User Controls

Are used bookstores dead forever?

Cowboy2013 African Astronaut
    Idk of any besides 2nd and Charles which is a chain and so expensive it might as well not be used.

All the small ones are closed. When they were open it was hard to find a book written in the past 10 years.

So many fiction authors have templates they use to publish 5 books a year so it takes up a lot of room. And maybe people don't buy actual books anymore?

Back in the late 2000s it was all good. Another reason to hate Jeff Bezos ig
    Half Price books is always busy when I go in.

There were two stores near me but one closed with the reason (the landlord pu the rent up and we are looking for a new location).

Great for books, vinyl, cds, dvds, PC/console games etc.

https://hpb.com/074
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    RIPtotse victim of incest [my adversative decurved garbo]
    there's one online I like...discount books or some shit

my dad found it when I was in jail and sent me Hella books. good ones too.

seems the used book racket has moved online
    I use thriftbooks online quite a bit...they have a "watch list" too so if you are looking for a particular book they email you when it's in stock.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    RIPtotse victim of incest [my adversative decurved garbo]
    THAT WAS IT
    Cowboy2013 African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Half Price books is always busy when I go in.

There were two stores near me but one closed with the reason (the landlord pu the rent up and we are looking for a new location).

Great for books, vinyl, cds, dvds, PC/console games etc.

https://hpb.com/074

There is one close but it's still a chain 🫤 I may check it out.

But you should be able to find newish paperbacks for $2 locally. That's what I'm bitching about. There are discount places too.
    Originally posted by Cowboy2013 There is one close but it's still a chain 🫤 I may check it out.

But you should be able to find newish paperbacks for $2 locally. That's what I'm bitching about. There are discount places too.

Back home in Manchester there were a lot of really old used book stores, me and a friend of mine used to go up there some Saturdays and just spend the day going around them all...(with breaks in the local pubs) I bet they are mostly all gone now.

ETA: Friend is also gone now, dead.
    Pete Green African Astronaut
    I would think running a used book store would be more profitable than a new one. they purchased used books for like 1-2 bucks maybe 5 or 10 for a special edition or books over 100 dollars originally but the new book stores take a small percentage of sales.

new book stores might sell more books in a good economy but a used book store has fewer overhead. seems more lucrative. especially if you have cats hanging out for people to pet and a latte and bakery shop attached
    Pete Green African Astronaut
    shit go all out and add a laundry matte in the back room
    I expect Barnes and Noble will be going out of business soon..surely the new book industry is harder hit than the used book industry by online sales...I stopping going to Barnes and Noble when they took out the big comfy chairs...I could sit there and read a book cover to cover while enjoying a coffee and looking up the skirt of whoever was sat opposite me.

I googled why they took out the comfy chairs and the main reason seems to have been to discourage people sitting there all day and looking up skirts...sheesh, some fucking people aye!?
Jump to Top