User Controls

High Refresh Rate Monitors

Lanny Bird of Courage
    I just picked one up recently, 144hz 27" asus whatever. Mixed feelings so far, I can like sorta notices the difference if I look closely but it's not night and day by a long shot. Definitely an upgrade, but I notice the improved color balance more than any extra perceptible additional frames, not sure it justifies the price hike.

What do yall think about it? Meme designed to sell more monitors or way of the future?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    logical progression I guess, it's not especially more expensive to manufacture... that's not to say that they won't be more expensive until it's standard, that's just the way with gayming gear.

I'm more interested in G-Sync/FreeSync - a friend's told me it actually makes a world of difference, but I've not had the chance to try it myself and I'm not really comfortable with spending $1200 on a monitor.
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    Does it consume more energy? Some of those can be power hogs.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Didn't even glance at the power usage. Electricity is cheap here. Some benchmarks I just googled suggest the difference GPU power usage significantly outstrips monitor draw at any refresh rate.
    What GPU are you running.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    A GTX 1070, I forget the manufacturer
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Lanny I just picked one up recently, 144hz 27" asus whatever. Mixed feelings so far, I can like sorta notices the difference if I look closely but it's not night and day by a long shot. Definitely an upgrade, but I notice the improved color balance more than any extra perceptible additional frames, not sure it justifies the price hike.

What do yall think about it? Meme designed to sell more monitors or way of the future?

its all wasted if your gfx card isnt capable of delivering 120+ fps.

its like coming into/onto an 8yo.
    Originally posted by Lanny A GTX 1070, I forget the manufacturer

You might see more of a difference with a 1080 or 1080 Ti. Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you're going from a 60Hz to 144Hz then it might be worth the upgrade (if you have a GPU to match it), but not if you're going from something like 120Hz to 144Hz.

Really though, any improvement is marginal at best whether it's refresh rate, response time, or whatever. That shit is mostly just marketing gimmicks. When I buy a monitor I mainly just look at the practical aspects like resolution, size, and reliability. And G-Sync compatibility.
    Also why is your avatar a fucking dog leash. I've been wondering for a while now.
    Definitely worth it if you play any competitive games IMO. I literally cannot play CS without mine now, everything feels bleh without it. Not all 144Hz monitors are created equal either, I have a BenQ and an Acer one, the Acer one is definitely worse (though still good). I've noticed certain 144Hz monitors have fairly noticeable ghosting and relative input lag too.

But tbh, it's not really a big deal if you are playing games on a controller or smth.
    Originally posted by Fox Paws Also why is your avatar a fucking dog leash. I've been wondering for a while now.

It's a lanyard.

Get it?
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon It's a lanyard.

Get it?

no.
    Originally posted by benny vader no.

That's because you're retarded.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    thats easy. why dont you try make me understand.
    Lanny is his name. People call him Lan-Lan, Lanster etc. Lanyard looks/sounds like Lanny and Lan-ny.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    a lanyard looks like lanny ????

and how is something that ends with rd sounds like something that ends with ny ????
    Again, as I said, you are simply retarded so no amount of explanation will make you see it. But it's not super clever and there's not a lot to "get".
    Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    I use a led tv with a hdmi connection, never noticed any stutter but I'm not too in to computer shit because I have no money
    Originally posted by Number13 I use a led tv with a hdmi connection, never noticed any stutter but I'm not too in to computer shit because I have no money

Enjoy ur input lag faget.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Again, as I said, you are simply retarded so no amount of explanation will make you see it. But it's not super clever and there's not a lot to "get".

your a bed teacher.
Jump to Top