially but the novelty of that wears off pretty fast and I'm afraid I'll end up being this Raymond Reddington - esque person within the next 10 years but actually that doesn't even really seem all that bad.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I'm doing alright; I'd be an asshole to complain

so I guess I'm an asshole
    Originally posted by Lanny It's 'aight, been kinda down for the last year although not for any real reason. My life's quite comfortable but that kinda makes me feel stagnant, bored. It's happened before, I know what it takes to get out of a slump, it just takes a lot of work and empty hedonism is much easier.

What's gotten you out of the slump?

There's actually interesting research that the highly intelligent are actually more likely to suffer from certain disorders, mainly generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and bipolar. The odds ration actually seems to be quite stark.

For the latter, full blown bipolar isn't necessarily the standard, the severity is a spectrum, like autism and anxiety, other things. It does seem that many highly successful and productive period have had regular bouts of mania and depression, or, in terms of other aspects, bursts of productivity and creativity followed by troughs of stagnation.

Things can honestly just hit you out nowhere. There really is a strong biological basis for many people, especially if certain things seem to have been consistent throughout your life, particularly after puberty (not having anything to do with women/sexual relations, seems to have to do with neurological development), with no apparent environmental cause.

Unfortunately there are a lot of reasons to feel down as a human being and no guarantee of lasting gains in happiness (hedonic treadmill). Although, this book is actually quite good and sound, supported by scientific evidence and reasoning: https://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Guide-Developing-Lifes-Important/dp/0316167258

Mainly getting your brain to shut the fuck up and stop dwelling on negative and metaphysical issues whose resolution won't bring about happiness anyway, just being in the moment, forging strong social relations, feeling like a part of something larger than yourself, like you're actually seriously contributing to something you're passionate about, that you care about and is important to you.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra I'm doing alright; I'd be an asshole to complain

Hedonic treadmill.

The things that most people assume will bring them happiness in life can actually contribute very little, if anything, in the long-term. None of us chose to be born and enslaved (not literally) by our biology, I think we have a right to complain, to air our grievances as to the human condition.

Having a decent job and material conditions really aren't that important. For example, the happiness of immigrants, from third world countries to the US, actually doesn't seem to increase much at all long-term.

If you think of it from an evolutionary standpoint, some aspects of human life, life in general, are just horrifying.

Of course, it really is best not to dwell on it and there are ways to attain something lasting, some sense of peace. The Buddha had a point when he focused on techniques to ease human suffering, rather than metaphysical issues that are ultimately non-conductive to this. I wouldn't say human beings are doomed to remain in this state.
    hydromorphone victim of incest [insincerely conduce my paisley]
    No. Currently, with the way shit has been for the past few years... Even the past 12 years, it's been a shitty downward slope. I'm only happy I have a healthy, happy, well adjusted son.

I guess I am happy that I at least have something to take the edge off the pain both physically and mentally. I'm glad that isn't as bad as it could be with me having nothing to manage with... So there's that.

While things have been really, really shitty for me for a long time, today something really wonderful happened. Something I had no expectation of happening, and didn't see coming at all, but it's a sign that things are going to get better for me and someone I love a whole lot, despite some recent... Bad and stressful shit, that actually brought things to where they are today. Today is the first day in a very long time I've at least felt positive and hopeful that things are going to turn around, not only for me but someone I care about a great deal who's struggled and suffered similarly for about just as long as I have. It was like answered prayer, and I genuinely was fucking HAPPY, like sincerely happy and really really feeling positive about shit and while I have a great deal of reasons, from past experience, to be apprehensive about everything that happened and has given me hope, and normally would be skeptical and hesitant to believe it... I haven't been negative about it and haven't let that negativity weasel it's way into my mind... At least not yet,and I owe a great deal of that to my friend whom also is doing better after such a rough time lately and in the last decade just like I have. Just being I'm not anxious that it won't turn out to disappoint me and just be another time of feeling like I am getting my hopes up for nothing... It feels real and like shit that should have always been there has came back to me and things are going to start clicking into place with shit improving a great deal in a short time. Like it's the first time shit feels like it's happening as it should and I feel a huge weight lifting off me.

Even if shit doesn't pan out... I had one single day today that was fucking wonderful. I don't even do anything special except spend the whole day having a good time talking to my friend and that really made all the difference in the world to me. My friend is also feeling a lot better than he was too and that also made me happy... We will see. I really hope shit keeps going like it has today and only improves for us both.

Post last edited by hydromorphone at 2017-05-22T03:54:46.527828+00:00
    ITT:

hydromorphone victim of incest [insincerely conduce my paisley]
    Originally posted by aldra I'm doing alright; I'd be an asshole to complain

Just because you're issues or lack of enjoyment of life aren't as bad as others doesn't mean it's not valid or something you should feel bad about speaking the truth on. I hate when people do the "well, dude, you're life could be worse! Look at the shit *insert name or" I am" here* going through or have dealt with! It's far worse than your petty shit!" now, not to say there aren't just spoiled, shitty, dumbfuck assholes in this world who always have to be the victim and crave pity from others, but shit, besides that... People have problems and we shouldn't be judging who's shit is the worst. We should be able to openly discuss each other's problems, and work together to help one another out the best we can to handle them... Sometimes it's as simple as being an ear to hear someone vent their frustrations.

