User Controls

Poll: am i just retarded

installing ISS on debian 12 has been a painful experience

runit Yung Blood
    Python modules failing to build, and so on. What debian version/os is recommended? Trying to just run dockerized tbh.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Probably not retarded. Honestly it’s been a minute since I ran the dockerized build, I’ll dust it off tomorrow and see if it still works. NiS uses nixos but I was running on old ass Debian for years and years and there’s no fundamental reason it can’t run on newer Debian (or anything else with really).

Bullseye or bookworm should both be fine, you just need a Python in the 3.x line even if it’s little old. If a Python package is falling to build… lxml is usually the culprit, think you need libxml or something for it. If you can provide a stack trace or error message I can be more specific.

What’s your use case for running it? Trying to deploy an instance or just poking around? Happy to help get ya up and running, and appreciate any insights into pain points you might run into. Don’t have a great sense for that after a decade of Stockholming myself
    runit Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Lanny What's your use case for running it?
    Me and a partner want to start up a new instance, yes.

Have python in the 3x line. Running debian 12. lxml is failing to build, as well as uwsgi (the main one)

Some stacktrace for you:

Running setup.py clean for uWSGI
    Successfully built Pillow tripphrase bbcode mysql-connector
    Failed to build psycopg2 lxml uWSGI
    ERROR: Could not build wheels for psycopg2, lxml, uWSGI, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects

after messing around with deps we've encountered this now as well (running from docker)

db_1 |
    db_1 | PostgreSQL Database directory appears to contain a database; Skipping initialization
    db_1 |
    db_1 | 2023-11-16 05:18:05.236 UTC [1] LOG: starting PostgreSQL 16.1 (Debian 16.1-1.pgdg120+1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0, 64-bit
    db_1 | 2023-11-16 05:18:05.237 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv4 address "0.0.0.0", port 5432
    db_1 | 2023-11-16 05:18:05.237 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv6 address "::", port 5432
    db_1 | 2023-11-16 05:18:05.240 UTC [1] LOG: listening on Unix socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
    db_1 | 2023-11-16 05:18:05.255 UTC [29] LOG: database system was shut down at 2023-11-16 05:17:02 UTC
    db_1 | 2023-11-16 05:18:05.266 UTC [1] LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
    web_1 | /code/mig-and-run.sh: 3: ./manage.py: not found
    web_1 | /code/mig-and-run.sh: 4: ./manage.py: not found
    static_1 | npm ERR! code ENOENT
    static_1 | npm ERR! syscall open
    static_1 | npm ERR! path /package.json
    static_1 | npm ERR! errno -2
    static_1 | npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/package.json'
    static_1 | npm ERR! enoent This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
    static_1 | npm ERR! enoent
    static_1 |
    static_1 | npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
    static_1 | npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2023-11-16T05_18_05_640Z-debug.log
    iss_static_1 exited with code 254
    iss_web_1 exited with code 127

Let me know if you need output from specific commands as well. Thank you for helping. It's much appreciated. We want to start up an old-school forum dedicated to shitposting in the *chan style. Hopefully our instance will help to find bugs and so on.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Yeah you need to update some of those python deps to a version still found in the linux repos.
    AngryIVer African Astronaut [my jade controlled morrigan]
    Wow, you mean horse shit hand written code doesn't play nice? Who could have guessed!
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Is running debian in docker containers a new thing? I thought it was all alpine or something there.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by runit Me and a partner want to start up a new instance, yes.

That's awesome! So the docker build has been a little neglected up to now since I don't deploy NiS dockerized, or run it that way for local development (not that there's a reason not to, I just haven't historically).

I dusted off the files got docker going using the new dep format (finally kicked the crufty old requirements.txt) so `docker compose up` (possibly with the extra --build flag) should get you up and going now if you pull down the latest code.

Still a couple things to patch up around loading banners in and switching to uwsgi in docker for performance reasons, but I think this setup should be usable. Will get to that this weekend. But for now, yeah, I think you can pretty much just:

docker-compose up --build
    docker exec -ti iss-web-1 /bin/bash
    ./src/manage.py createsuperuser

Oh, and the admin interface you'll use to set up things like the forums and the all-important enhancement words is at `/admin`

to get the admin account bootstrapped, and setting up forums can proceed from there

Originally posted by AngryIVer Wow, you mean horse shit hand written code doesn't play nice? Who could have guessed!

works better than your forum lol

Originally posted by Donald Trump Is running debian in docker containers a new thing? I thought it was all alpine or something there.

It's pretty common, a lot of images are built from a debian base, they just don't usually get named "foo:42-alpine" like the alpine versions do so you don't notice. But e.g. `node:*` and `python:*` without the -alpine suffix are all implicitly debian.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by AngryIVer Wow, you mean horse shit hand written code doesn't play nice? Who could have guessed!

did you really take a break from beating on your family to come here and whine about code you don't understand
    Mr. Dom Yung Blood
    Not retarded, difficult to spin up, even locally.
    Had more success with the legacy instructions.
    Did have some success deploying it with heroku.

Originally posted by aldra did you really take a break from beating on your family to come here and whine about code you don't understand

its hand coded fuys
    runit Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Lanny That's awesome! So the docker build has been a little neglected up to now since I don't deploy NiS dockerized, or run it that way for local development (not that there's a reason not to, I just haven't historically).

