User Controls

Shocking Antarctic Sea Ice graph

Donald Trump Black Hole

aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    there's no such thing as 'standard' deviations anymore

deviation is limitless
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    I can't tell if this is a deliberately bad thread or if I'm just dumb. People need to stop making graphs.

Or like, people need to stop posting such fucking useless ones.
    The record high for Antarctic ice was set in 2014.
    I'm not creating a twitter ('x') account to go check but I suspect he's misrepresenting the visual data, which the japanese research portal in the top link provides

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/understanding-climate-antarctic-sea-ice-extent

minimum is lower than usual but not dramatically lower

Each line shows daily sea ice extent—the total area at least 15% ice covered—in the Southern Ocean around Antarctica from 2016 (lightest blue) through 2023 (bright pink), which set a new record for smallest summer minimum. The summer minimums for the past eight years have all been below average (dotted line). This pattern is unusual, but still not statistically significant because of the wide range of historical variability.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Donald Trump

Another poorly constructed graph.

How do you have -7 deviations Zero deviations is zero...
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    more or less ice area, a deviation above or below
    Originally posted by aldra more or less ice area, a deviation above or below

above or below what?

...what is a deviation in real terms?

1 cup of ice?
    100 cups of ice?
    1000000000000 cups of ice?

And how are they measuring it so accurately on a daily basis?

It's meaningless as it stands.
    -7 cups of ice isn't a big deal.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson above or below what?

…what is a deviation in real terms?

1 cup of ice?
    100 cups of ice?
    1000000000000 cups of ice?

And how are they measuring it so accurately on a daily basis?

It's meaningless as it stands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

as I said I don't know what exactly he did but I suspect he used a tool to analyse the images provided by the Japanese climate portal over the years and graph the change in ice minimums

such a large difference is not reflected in the US climate data though so there was probably a mistake in the output/calculations
    In the '70s, and I was there, all you heard day and night from these clowns was how global cooling was going to destroy the entire planet, and how they needed more power and more money to stop it. When it never happened, they changed their pseudoscience to global warming. Then, when that never happened, they switched to climate change. That way, they could cry the sky was falling no matter what the weather ends up being.
Jump to Top