User Controls

You know what we should do?

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Write a space interface. Like a CLI, but for NIS. Wouldn't that be fun? Why don't we ever collaborate on anything.
    Write space station AI software in niggacode
    Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump Write space station AI software in niggacode

I should first design niggacode then.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Originally posted by Sophie Write a space interface. Like a CLI, but for NIS. Wouldn't that be fun? Why don't we ever collaborate on anything.

i tried to get people to collab on a cartoon/comic strip type thing on zoklet but hardly anyone showed any interest except to criticize the idea. most people in this community are like your average criminal, and are completely unable to handle organization.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by NARCassist i tried to get people to collab on a cartoon/comic strip type thing on zoklet but hardly anyone showed any interest except to criticize the idea. most people in this community are like your average criminal, and are completely unable to handle organization.

Yes that's true i think. I mean i could write a space interface myself, but it would be more fun to do with a couple of other brogrammers. And i know i am one to talk, because out of 5000 lines of codes for teh space station i may have submitted only 100, but at least i trid to contribute. And if all the brogrammers submit 100 lines of code i think we could make something nice. Or fun at least.
    I still dontt know what language the station is coded in, how do I learn?. I was gonna write the spoiler code but it took whoever did it like an hour. Whats the link to that?.

I would like to learn programming it just feels like such a chore.
    Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump I still dontt know what language the station is coded in, how do I learn?. I was gonna write the spoiler code but it took whoever did it like an hour. Whats the link to that?.

I would like to learn programming it just feels like such a chore.

It fucking is a chore, but it's the only way you learn. The space station is coded in Python. Lanny used a framework(That's just a series of programs to make your program easier) called Django because it is suitable for creating a web application.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/intro/tutorial01/
    So everything is coded in pyhton? thats it? I didn't know you could code a forum in python.

How to make a chatbox in python or can I just look it up and steal some code?.
    Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump So everything is coded in pyhton? thats it? I didn't know you could code a forum in python.

You sure can. But you will need to adapt it to fit the style in which ISS is coded.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Sophie Write a space interface. Like a CLI, but for NIS. Wouldn't that be fun? Why don't we ever collaborate on anything.

I seriously started writing a telnet interface to ISS a couple of weekends ago as a throwback to totse. It should actually be pretty straight forward but there's just a lot of code that would need to be written. I kinda still want to do it though, have some fun ideas around reusing existing views.

Originally posted by SCronaldo_J_Trump So everything is coded in pyhton? thats it? I didn't know you could code a forum in python.

The vast majority of the code is python. Unfortunately the simplest modern web stack is still polyglot. At minimum you need a server side language like python and two declarative presentation languages, HTML and CSS. The latter two are relatively simple though. It's also very common to use javascript for client side scripting, which ISS does. Something like a chatbox would require it, although the realtime nature of a chatbox means a good implementation will require some kind of more sophisticated transport strategy, not another language but websockets and longpolling impose special infrastructural requirements.

All that said though, you can definitely contribute productively to ISS (the NiS software) with just python.

Post last edited by Lanny at 2017-04-04T04:15:59.339410+00:00
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Lanny I seriously started writing a telnet interface to ISS a couple of weekends ago as a throwback to totse. It should actually be pretty straight forward but there's just a lot of code that would need to be written. I kinda still want to do it though, have some fun ideas around reusing existing views.

The vast majority of the code is python. Unfortunately the simplest modern web stack is still polyglot. At minimum you need a server side language like python and two declarative presentation languages, HTML and CSS. The latter two are relatively simple though. It's also very common to use javascript for client side scripting, which ISS does. Something like a chatbox would require it, although the realtime nature of a chatbox means a good implementation will required some kind of more sophisticated transport strategy, not another language but websockets and longpolling impose special infrastructural requirements.

All that said though, you can definitely contribute productively to ISS (the NiS software) with just python.

I was just about to rise the same points.
    Originally posted by Lanny I seriously started writing a telnet interface to ISS a couple of weekends ago as a throwback to totse. It should actually be pretty straight forward but there's just a lot of code that would need to be written. I kinda still want to do it though, have some fun ideas around reusing existing views.

If you have some code for a space interface, put it on Github. Maybe we can collab.
    cerakote African Astronaut
    bls hav NIS chat on the side
    Originally posted by cerakote bls hav NIS chat on the side

Either no one would use it, or everyone would use it and no one would use the forums any more.
    Originally posted by Sophie Either no one would use it, or everyone would use it and no one would use the forums any more.

This. People can just go ahead and exchange info for alternate chatting methods if they really want to.
Jump to Top