User Controls

The pains of car ownership

runit Yung Blood
    Never buy anything made by kia ever. Not under any circumstances. Spent 2k on a minivan shitbox from 2003. Bought it knowing it would need repair. Sunk $1500 in P&L getting it fixed. Car ran great for 5 months. Now, brake pads are already down to metal to metal, alternator shitting the bed despite being allegedly replaced by previous owner within the year (allegedly), need new battery. 5 months later.

Would've just bought another car but sourcing one in the current market on such short notice would've been impossible. I need my car to go to work and have no safety net for these things. Depleted my savings account for this shit. If it shits the bed again I'm moving back home and working 10 hours a week using public transit and giving up.
    I got a hyundai for $3k and its been running 4 years wih almost no maintenance. At one point i got into a depression hole and didnt put oil in it and drove it like 6k miles before i checked and realized not a drop was left in the thing. My model got recalled for catching on fire, so hyundai replaced the entire engine fresh and put a warranty on it. Bought it with 4 fresh tires. Aside from the gloss coat starting to flake off in places, prolly the best 3k ive spent, considering i was spending $400 a month to uber. And kias and hyundais have the same drivestrains i think
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by runit Never buy anything made by kia ever. Not under any circumstances. Spent 2k on a minivan shitbox from 2003. Bought it knowing it would need repair. Sunk $1500 in P&L getting it fixed. Car ran great for 5 months. Now, brake pads are already down to metal to metal, alternator shitting the bed despite being allegedly replaced by previous owner within the year (allegedly), need new battery. 5 months later.

Would've just bought another car but sourcing one in the current market on such short notice would've been impossible. I need my car to go to work and have no safety net for these things. Depleted my savings account for this shit. If it shits the bed again I'm moving back home and working 10 hours a week using public transit and giving up.

You need to replace the pads. That's something you need to do from time to time. Some people do it themselves.

What's up with the alternator? Could be the alternator and battery problem is related? Batteries are another one of those consumable items, you'll need to replace that every 5 years or so, especially if you live in a cold climate.

Yeah cars are expensive, but they're pretty much a necessity for modern living.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    brake pads and alternators are easy to fix.

i can change brake pads with just a hammer and an/a few appropiately sized wrench.

you need more tools for alternator chances are it just ran out of carbon brushes. if theres no metal-y-metal grinding sound and theres no charging, then a simple brush replacement would suffice.

replacing the carbon brushes involves some soldering if your unlucky, just 2 screws if you are.

THESE ZILLENIUMS DON'T WANT TO WORK!! SIT STRAIGHT, SIT STRAIGHT

But yeah opeay, pretty much. Maintaining a car or any other machine can be expensive especially if you pay professionals to do it for you. The alternator is probably less than a hundred bucks at the store, the battery probably around 100 dollars or so as well. Maybe 50 bucks for a socket set and a couple wrenches

Lift you're head up, SIT STRAIGHT SIT STRAIGHT PULL THOSE SHOULDERS BACK. NOW SMILE AND SIT STRAIGHT
Jump to Top