User Controls

Centralia Underground Coal Fire still going (2024)

Donald Trump Black Hole
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

Holy fucking shit. People have this idea of America being this orderly first world country run by a woke pedophile who really cares about climate change, but they can't even arrange a hose pipe to put out a burning seam of coal.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Elbow African Astronaut
    I mean, it's 3700 acres of burning coal. In tunnels 300ft below the grounds. Which are being heated by the aforementioned 3700 acres of burning coal like a giant maze shaped furnace. It's not like it'd be impossible to extinguish, but it wouldn't exactly be economical to do so just to save a few sq kilometers of land in a single country roughly the size of Europe, and a town that's been ~abandoned for like 60 years.
    Elbow African Astronaut
    The US is the most powerful and developed country on Earth, but it's not fuckin... post-scarcity. It'd be a massive case of resource mismanagement to put out Centralia. The optimal number of forever-burning coal seam fires is not 0.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by Elbow I mean, it's 3700 acres of burning coal. In tunnels 300ft below the grounds. Which are being heated by the aforementioned 3700 acres of burning coal like a giant maze shaped furnace. It's not like it'd be impossible to extinguish, but it wouldn't exactly be economical to do so just to save a few sq kilometers of land in a single country roughly the size of Europe, and a town that's been ~abandoned for like 60 years.

I thought America cared about global warming? And marginalised communities.

Originally posted by Elbow The US is the most powerful and developed country on Earth, but it's not fuckin… post-scarcity. It'd be a massive case of resource mismanagement to put out Centralia. The optimal number of forever-burning coal seam fires is not 0.

Good point, it isn't post scarcity at all. Coal has value. So isn't that even more reason to put it out? How long does the US expect to be in business, and how does it expect to fuel itself in 500 years time?

I never hear this addressed. In some films like Syriana they'll talk about how in 200 years time the Saudis will be back riding camels around the desert, cos their oil ran out, but what happens to the US?

Shale oil, which has made the US the world's #1 oil producer once again, is peaking, and is entering permanent decline as we speak.

There are no new technological advancements looming to let people extract fossil fuels from inert clay.
    Buff Billy African Astronaut
    that does it

i'm gonna dedicate my life to putting this out. All I need is a tent and some buckets, fucking lazy asses.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Elbow African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Donald Trump I thought America cared about global warming? And marginalised communities.

Good point, it isn't post scarcity at all. Coal has value. So isn't that even more reason to put it out? How long does the US expect to be in business, and how does it expect to fuel itself in 500 years time?

I never hear this addressed. In some films like Syriana they'll talk about how in 200 years time the Saudis will be back riding camels around the desert, cos their oil ran out, but what happens to the US?

Shale oil, which has made the US the world's #1 oil producer, is peaking, and is entering permanent decline as we speak.

There are no new technological advancements looming to let people extract fossil fuels from inert clay.

AmeriKKKa cares about no such thing.

And coal is being phased out over time! But, for the sake of argument, the US could burn through all its coal, and they'd be fine with shale. And they could burn through all of that and be fine with nuclear for many thousands of years more. And if, inconceivably, the US burned through every energy-related natural resource within its current borders (and for some reason couldn't just take everyone else's... which, incidentally, they could), they're at the forefront of space exploration. If any one country on Earth will, in the next 500 years, be harvesting other celestial bodies for resources, it will be the USA. That is how incomparably developed they are relative to the rest of the world.

It's just not worth it for some coal. They'd use more resources putting it out than the endeavor is worth.

Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by Elbow And coal is being phased out over time! But, for the sake of argument, the US could burn through all its coal, and they'd be fine with shale. And they could burn through all of that and be fine with nuclear for many thousands of years more. And if, inconceivably, the US burned through every energy-related natural resource within its current borders (and for some reason couldn't just take everyone else's… which, incidentally, they could), they're at the forefront of space exploration. If any one country on Earth will, in the next 500 years, be harvesting other celestial bodies for resources, it will be the USA. That is how incomparably developed they are relative to the rest of the world.

The problem with this is that absolutely none of it is true.

Even the sci-fi tier speculation isn't feasible (eg. uranium is worth $50 per lb. Mining it on asteroids isn't even near profitable until it's a thousand times that price. Which would make the raw uranium cost of nuclear $1.50 per kwh, vs $0.0015 today)
    Elbow African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Donald Trump The problem with this is that absolutely none of it is true.

Eve the speculation isn't feasible (eg. uranium is worth $50 per lb. Mining it on asteroids isn't even near profitable until it's a thousand times that price. Which would make the raw uranium cost of nuclear $1.50 per kwh, vs $0.0015 today)

We are talking about the most developed nation in the world, at the forefront of technology, many, many years into the future. And we are talking about that nation in the context of a (frankly absurd) scenario where they have used every other natural resource at their disposal within their current borders and are magically forbidden from taking them from elsewhere/other nations (ie that nation isn't allowed to leverage one of its biggest assets for securing further resources for themselves: its first-rate military). All to make the point that the coal in Centralia is of miniscule value relative to what the US already has access to, and hypothetically will have access to in even the most wacky hypothetical imaginable. 😤

USA is Number #1. Sadly, I understand that Europoors - living as they are in the tiny shithole countries long abandoned by the ancestors of the mighty Americans - can't even begin to comprehend the wealth of natural resources uniquely available to the Greatest Nation on Earth. It's pointless trying to convince you. You can't imagine living in a country where something like potato blight effecting ~35,000 square miles of the nation's farmland isn't apocalyptic.
    Elbow African Astronaut
    (35,000 square miles being larger than the entirety of Ireland - not just its farmland - but constituting less than 1/10th of the US's agricultural land. The European mind truly and simply does not comprehend the sheer bounty available to America and her people. 😤😤😤)
    Originally posted by Donald Trump Coal has value. So isn't that even more reason to put it out?

