User Controls

how do I become a vegan

Esplender Tuskegee Airman [my gynecological profit-maximising katar]
    And simultaneously maintain my heterosexuality?
    Have sex with carrots.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I sense you may be upset with the way other people choose to live. Do you want to talk about your feelings buddy?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    You just do it and never bring it up again. Don't be stupid.
    Originally posted by Lanny I sense you may be upset with the way other people choose to live. Do you want to talk about your feelings buddy?

I feel that people always betray my reasonable expectations for them to elevate themselves to a level beyond that of common beasts and that makes me mad
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Esplender I feel that people always betray my reasonable expectations for them to elevate themselves to a level beyond that of common beasts and that makes me mad

If people are always betraying some expectation you have of them, was it really reasonable in the first place?
    Why the hell would anyone want to be a vegan. Like bitch, you ain't never had bacon?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Dargo Why the hell would anyone want to be a vegan. Like bitch, you ain't never had bacon?

Ethics, health, religion, not liking the taste of animal produces. Seems like there are a lot of options.
    Originally posted by Lanny Ethics, health, religion, not liking the taste of animal produces. Seems like there are a lot of options.

Only the last one is semi-legit, at which point I'd blame the parents for raising a picky little asshole.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Dargo Only the last one is semi-legit, at which point I'd blame the parents for raising a picky little asshole.

You sound sort of picky yourself. =D
    Originally posted by mmQ You sound sort of picky yourself. =D

No. People fail to realize only in places like America can you actually discriminate about what you eat to the extent of being a vegan. In Russia, people still starving to death. It was hard enough just finding food as a kid, so to turn down meat of all things? Stupid Americans bitch about their vegan diets, and are ignorant that the rest of the world would kill to have that sort of privilege.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Dargo No. People fail to realize only in places like America can you actually discriminate about what you eat to the extent of being a vegan.

Who exactly fails to realize this? Anyone in this thread? Anyone on this site?

In Russia, people still starving to death. It was hard enough just finding food as a kid, so to turn down meat of all things? Stupid Americans bitch about their vegan diets, and are ignorant that the rest of the world would kill to have that sort of privilege.

You know with modern agricultural strategies it's more efficient to feed humans plant products than animals right? It takes a lot more energy to produce N calories of meat than N calories of, say, grains.
    Originally posted by Lanny If people are always betraying some expectation you have of them, was it really reasonable in the first place?

Yes. Because for the most part these people seem to have stopped developing beyond the person they were in high school.
    Originally posted by Lanny You know with modern agricultural strategies it's more efficient to feed humans plant products than animals right? It takes a lot more energy to produce N calories of meat than N calories of, say, grains.

Most of the world does not have the agricultural abilities (technology, machinery, etc.) that America does.

You are right though. A lot of hunger problems would disappear if they stopped holding back GMO production and crops like golden rice were allowed take off. Definitely more efficient than raising cattle.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Esplender Yes. Because for the most part these people seem to have stopped developing beyond the person they were in high school.

I'm not clear on how this entails that it's reasonable to expect people adhere to a standard they empirically almost never do which, moreover, you realize they never do.

Originally posted by Dargo Most of the world does not have the agricultural abilities (technology, machinery, etc.) that America does.

True. Accordingly you'll notice people who are vegans on ethical grounds don't spend a lot of time criticizing the dietary habits of sustenance farmers in the the third world.
    Originally posted by Dargo Most of the world does not have the agricultural abilities (technology, machinery, etc.) that America does.

You are right though. A lot of hunger problems would disappear if they stopped holding back GMO production and crops like golden rice were allowed take off. Definitely more efficient than raising cattle.

The point of golden rice is to provide sufficient vitamin A in people's diets that the regular local rice wouldn't be able to provide. Not to end hunger. They already had plenty of rice to begin with. This is in places like the backwaters of India n' shit.
    Originally posted by Lanny vegans on ethical grounds

That's the funniest one. :Rofl_Roll_Yellow_3b:
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Dargo That's the funniest one. :Rofl_Roll_Yellow_3b:

good argument, thanks for your insightful rebuttal
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Originally posted by Dargo Only the last one is semi-legit, at which point I'd blame the parents for raising a picky little asshole.

No, ethics is absolutely legitimate. it may surprise some people due to how callous I may seem, but I absolutely cannot justify the consumption of meat other than selfish vampirism, the belief that we are likely experiencing the last cycle of death and birth on earth, the immense suffering of "reincarnation" (Both the sculptor and the marble. It likely didn't originally mean how most of humanity misinterpreted it.) Even if you martyr yourself I would still see that individual act, path in life, as righteous.

I'm not fully vegan, although there is an interesting argument to be made in favor of keeping meat consumption to a minimum, even if you see your inherent nature as vampiric, a drive to end the suffering in the world and the brutality of life and death.

Of course, even veganism leads to death. Human beings consume an unbelieveable amount of resources. Lanny, look at the electronics around you, think of what it takes to support your lifestyle if you truly believe in Marx. You're a vampire as well, fully fueled by the suffering of others, those trapped in samsara who continue to struggle in vain, unable to accept what reality is, because it's easier than the alternative. Look at the fields and tell me there isn't life in there that will be sacrificed, if only field mice. Back to the "interesting argument", it's essentially that, greenhouse gas arguments and the implications aside (terribly inaccurate and misleading, very superficial analysis), a cow raised for meat generally weighs XXXX pounds, but the critical factor is that it only consumes one life, especially if it is a humane one (I have personally seen them grazing in the hills of national parks in the east bay), far more than the lives of animals like chickens will provide. We're all capable of the same pain and suffering, and n that regard what human beings lead to, the population explosion literally multiplying the billions during relatively recent history, was one of the most horrendous events in the history of the earth. We're absolute monstrosities if you consider the chain of causality, what we lead to simply by attempting to maintain and better our lives. We are creatures who should not exist.

It's always easier to just lie to yourself, like I had to lie, and simply engage in avoidance. Just don't look, belittle the views of others, rely on stereotypes and superficial perceptions. What's the point of living if you never enjoy a meal again? I honestly hate food, if I could plug myself into an outlet and derive my need for energy via that I would never eat again. I do not deny that it is delicious, that veganism is not in our evolutionary nature and that it is far from an optimal diet for health, as some may argue, and it does indeed contain serious health risks if not adhered to in an advanced manner, but if you ask me if I would forsake any pleasure meat consumption produces, regardless of the time span, my answer would be: Yes, a thousand times over, each cycle filled with unbearable suffering, yes. I am not innately more valuable than anything else, I would prefer to never eat meat gained through purposeful death again.

Post last edited by Malice at 2017-04-25T07:13:21.428728+00:00
    Originally posted by Lanny good argument, thanks for your insightful rebuttal

Oh lighten up.

I see no ethical concerns with eating meat because I'm religious. God gave us the animals of the world and said we can eat them, so I'm happy to do just that. If you would prefer not to, and your lifestyle can accommodate that, fine. Personal preference.

And Mal, I'm not reading that fatalistic wall of text, sweetie.
Jump to Top