User Controls

Climate Scientist Michael Mann Wins $1 Million Defamation Case Against Right-Wing Climate Deniers

Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Climate Scientist Michael Mann Wins $1 Million Defamation Case Against Right-Wing Climate Deniers

And this is something that we’ve encountered for decades, efforts by the fossil fuel industry and their hired guns to attack and attempt to discredit scientists, to prevent meaningful action on climate. And so, this is a line in the sand.

That is not protected speech. You can’t engage in false and defamatory attacks on scientists. And so, I like to think that this will create some space now, that scientists will feel more comfortable in leaving the laboratory and speaking to the public and policymakers about their science and about the implications of their science, knowing that there are some basic protections.
    Charles Ex Machina African Astronaut
    ... having just climbed out of the pan of spanish inquisition, humanity has now found itself in the fire of a scientific inquisition.
    ner vegas African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Obbe Climate Scientist Michael Mann Wins $1 Million Defamation Case Against Right-Wing Climate Deniers

Today we see bad-faith attacks on public health scientists like Anthony Fauci, my good friend Peter Hotez.

the guy who was the face of the COVID response, who faced a senate inquiry for one of his companies running a gain of function (sorry: I mean absolutely not gain of function, because they were using external stimuli to direct the virus' evolution rather than directly CRISPR editing in the traits they wanted) program with bat coronaviruses out of the facility in Wuhan where the virus most likely leaked from? that kind of 'bad faith' argument?

https://apnews.com/article/climate-change-defamation-michael-mann-penn-state-61289ee2d8d2143768d28995c83899ef

“Mann could be said to be the Jerry Sandusky of climate science, except for instead of molesting children, he has molested and tortured data,” Simberg wrote. Another writer, Mark Steyn, later referenced Simberg’s article in his own piece in National Review, calling Mann’s research “fraudulent.”

The jury in Superior Court of the District of Columbia found that Simberg and Steyn made false statements, awarding Mann $1 in compensatory damages from each writer. It awarded punitive damages of $1,000 from Simberg and $1 million from Steyn

LOL what even happened here
    Charles Ex Machina African Astronaut
    involuntary gain of function.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Obbe

this will go into my 75x75 rotation
Jump to Top