User Controls

Life Expectancy of Body Armor

Cowboy2013 African Astronaut
    Kevlar armor is supposed to only be good for a short period of time (I forget how long but I think like a few years and they're supposed to be replaced). But I think like 10 years ago I read about level 2 vests from the 80s being tested and them still working fine.

On the other hand idk how much they were used. Level 2 or today 3A kevlar armor is something that's naturally going to be worn more. It bends, it's fairly comfortable to ride around in a vehicle with, covers more area and will stop most handguns that you're most likely to be shot at with.

I wonder how much the layers rubbing against each other degrades it. Storage temperature etc. So there could be a lot of factors with that.

Then there's polyethylene rifle plates. I guess this is fairly new? I had never heard of them 10 years ago. But they're lighter than ceramic, and a lot less expensive.

I was talking about the capitalist programmed obsolescence of Glocks and how nobody would want a gun with a 30 year old plastic frame. This probably goes double for anything meant to stop bullets 😄 but unless you're the government who has to worry about recycling them off dead men it's probably the way to go.

I'm just curious though, what do you think about what I'm saying about the kevlar, the use and storage temperature etc playing a role, and PE armor?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I was under the impression that they were good as long as the fibres and plates were intact

would take a long time for kevlar fibres to break down naturally or break down from friction; they're literally designed to withstand that
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra I was under the impression that they were good as long as the fibres and plates were intact

would take a long time for kevlar fibres to break down naturally or break down from friction; they're literally designed to withstand that

Maybe that's just something to make money off if police department contracts or something. And why not? It's not like they have to work for it or anything.

But what do you think about the PE? Is it not really going to degrade over a decade or two if it's not exposed to the elements?
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    AR500 doesn't age
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker AR500 doesn't age

And weighs what? 20 pounds?

Aldra says kevlar holds up though.

And with steel armor if you're actually wearing it like that bullet fragments will fly off and hit you in your neck and shit if it doesn't have some special coating. Idk if they started putting that on all of them.

There's also some level 4 armor that I think is a PE and aluminum combination. I forget how heavy they are.
    Originally posted by Cowboy2013 And weighs what? 20 pounds?

Aldra says kevlar holds up though.

And with steel armor if you're actually wearing it like that bullet fragments will fly off and hit you in your neck and shit if it doesn't have some special coating. Idk if they started putting that on all of them.

There's also some level 4 armor that I think is a PE and aluminum combination. I forget how heavy they are.

If you can't lump 20 lbs bullets are not your biggest problem skippy.
    Degradation doesn't mean it's still not effective...it just means it's not as effective.

Like buying a loaf of bread 2 days past it's bestbuy date, you can still make delicious sandwiches with it.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker If you can't lump 20 lbs bullets are not your biggest problem skippy.

Do a 40 yard dash wearing two of them and tell us the results.
    And as far as war, I would like to see how long people could go wearing those, carrying 200 rounds and a rifle.
    Originally posted by Cowboy2013 And as far as war, I would like to see how long people could go wearing those, carrying 200 rounds and a rifle.

you like to see hard men in hard hat sandwitched between hard plates carrying hard, steel tipped ammos in one hand and hard forged barrel with the other,

is this correct.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny you like to see hard men in hard hat sandwitched between hard plates carrying hard, steel tipped ammos in one hand and hard forged barrel with the other,

is this correct.

You prefer soft ones?
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson You prefer soft ones?

this isnt about me
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny this isnt about me

It is now...do you prefer soft ones?
    how soft is soft
    Originally posted by Cowboy2013 Do a 40 yard dash wearing two of them and tell us the results.

Running just makes you die tired.
    crawler detected
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny crawler detected

Low crawl, they teach it in BCT.
    Basic Coward Tactics
    Bradley Black Hole
    Plate armor does not expire it is however heavy as fuck.

Modern armors like that kevlar shit also suffer greatly in cold winter Wisconsin conditions

U could just slow
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny how soft is soft

when you can't put it in.
Jump to Top