I dusted off the files got docker going using the new dep format (finally kicked the crufty old requirements.txt) so `docker compose up` (possibly with the extra –build flag) should get you up and going now if you pull down the latest code.

Still a couple things to patch up around loading banners in and switching to uwsgi in docker for performance reasons, but I think this setup should be usable. Will get to that this weekend. But for now, yeah, I think you can pretty much just:

docker-compose up --build
    docker exec -ti iss-web-1 /bin/bash
    ./src/manage.py createsuperuser

Oh, and the admin interface you'll use to set up things like the forums and the all-important enhancement words is at `/admin`

to get the admin account bootstrapped, and setting up forums can proceed from there

works better than your forum lol

It's pretty common, a lot of images are built from a debian base, they just don't usually get named "foo:42-alpine" like the alpine versions do so you don't notice. But e.g. `node:*` and `python:*` without the -alpine suffix are all implicitly debian.
    Thank you a bunch. We'll test this out soon!
    runit Yung Blood
    New error

web_1 | Traceback (most recent call last):
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 354, in run_from_argv
    web_1 | self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 398, in execute
    web_1 | output = self.handle(*args, **options)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 86, in wrapped
    web_1 | saved_locale = translation.get_language()
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/translation/__init__.py", line 254, in get_language
    web_1 | return _trans.get_language()
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/translation/__init__.py", line 57, in __getattr__
    web_1 | if settings.USE_I18N:
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 82, in __getattr__
    web_1 | self._setup(name)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 69, in _setup
    web_1 | self._wrapped = Settings(settings_module)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 170, in __init__
    web_1 | mod = importlib.import_module(self.SETTINGS_MODULE)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    web_1 | return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
    web_1 | File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1050, in _gcd_import
    web_1 | File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1027, in _find_and_load
    web_1 | File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1004, in _find_and_load_unlocked
    web_1 | ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'settings'
    web_1 |
    web_1 | During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
    web_1 |
    web_1 | File "/opt/ISS/src/manage.py", line 22, in <module>
    web_1 | main()
    web_1 | File "/opt/ISS/src/manage.py", line 19, in main
    web_1 | execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 419, in execute_from_command_line
    web_1 | utility.execute()
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 413, in execute
    web_1 | self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 367, in run_from_argv
    web_1 | connections.close_all()
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 208, in close_all
    web_1 | for alias in self:
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/connection.py", line 73, in __iter__
    web_1 | return iter(self.settings)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py", line 48, in __get__
    web_1 | res = instance.__dict__[self.name] = self.func(instance)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/connection.py", line 45, in settings
    web_1 | self._settings = self.configure_settings(self._settings)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 144, in configure_settings
    web_1 | databases = super().configure_settings(databases)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/connection.py", line 50, in configure_settings
    web_1 | settings = getattr(django_settings, self.settings_name)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 82, in __getattr__
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 69, in _setup
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 170, in __init__
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    web_1 | File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1004, in _find_and_load_unlocked
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 354, in run_from_argv
    web_1 | self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/commands/runserver.py", line 61, in execute
    web_1 | super().execute(*args, **options)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 398, in execute
    web_1 | output = self.handle(*args, **options)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/commands/runserver.py", line 68, in handle
    web_1 | if not settings.DEBUG and not settings.ALLOWED_HOSTS:
    web_1 |
    web_1 | During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
    web_1 |
    web_1 | File "/opt/ISS/src/manage.py", line 22, in <module>
    web_1 | main()
    web_1 | File "/opt/ISS/src/manage.py", line 19, in main
    web_1 | execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 419, in execute_from_command_line
    web_1 | utility.execute()
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 413, in execute
    web_1 | self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 367, in run_from_argv
    web_1 | connections.close_all()
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 208, in close_all
    web_1 | for alias in self:
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/connection.py", line 73, in __iter__
    web_1 | return iter(self.settings)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py", line 48, in __get__
    web_1 | res = instance.__dict__[self.name] = self.func(instance)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/connection.py", line 45, in settings
    web_1 | self._settings = self.configure_settings(self._settings)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 144, in configure_settings
    web_1 | databases = super().configure_settings(databases)
    web_1 | File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/django/utils/connection.py", line 50, in configure_settings
    web_1 | settings = getattr(django_settings, self.settings_name)

Debian 12 is the host here.
    you dont really experience pain until i tuck you're ankles behind you're head and my head under your prostate
    runit Yung Blood
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny you dont really experience pain until i tuck you're ankles behind you're head and my head under your prostate

don't threaten me with a good time
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.2/topics/settings/

might need to configure django

I'll set up a vm in a little bit and give it a try, docker is gay
    Meikai Heck This Schlong

... the alternative to "hand written" is AI written, and I trust that far less.
    Originally posted by runit don't threaten me with a good time

for whom
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.2/topics/settings/

Originally posted by aldra https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.2/topics/settings/

Yeah, a settings file needs to be provided. I just pushed up some changes, if you pull there's a template config file at docker-config/settings.py (actually meant to check that in previously but forgot). That'll get automatically loaded into the dockerized env so you should be able to edit it, restart docker, and have you changes reflected.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    see https://github.com/Lanny/ISS/blob/master/docs/DEVNOTES.md for some notes on that ISS-specific config there is.
    cryptographiccontrarian African Astronaut
    and yet still im stuck with this username lanny u pretentious cunt

jk fam ur alright
    cryptographiccontrarian African Astronaut
    can i be admin
Jump to Top