User Controls

Poll: Scam? Please expound….

Bad idea, or legit?

Haxxor Space Nigga

Stop Watt is advertised as a revolutionary device that can significantly reduce your home's electricity usage simply by plugging it into a wall outlet. The makers claim it “stabilizes electrical current” and corrects energy waste, slashing utility bills by 40% or more.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Rape Monster Naturally Camouflaged
    How much is it
    Haxxor Space Nigga
    Like $20 for 2 I think.
    Yeah that’s not how electricity works. There’s absolutely no way something like this will reduce your bill by 40%, and I’m willing to bet it has nothing to do with Elon Musk.

I mean I don’t even know HOW something like this would work. Your bill comes from the load drawn by your appliances. Like if it’s a 1200 watt microwave, it’s going to draw 1200 watts while in use lol. Something plugged in the wall somewhere else wouldn’t change that. I guess it might be referring to loss by waste heat or something but again I don’t see how this thing could possibly reduce that even by 1% let alone 40.

It’s a scam
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Fox Yeah that’s not how electricity works. There’s absolutely no way something like this will reduce your bill by 40%, and I’m willing to bet it has nothing to do with Elon Musk.

I mean I don’t even know HOW something like this would work. Your bill comes from the load drawn by your appliances. Like if it’s a 1200 watt microwave, it’s going to draw 1200 watts while in use lol. Something plugged in the wall somewhere else wouldn’t change that. I guess it might be referring to loss by waste heat or something but again I don’t see how this thing could possibly reduce that even by 1% let alone 40.

It’s a scam

it doesnt reduce the load in your circuit but rather intefere with how your watt meter "counts" the wattage used.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny it doesnt reduce the load in your circuit but rather intefere with how your watt meter "counts" the wattage used.

First of all if it could actually do that, that would be meter tampering and considered a crime in most jurisdictions, and again something like this that plugs into an outlet couldn’t possibly affect the meter anyways.

You could stick a strong rare-earth magnet on the meter to reduce how fast it clocks usage, but that was for the old style analog meters not sure if that would work on these modern “smart” meters.
    Originally posted by Fox First of all if it could actually do that, that would be meter tampering and considered a crime in most jurisdictions, and again something like this that plugs into an outlet couldn’t possibly affect the meter anyways.

You could stick a strong rare-earth magnet on the meter to reduce how fast it clocks usage, but that was for the old style analog meters not sure if that would work on these modern “smart” meters.

its not meter tampering if the device is manipulating the meter without making any physical contact.

anyway unless you know exactly how watthour meters and the device work you can not be absolutley sure the device isnt capable of manipulating the watthour meter.
    Rape Monster Naturally Camouflaged
    If you stick a fork in your electric socket you never have to pay the bill again
    Originally posted by Rape Monster If you stick a fork in your electric socket you never have to pay the bill again

not weak and feminine "american" 110v sockets.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny its not meter tampering if the device is manipulating the meter without making any physical contact.

anyway unless you know exactly how watthour meters and the device work you can not be absolutley sure the device isnt capable of manipulating the watthour meter.

If it changes how your meter clocks usage, like if you actually used a thousand kWh but you somehow made your meter only clock 600 watt hours on your bill by using some device, that would still be considered meter tampering theft, just harder to prove since it’s a device inside your house.

But there is no mechanism I can think of that would be able to accomplish this. The meter spins in proportion to the load draw, it’s a simple electromechanical process that follows the laws of nature so not sure how a magic box you just plug in the wall can affect it. To tamper with how much load the meter sees, you’d have to tamper with the meter itself, or else bypass the meter with jumpers or something.
    Originally posted by Fox If it changes how your meter clocks usage, like if you actually used a thousand kWh but you somehow made your meter only clock 600 watt hours on your bill by using some device, that would still be considered meter tampering theft, just harder to prove since it’s a device inside your house.

But there is no mechanism I can think of that would be able to accomplish this. The meter spins in proportion to the load draw, it’s a simple electromechanical process that follows the laws of nature so not sure how a magic box you just plug in the wall can affect it. To tamper with how much load the meter sees, you’d have to tamper with the meter itself, or else bypass the meter with jumpers or something.

t

care to explain why an inverter motor consumes less energy than a non-inverter motor of the same power ?
    Kawkasian African Astronaut
    scam
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny t

care to explain why an inverter motor consumes less energy than a non-inverter motor of the same power ?

What the fuck are you talking about? Nobody is talking about inverters, the question is how is a device you plug in the wall going to change how much usage your meter sees? Just admit you don’t know what you’re talking about and move on.
    totse2118 Space Nigga [my ci light-haired pongee]
    If Elon apporves it must be quality
    Kawkasian African Astronaut
    This is an easy test.

Electric kettles or suchlike make that electric meter spin at an alarming rate.

Boil the kettle of room temp water and count how many times that things spins around till it's boiled...now plug the scam device in the wall...boil a fresh kettle of same amount and temp of water and again count the spins.

If the spins are identical it's a fucking scam.

(clue: it's a fucking scam)
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Kawkasian This is an easy test.

Electric kettles or suchlike make that electric meter spin at an alarming rate.

Boil the kettle of room temp water and count how many times that things spins around till it's boiled…now plug the scam device in the wall…boil a fresh kettle of same amount and temp of water and again count the spins.

If the spins are identical it's a fucking scam.

(clue: it's a fucking scam)

Probably like all those gadgets that make your car get 100 MPG but big oil bought the patent. Big electric going to off those guys if they don't watch their back.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Lol. Highly doubt Elon Musk actually said that about this box that does nothing.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    It has a green light going so you know it's good for mother earth.
    totse2118 Space Nigga [my ci light-haired pongee]
    Originally posted by mmQ Lol. Highly doubt Elon Musk actually said that about this box that does nothing.

I disagree ITS GOT HIS PUICTRE
    Originally posted by jerryb Probably like all those gadgets that make your car get 100 MPG but big oil bought the patent.

You mean the one that runs on water, or the one with the perpetual motion machine? THEYRE HIDING THE TRUTH FROM US
Jump to Top