User Controls

Sophie's post of scientific inquiry: Saturns hexagonal vortex.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    For those of you who don't know Saturn is the 6th planet from the sun, it's a gas giant meaning that most of the planet is composed out of hydrogen and helium. Now a peculiar feature on Saturn is a huge ass vortex which in diameter is larger than the earth. What's special about this vortex however is that it is shaped hexagonally.

To understand this feature we must first know how a vortex is created. Just like on earth a vortex or hurricane is formed by the coriolis effect which is the tendency of objects to deflect relative to a rotating frame of reference. Well, that's the physics definition. What generally happens is that there is an interaction between low and high pressure gas(air) to form a classical cyclone structure as illustrated by the image below.

Red is high pressure gas while blue is low pressure gas. The difference in pressure is due to the fact that gas expands when it is warm and the reverse is true when it cools down. The warming in this case is done by the sun. This same process happens on Saturn.

Ahhh, but you might ask, why it is that the vortex is shaped like a hexagon? Well it has to do with fluid dynamics, but the short version is that gas of different temperatures and composition rotate at different speeds in a system like this and it is the difference in rotation speed at different altitudes that gives the feature its distinct shape.
    Snow is hexagonal, I'm just sayin'
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    My anus is an hexagonal vortex that shits shit.
    Just sayin'
    Ya'll faggots are too dimwitted to appreciate some awesome science when you see it. But seriously, i made this thread because Bill Krozby wanted to know about this and where is the fag? Nowhere to be found of course.
    I'll admit it's out of my sphere. But seriously most six sided shit in nature is crystalline so that's why I mentioned snowflakes. Hmm, it on one of Saturn poles. Maybe it's an enormous snowflake made of frozen helium.
    I'll admit it's out of my sphere. But seriously most six sided shit in nature is crystalline so that's why I mentioned snowflakes. Hmm, it on one of Saturn poles. Maybe it's an enormous snowflake made of frozen helium.

It's too warm on Saturn for helium to be a solid. In fact i do believe it has to be close to absolute zero for helium to be a solid, lol.
    Well fuck, back to the old drawing board.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Because stable atmosphere and jet streams and increased velocity as you travel outward from the pole and eddy currents. Overlapping jet streams essentially produce different hexagonal shapes, of which many have been recreated in a laboratory setting, Triangles, septagons, pentagons not withstanding. The reason this one is a hexagon is more-or-less based on the conditions of Saturn's atmosphere and the fact that there is no surface of the planet below in which to disrupt the pattern.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Actually in fluid dynamics experiments, these patterns have been recreated and it's not even wrong when you say the shape is due to the specific conditions on the planet. Whether it has a surface though is unkown since we can't see through all that gas.
    Actually in fluid dynamics experiments, these patterns have been recreated and it's not even wrong when you say the shape is due to the specific conditions on the planet. Whether it has a surface though is unkown since we can't see through all that gas.
    I get the same way after Cuban food.
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    saturn is actually flat , nasa are a bunch of illuminati jedibagger shills =) lol jk good thread. I actually have another one for you but I can't think of it now.
    saturn is actually flat , nasa are a bunch of illuminati jedibagger shills =) lol jk good thread. I actually have another one for you but I can't think of it now.

Lol ok, i'll do another thread if it's an interesting subject but i'm not planning on becoming your personal encyclopedia.
    Oh and thanks button is over there faggot

Jump to Top