User Controls

This weekends repair.

Here we have a Japanese Panasonic FS-A1 MSX2 computer. Purchased a while back as "not working" on Ebay for around $50 or so...these usually sell for upwards of $180 for working ones.

The thing with these Jap computers is they come with AC Adapters that look like they will work on US electricity...however Jappy is 100V and doing so can fry your computer...I suspected this was the issue here.

I have a step down transformer (in the pic) for Jap stuff due to my years of tinkering so went ahead and bought it figuring it would be an easy repair.

It was indeed a case of some tit trying to use it on US voltage Replacing 3 regulators, 1 cap and 2 transistors brought it back to life.

ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY.

Repair done.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    BeeReBuddy motherfucker [pimp your due marabout]
    Gave me a boner
    Instigator Space Nigga
    what year in the 80s was this?

Did a bit of Google? But notcame up nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro

We were still using these at high school 99/2000 cause the maths teacher wouldn't let them go...
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Jiggaboo a jack of all trades, nice soldering station.

Vinny will claim a coat hanger heated in a fire actually better to solder with. lol

That Vinny, he's an ornery fella.
    Originally posted by Instigator what year in the 80s was this?

Did a bit of Google? But notcame up nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro

We were still using these at high school 99/2000 cause the maths teacher wouldn't let them go…

This model was 1986

ETA:
    https://www.msx.org/wiki/Panasonic_FS-A1
    Instigator Space Nigga
    lol exactly the link I found.

It's a bit before my time of the 486 and Windows 3.1 playing lands of lore..monkey Island and so on..

But fair play though to mess around with the old tec considering I bought an old snes.

The BBC computer we all had the old maths teacher would make us load the computers in a line (cause apparently it would mess up the system,this was in 1999 ) and he'd make us shut them down again and then we would get them loaded up again and we would play snooker games where'd we would have to guess the angle to get them in the pot..

I don't know it was weird back then but I could never understand it at the time cause I could at the time an play the n64 or PlayStation...

It's crazy how technology goes.

He's probably dead now cause he was easily 60+ back in 2000
    Lol, I'm surprised you were still using BBCs at school in 1999. I'm after a BBC but they are rarer than an American with an IQ over 100 here...and importing one is very expensive...I might have to break down though at some point and get one.
    Rape Monster Naturally Camouflaged
    They used a BBC on us at my school but I'm pretty sure we mean different things
    For those that don't know about the MSX standard here's the blurb below...basically an attempt to standardize computer architecture between home computer manufactures before PCs blew up.

More popular in the East and some of Europe than the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX
    Originally posted by jerryb Jiggaboo a jack of all trades, nice soldering station.

Vinny will claim a coat hanger heated in a fire actually better to solder with. lol

That Vinny, he's an ornery fella.

which part of your head am i occupying.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny which part of your head am i occupying.

Ha Ha, you know damn well you like to come up with some argument and something that's better.

Never change Vinny, we like you the way you are.
    Originally posted by jerryb Ha Ha, you know damn well you like to come up with some argument and something that's better.

Never change Vinny, we like you the way you are.

nah.

if i were to argue i would say there isnt a need for a 600 dollar soldering iron to fix a PC from the 90s.

all those components were hand soldered with the kind of soldering technology that can be purchased today for 5 dollars or less, thanks to china.

in fact i just bought a new adjustable soldering iron with stainless steel tip and ceramic heating core the other day for less than 5 dollar, as a back up soldering iron incase my 9 year old one which i got for 3 dollar something dies.

i ♥ china
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny nah.

if i were to argue i would say there isnt a need for a 600 dollar soldering iron to fix a PC from the 90s.

That solder station pictured was $34 off Amazon

ETA:

I bought it two years ago on sale....here it is today, $48:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZWKZH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    jerryb African Astronaut
    I've just a cheapo iron and gun. Most I solder is car wiring, many moons ago I was an electronic tech in the navy but about 90% of repairs involved just exchanging boards. Probably should have kept up with it, I could get up to speed on older stuff I guess.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson That solder station pictured was $34 off Amazon

ETA:

I bought it two years ago on sale….here it is today, $48:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZWKZH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the pict was blury i couldnt make out what it was.

is this an admission that your 600 dollar soldering iron was a Caucasian elephant ?
    Originally posted by jerryb I've just a cheapo iron and gun. Most I solder is car wiring, many moons ago I was an electronic tech in the navy but about 90% of repairs involved just exchanging boards. Probably should have kept up with it, I could get up to speed on older stuff I guess.

if you solder car wires a lot get those that are gas powered.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny the pict was blury i couldnt make out what it was.

is this an admission that your 600 dollar soldering iron was a Caucasian elephant ?

So you jumped to conclusions!

My $600 hakko one is reserved for big jobs (plus it was in a plastic tub somewhere) this is my "goto" one for as you say...simple soldering jobs.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I posted a "pict" of my Hakko too.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson So you jumped to conclusions!

My $600 hakko one is reserved for big jobs (plus it was in a plastic tub somewhere) this is my "goto" one for as you say…simple soldering jobs.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I posted a "pict" of my Hakko too.

cock-asian elephant it is then.

jerryb African Astronaut
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny if you solder car wires a lot get those that are gas powered.

I've used those especially when out where no electrical outlet. Sometimes even a small torch if making up large cables.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny cock-asian elephant it is then.

Non sequitur
Jump to Top