So, what's up, aldra?
    Originally posted by Lanny What about you Discount Whore? Aside from the bleeding anus.

I am happy. I don't have to worry about money, or being homeless, or having a wife or kids that don't love me. Sometimes I get anxiety over keeping afloat but I've got a constant reminder that things are good. Mostly my unhappiness comes from work. I hate the people I work with, even though I find the work interesting. They all think I'm a straight edge stickler because I only talk about work, and I'm friendly enough to where they don't know I don't like any of them.

Hopefully when my wife finishes school I will be able to downgrade to a job I enjoy more. We need the income for now though. But I can deal with it. It's worth it.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    no, it's not like that...

I have a decent job, girlfriend, could easily get a job at a much higher-paying place but I'm afraid I don't have the motivation so I'm sticking with somewhere that doesn't seem to care when I turn up if I do at all.

I don't care much for general hedonism; I need some sense of purpose that doesn't exist and it feels meaningless to try and build toward anything... the way we live is not sustainable and it will end sooner rather than later.

I try to take some pride in being a decent person but the better I understand it, the more awful everything is - even the most 'honorable' institutions have base, feral behaviour and exploitation at their core... I'll drown in it eventually.
    I'm glad I'm not with Karen Black in this scene

if it were real world

infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by hydromorphone No. Currently, with the way shit has been for the past few years… Even the past 12 years, it's been a shitty downward slope. I'm only happy I have a healthy, happy, well adjusted son.

I guess I am happy that I at least have something to take the edge off the pain both physically and mentally. I'm glad that isn't as bad as it could be with me having nothing to manage with… So there's that.

While things have been really, really shitty for me for a long time, today something really wonderful happened. Something I had no expectation of happening, and didn't see coming at all, but it's a sign that things are going to get better for me and someone I love a whole lot, despite some recent… Bad and stressful shit, that actually brought things to where they are today. Today is the first day in a very long time I've at least felt positive and hopeful that things are going to turn around, not only for me but someone I care about a great deal who's struggled and suffered similarly for about just as long as I have. It was like answered prayer, and I genuinely was fucking HAPPY, like sincerely happy and really really feeling positive about shit and while I have a great deal of reasons, from past experience, to be apprehensive about everything that happened and has given me hope, and normally would be skeptical and hesitant to believe it… I haven't been negative about it and haven't let that negativity weasel it's way into my mind… At least not yet,and I owe a great deal of that to my friend whom also is doing better after such a rough time lately and in the last decade just like I have. Just being I'm not anxious that it won't turn out to disappoint me and just be another time of feeling like I am getting my hopes up for nothing… It feels real and like shit that should have always been there has came back to me and things are going to start clicking into place with shit improving a great deal in a short time. Like it's the first time shit feels like it's happening as it should and I feel a huge weight lifting off me.

Even if shit doesn't pan out… I had one single day today that was fucking wonderful. I don't even do anything special except spend the whole day having a good time talking to my friend and that really made all the difference in the world to me. My friend is also feeling a lot better than he was too and that also made me happy… We will see. I really hope shit keeps going like it has today and only improves for us both.

Post last edited by hydromorphone at 2017-05-22T03:54:46.527828+00:00

holy shit on a hotdog bun...you fucking never shut up. your character content in four or five posts is more than every other user of this site combined for the last six months.
    Yes and no. I have a lot of free time, and no desire to use it well. I waste it a lot. I'm very comfortable, but I am feeling depressed these days because I'm not feeling pressed to do anything. I literally have all the time I could ever want, I have no real obligations, and no financial stresses.

As far as relationships go, I actually like to keep my distance, and my girlfriend is very chill and has her own life, my boyfriend is very chill and has his own life, so it is a good arrangement for my nature, but it means that my time doesn't belong to anyone but me, which could either be good and bad at the same time. I sometimes think I have condemned myself to dissatisfaction, because I feel like I want someone who is more demanding of my time, but also think I would be super fucking annoyed with such a person.

I generally hate most people too, I wish I could enjoy their company more but 99% of the time, I have zero desire to hang out with anyone. This is again something where I just wish I had a different personality. A lot of times, I'll make a new friend and then just say no to doing shit with them, because I'd rather binge watch movies while getting high as shit and blowing fat vapes.

Idk, life is okay but it's boring. I take on a lot of hobby projects, like calligraphy and other art, playing instruments etc, but I don't stick with any of them for long either, I'm just too easily distracted and it's just too easy to consume passive entertainment, like film and music.
    infinityshock Black Hole
    Originally posted by Discount Whore What could be better? What are you happy isn't worse?

my life is miserable. my IQ is too high. i have too much money. im too successful at my job. the fame is intolerable. i have too many muscles. and all these hot bikini models wont stop impaling their various orifices on my oversized cock.

its a horrible existence.

oh. wait. nevermind.
Jump to Top