User Controls

Scientists tested programming languages by energy use, time and size

Donald Trump Black Hole

Specifically, they used 10 problems from the Computer Language Benchmarks Game, a free software project for comparing performance which includes a standard set of simple algorithmic problems, as well as a framework for running tests. (It was formerly known as “The Great Computer Language Shootout.”) “This allowed us to obtain a comparable, representative, and extensive set of programs… along with the compilation/execution options, and compiler versions.”

…all of the tests were on a desktop running Linux Ubuntu Server 16.10 (kernel version 4.8.0-22-generic), with 16GB of RAM and a 3.20GHz Haswell Intel Core i5-4460 CPU.

They also compared the results from compiled languages versus interpreted languages (with a separate category for languages that run on virtual machines).

…the majority of power (around 88 percent) was consumed by the CPU, on average, whether the benchmark program was compiled, interpreted, or run on a virtual machine.

“On average, compiled languages consumed 120J [joules] to execute the solutions, while for a virtual machine and interpreted languages this value was 576J and 2,365J, respectively.”

The researchers also applied the same precision when comparing execution times, concluding that on average, “compiled languages took 5,103ms, virtual machine languages took 20,623ms, and interpreted languages took 87,614ms.”
    https://thenewstack.io/which-programming-languages-use-the-least-electricity/
    totse2118 Space Nigga [my ci light-haired pongee]
    it should all be tables
    A triangle table is needed
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    totse2118 Space Nigga [my ci light-haired pongee]
    Originally posted by the man who put it in my hood what if we just stored everything as a vector

Originally posted by Donald Trump

https://thenewstack.io/which-programming-languages-use-the-least-electricity/

..and yet they couldn't list them betabetically. Where the fuck is Basic?
Jump to Top