It costs less to do nothing. These kind of infinite fires aren't that rare. It just makes no sense to spend a bunch of money even if you are saving the PLANET it would be at the cost of several million to capture 0.000000001% of carbon which is just insane, you could just buy a bunch of windmills and probably save more carbon technically letting that shit blow into the air
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Apparently there was 25 million tons of coal under Centralia before coal extraction started. Even if only a small proportion of that remains and is currently being burned, 1 ton of coal yields about 2.5 tons of CO2. So if only 1/25th of the coal is left, that's 1 million tons of coal, which would yield 2.5 million tons of CO2, which is $175 million worth at current carbon credit prices.

Not even worth extinguishing?
    The value of the coal if sold on the market has nothing to do with the way they factor if it's worth it or not. The calculation is essentially "if we cap it, it saves X gallons of CO2" if it costs even a million dollars which isn't that much, that still makes the cost per gallon of CO2 saved based on the total lifetime expected emissions probably like $1000/per gallon, an eye watering number that makes everyone scoff and go "yeah, no. That's retarded"

Because I think the logic is that compared to any other carbon capture methods which costs pennies per gallon this only saves a fraction and costs 100000x more

Government economy logic. LOGICALLY it makes sense to just fucking put the thing out JUST PUT SOME GOD DAMN WATER ON IT YOUFUCKING RETARDS but if the government did anything following logic we would all be driving flying cars and have space colonies
    Charles Ex Machina African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Donald Trump I never hear this addressed. In some films like Syriana they'll talk about how in 200 years time the Saudis will be back riding camels around the desert, cos their oil ran out, but what happens to the US?

Shale oil, which has made the US the world's #1 oil producer once again, is peaking, and is entering permanent decline as we speak.

it will never get addressed because all thesmart people, i mean the really smart people who think smartly and not just those who regurgitate smart talks, KNOW AS A MATTER OF FACTLY THAT OIL, FOSSIL FUEL OF EVERYKIND KNOWN AND UNKNOWN TO MEN,

ARE RENEWABLE RESOURCES.

YES, THATS RIGHT, I REITERSTE THIS AGAIN.

FOSSIL FUEL ARE RENEWABLE RESOURCES.

IT WILL ALWAYS BE RENEWABLE BECAUSE BIOMASS NEVER CEASED TO BE PRODUCED ON EARTH, AND THESE BIOMASSES FOSSILIZE INTO COMBISTABLE HYDRO AND CARBON.

SRSLY, JUST LOOK AT THE OIL PRODUCTION CHART, THE WORLD PRODUCES MORE OIL TODAY THAN IT WAS PROJECTED TO BE POSSIBLE DURING PEAK OIL PREDICKTED IN DECADES PAST,
    my country has a bunch of oil and gas and we still try to make biofuel and syngas gotta push those prices lower, eh?

Originally posted by Apemode The black bins are 75% land filled and 25% used for production of syngas at this high tech multimillion $ facility that uses thermal catalyst assisted decomposition into "green" fuel.

Originally posted by Ghost You can run a truck off wood so I'm not worried. also my country is a major exporter so we will be laughing to the bank until America invades us
    Upon checking my notes and internet history I think this was the main process used for most of history to make syngas, there are many ways to skin this cat. It's not as popular compared to how it used to be. Green based syngas is cool though and could replace a lot of centralized reliance on fossil fuels

this is what you get for saying no to our oil

You WILL slurp the Canadian fuel and you WILL ask for seconds
    jerryb African Astronaut
    DT doesn't really understand America. America is about getting paid and fuck everyone else after your dead. We fought the Brits because fuck them niggas getting our money. Fuck them injuns wasting land where we can grow shit and get paid. The gold rush is a perfect example, fuck the farm I'm going to Californy and getting rich bitch.

We learned it from our cousins in the UK, ever notice the US and UK always bombing and invading shit together. Yeah we going to take their shit and get paid bitches.
    Originally posted by jerryb DT doesn't really understand America. America is about getting paid and fuck everyone else after your dead. We fought the Brits because fuck them niggas getting our money. Fuck them injuns wasting land where we can grow shit and get paid. The gold rush is a perfect example, fuck the farm I'm going to Californy and getting rich bitch.

We learned it from our cousins in the UK, ever notice the US and UK always bombing and invading shit together. Yeah we going to take their shit and get paid bitches.

except now people whom had their shits stolen by the anal-sex'ens are coming thru the "border" and taking whats owed to them back.
    Originally posted by Donald Trump I thought America cared about global warming?

Lol, sucker.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina except now people whom had their shits stolen by the anal-sex'ens are coming thru the "border" and taking whats owed to them back.

That can change quickly. A couple miles from my house is a sign about the official Trail of Tears. Ain't no injuns in these parts, imagine how fast a new one would be with modern transportation. All those beaners crying on their way to the border in their F150. lol
    Originally posted by jerryb That can change quickly. A couple miles from my house is a sign about the official Trail of Tears. Ain't no injuns in these parts, imagine how fast a new one would be with modern transportation. All those beaners crying on their way to the border in their F150. lol

but this time fat white women will stand in you're way.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Charles Ex Machina but this time fat white women will stand in you're way.

Fat people are easy to push down or they could chose to go with their beaner boyfriends.
Jump to Top