User Controls

Hail storm destroys big solar array

Donald Trump Black Hole

Baseball-sized hail took out a solar farm in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, on Friday.

The hail shattered most of the panels on the 5.2-megawatt solar project, sparing an odd panel
    https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/06/27/baseball-sized-hail-smashing-into-panels-at-150-mph-destroys-scottsbluff-solar-farm/
    Infinityshockrates Tuskegee Airman
    Doesn't each panel cost like a billion $$ in rare earth metals? I sure hope they aren't just losing that shit and someone is recovering all that because holy fuck we use a lot of rare earth metals

If governments keep banning nuclear I might start my own solar waste company because this is just silly
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by Infinityshockrates Doesn't each panel cost like a billion $$ in rare earth metals?

No, just some silver, some polysilicon and some glass.

But thanks to wanky environmental regulations it's cheaper to literally landfill solar panels in the west than to melt them down and remanufacture them.

And then we ship in new solar panels from Chiner.

If elected President I will put a stop to this.
    A Tuskegee Airman [my neurobiological trilled kampala]
    From my understanding they are not at all profitable and can really only exist generally through subsidy, and are not at all viable for replacing fossil fuels.

But it's really all you hear about as the main solution people have MORE WIND!!! MORE SOLAR!!! those poor birds. At least Bidens last bill had something for nuclear but it was a paltry sum compared to other initiatives which says to me they are more into the idea of "green" than actually trying to do anything to benefit anyone from any scientific angle

trust the science!!!!!!!!!
    Reminds me of the job at the soler panel factory
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by I Live In Your Crawlspace Secretly4 Reminds me of the job at the soler panel factory

Remember that time we backed that truck up into those soler panels?

Good times.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Donald Trump No, just some silver, some polysilicon and some glass.

But thanks to wanky environmental regulations it's cheaper to literally landfill solar panels in the west than to melt them down and remanufacture them.

And then we ship in new solar panels from Chiner.

If elected President I will put a stop to this.

with the expenditure required to manufacture the steel and glass, a standard panel can never generate enough power to cover its own construction. the deboonkers who claim otherwise assume they can generate power 24 hours a day and assume all panels are made with aluminium instead of steel

I thought the glass used was stronger than regular glass though considering it's doped with a bunch of shit to control the specific wavelengths of light it allows through

like phone gorilla glass or something
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by aldra like phone gorilla glass or something

I doubt even phone gorilla glass would withstand a hail storm.
    Originally posted by aldra with the expenditure required to manufacture the steel and glass, a standard panel can never generate enough power to cover its own construction.

Sounds like a challenge to me
    I live to make things cheaper than someone else, I bet it's only not profitable because they use MODERN steel making methods, I just learned about ancient ones the other day , apparently the steel is pretty shitty BUT WHO SAID IT HAD TO BE GOOD STEEL, fuck the chinese they are niggers
    I'm talking about energy expenditure not cost
    like total energy input required to make it vs what it would save or whatever for muh fossil fuels?

I mean, from every metric i've seen it just doesn't pay off at all, and really is only "worth it" if you don't care about cost, or aren't relying on it. Just the idea of something large scale running off 100% solar sounds wacky, like you don't picture something like that being a factory.

A 400W solar panel receiving 4.5 peak sun hours per day can produce 1.8 kWh of electricity per day, as we found in the example above
    https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/solar/cost-of-solar-panels/

I should learn more about solar panels as I just ignore the tech behind it and assume the best and brightest are on the case but I am starting to have my doubts and starting to think every aspect of "green" research is all horse shit fake BS propped up by government lies, what fucking breakthroughs??, the stuff I see on twitter from SOLAR PUNKS does not seem very government message friendly to me and they are the only ones I see actually doing anything about the issue
    yeah the only thing that makes sense at the moment is nuclear; wind and solar do not make sense for large-scale power distribution (though solar and a large battery or hydrogen converter is viable for an individual house or homestead). they won't with incremental upgrades and discoveries either; it'll take major changes in the way power is generated/stored, and nuclear is the best stopgap we have until then
    They all want solar but nobody is talking about SPACE BASED SOLAR come on NIMBYS, would you rather kill all birds or have cool as fuck giant satellite dishes everywhere????

MUH PROPERTY VALUES NUCLEAR BAD !!! apparently Japan is investing into it at least

how would that even work, some kind of magnifying glass in orbit that beams concentrated rays down to a base station? if it fucks up and its aim falters it'd vaporise the residential block next door
    Big ass microwave dishes and emitters, I thought it was a lot bigger than it seems to be, I assumed it would be widespread by now but even Elon doesn't talk about space solar. Haven't you ever played Fallout 3 and Simcity? It's the best damn power out there at the cost of requiring a billion dishes to capture it all, also the space satellites. Also the technology probably isn't fully developed yet, but every new development only makes the idea better.

Japan is doing it to replace reliance on Nuclear lol they are paranoid now which is understandable, tough times make tough people though and I hope they can prove to the world that space solar is da future

https://www.academia.edu/3147367/Space_solar_power_programs_and_microwave_wireless_power_transmission_technology

and it HAS to be in space or so everyone claims because it's never day/night in space, and you need a lot of panels, giant ones to soak up all the rays and beam it all down to earth, it would be a huge mess. The microwaves can also melt birds. My idea is JUST LAUNCH GREY GOO NANONIGGERS INTO THE STRATOSPHERE AND GIVE THEM AI WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG???

Originally posted by WALUIGI TACO STAND IS A REAL GAME Bird sized windmills would be pretty cool, just make them also nanoniggers with microwave laser transmissions of power and they hack weather satellites to maximize wind and UV exposure.

Through economy of scale, if this works it could bring us years ahead in Microwave power generation.

Can countries claim the sky above the stratosphere?
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    Originally posted by aldra how would that even work, some kind of magnifying glass in orbit that beams concentrated rays down to a base station? if it fucks up and its aim falters it'd vaporise the residential block next door

That was a disaster that would happen in Sim City 2000.
    There's that "infinite wisdom" from the climate change hoax goons again.
Jump to Top