User Controls

Have you been brainwashed?

Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Would you even know?

I've read that some people can be more susceptible to it. Some people are more likely to become cult members. Some people are more likely to fall for propaganda.

What makes you think you're not?
    According to academic definitions, no
    it should be pretty easy to tell based on information and warning signs
    ner vegas African Astronaut
    Elbow Tuskegee Airman
    I suspect I haven't been brainwashed because the things I actually "believe" (that we should be hyper-rationally skeptical to the point of seeming irrationality, that we should believe ~nothing) are completely useless to people in power. Like, look at how I phrased that: "~nothing". I'm so committed to disbelief that I'm forced to leave open the possibility that there are some things we should believe. This basically makes me useless to anyone who is hoping to achieve any sort of goal.
    Elbow Tuskegee Airman
    "We're going to brainwash them to be completely uncertain about everything, so they're basically impossible to reason with."
    - Illuminopoly

I mean, it's typical of conspiracy theories for the plan to be completely nonsensical like that, so assuming that conspiracy theories are generally true I suppose I might be being brainwashed to be less cooperative.
    'brainwashing' is a meme though

people will never have all of the information to objectively assess something and will always be affected by biases when interpreting data

we're shitty computers, and sometimes other shitty computers take advantage of that fact
    Cowboy2013 African Astronaut
    I don't take for granted that anyone is telling me the truth. That goes for CNN to random internet nutballs. And I'm not going to repeat it until I've looked at it myself and decided it fits a narrative I wish to push.
    Bradley Black Hole
    I shower my brain regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly regularly.
    Originally posted by Elbow I suspect I haven't been brainwashed because the things I actually "believe" (that we should be hyper-rationally skeptical to the point of seeming irrationality, that we should believe ~nothing) are completely useless to people in power. Like, look at how I phrased that: "~nothing". I'm so committed to disbelief that I'm forced to leave open the possibility that there are some things we should believe. This basically makes me useless to anyone who is hoping to achieve any sort of goal.

Unless their goal was to make you useless.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by ner vegas 'brainwashing' is a meme though

Do you believe cults are real? That some leader-type with certain skills could manipulate several follower-types into doing things they wouldn't have done otherwise? Is that brainwashing, or do you you call it by another name?

If cults are/were real, perhaps the techniques used are on a spectrum, and perhaps there are varying degrees of control and manipulation going on in the real world too.
    Originally posted by Cowboy2013 I don't take for granted that anyone is telling me the truth. That goes for CNN to random internet nutballs. And I'm not going to repeat it until I've looked at it myself and decided it fits a narrative I wish to push.

Were you always this way, or did you learn to be like this?
    Bradley Black Hole
    Originally posted by Obbe Were you always this way, or did you learn to be like this?

It's called critical thinking skills and it's supposed to be a standard of primary education as part of learning deductive reasoning and logical formations of ideas and belief systems.
    Bradley Black Hole
    Of course cults are really, you can see great examples of that in most religious communes. The best example being Jonestown in Guyana but the most prolific example is the Mormons. This guy I know joined a cult like a month ago and is struggling to get out of it because he wishes he was still here now that he got there but they're slowly breaking him down in the mean time. They're good at it.
    Instigator Space Nigga
    I think about this often with regards to brainwashing;

When I was a teenager growing up I had a paper round and guess what I would read the papers and this fucking paper round was only really supposed to take 20 minutes but I would be at it for a good hour an a half reading the papers so I guess by reading the papers I got conditioned to read against my will and this became a lifelong habit, infact I still see a therapist about how's newspapers brainwashed me into reading things.

It's a hard habit to quit, I was thinking about going to the press to get the word out.
    Dirtbag African Astronaut
    Its people like Aldra tbh. Something people in cults have in common is that they believe they're free-thinkers and smarter than everyone else. Aldra seems focused on conspiracy theories and not believing textbooks. He also tried to zap his brain painting googles etc.

Bradley is another example. He thinks he's being edgy but his behavior can be explained by sociology. He's also obsessed with conspiracies, his obsession with that 1984 book but that's a piece of the puzzle that fucked him over.
    I remember Aldra saying he was going to drill a hole in his skull for more air or something. That's retard behaviour.
    People with autism are also more at risk of being radicalised.
    Originally posted by Dirtbag not believing textbooks

lol, lmao

"it must be true it's in a state-sanctioned textbook"
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Bradley Black Hole
    Originally posted by Dirtbag Its people like Aldra tbh. Something people in cults have in common is that they believe they're free-thinkers and smarter than everyone else. Aldra seems focused on conspiracy theories and not believing textbooks. He also tried to zap his brain painting googles etc.

Bradley is another example. He thinks he's being edgy but his behavior can be explained by sociology. He's also obsessed with conspiracies, his obsession with that 1984 book but that's a piece of the puzzle that fucked him over.

ur the piece of my puzzle i'm missing
    Bradley Black Hole
    Originally posted by ner vegas lol, lmao

"it must be true it's in a state-sanctioned textbook"

"I trust what Alex Jones says" looking ass nigga
Jump to Top