User Controls

Is Time An Illusion?

I think time is an illusion, a construct if man. I believe all moments have always and always will exist. But in this finite form of flesh we are only capable of experiencing those moments one at a time, in a serial fashion, and we are only capable of experiencing a given moment once in a lifetime.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    why? if that were the case you wouldn't be able to know for sure by definition
    I'm so fucking high and it's 5 in the morning. I have to brush my teeth and clean my bong and go to bed or I miss all the sun tomorrow.

Fuck time. I go by the sun. I need to awake for at least 4 hours when it's daylight.
    Originally posted by aldra why? if that were the case you wouldn't be able to know for sure by definition

Explain...
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    if we're only able to perceive time as a linear string of moments, how could we ever discover that it's something else?
    Originally posted by aldra if we're only able to perceive time as a linear string of moments, how could we ever discover that it's something else?

By dying.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    *obligatory spam post here*
    No
    We are literally traveling through it dumbass. Perhaps you experience dilation or construction of time but that is a matter of perspective thAt doesn't nessicarily constitute and illusion.
    Originally posted by Rhymin Hymen We are literally traveling through it

No.
    Originally posted by Rhymin Hymen We are literally traveling through it dumbass. Perhaps you experience dilation or construction of time but that is a matter of perspective thAt doesn't nessicarily constitute and illusion.

you can't literally travel through time
    Originally posted by Hash Slinging Slasher you can't literally travel through time

He means that you're travelling through time as we speak, forward at the rate of 1 second per second. That's principally wrong but it's convenient and close.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon He means that you're travelling through time as we speak, forward at the rate of 1 second per second. That's principally wrong but it's convenient and close.

yes but he said literally traveling through time
    Y'all better speak for yourselves before I give your grandmas' tha d up the b again.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon He means that you're travelling through time as we speak, forward at the rate of 1 second per second. That's principally wrong but it's convenient and close.

Ever heard the story about the two atomic clocks and the KC 130?
    Originally posted by -SpectraL *obligatory spam post here*

I'm so much better at derailing threads than you ever will be. Nice try though. Perhaps you should pay me for lessons.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Originally posted by Darth Beaver I'm so much better at derailing threads than you ever will be. Nice try though. Perhaps you should pay me for lessons.

tl/dr
    Originally posted by -SpectraL tl/dr

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I think the fact that time can slow down as you get farther away from Earth would indicate it's reality.
    Originally posted by mmQ I think the fact that time can slow down as you get farther away from Earth would indicate it's reality.

Time is not relative to distance it is relative to motion. Look up the Hafele–Keating experiment.
Jump to Top