User Controls

question about turning my hair dryer into a musical instrument

EduCaTional CATastropHE African Astronaut
    a while back i was getting a lot of split ends and dry hair and i needed a solution fast. so i bought this $6.97 hairdryer from a thrift store and i use it sometimes to dry shit or to warm my sweatshirt up if im cold lol. and on my split ends or whatever. anyway, i found this light someone threw away and took it into my lair and disassembled it for parts and on the cord there is a dimmer dial (idk if thats what the technical term is but thats more or less what it is) so i kept it because maybe i could use it for christmas lights or something idk.

just a few minutes ago i was drying a pair of jeans i washed with the hairdryer and it put the dryer gun in one of the legs of the pants by the ankle and set it on the table that way and the dryer vibrates against the table at a frequency that actually makes a musical note.

It occurred to me that maybe i could cut the dryer cable, put the dial from the light in the middle, then connect the power cables again and then i could use the dial to make different frequency sounds with the hairdryer. i think it should be ok but im not really 100% sure that there isnt some risk of causing some sort of mishap or frying my hairdryer (money is tight right now and i dont necessarily have the means to just be dropping $6.97 all the time just to stay warm and dry). the dimmer dial thing i assume probably works but just adding resistance to the current coming in already so i would think if anything would break it would be that.
Jump to Top