User Controls

What if we're already in hell?

Meikai Heck This Schlong
    What if part of being in hell is being tortured for so long that you forget everything. You become a blank, raw nerve of pain, incapable of experiencing more suffering. So every so often, in Hell, the suffering stops for a lifespan. Just long enough for you to refamiliarize yourself with pleasure and forget your eternal anguish. All to prime you for further suffering. You don't die. You never die. You can't die. You can just forget after 13 billion years of torture, and then remember, and then be tortured again.

How can you tell if you're already in hell? How can you gird yourself for the torment to come? Should you gird yourself? Maybe you deserve to suffer. Maybe thinking you can gird yourself only makes your suffering greater, so by the same token, you actually should try to.

Which is more terrifying? An end? Or no end?

Which do you think terrifies god more?

I'm not schizo.
    King of Nonces Tuskegee Airman

that's just like the opening of blackout dreamworld

Armitage Yung Blood
    Oscar Wilde wrote, "We are each our own devil and we make this world our hell".
    The life situation you are living right now is completely your making, even if it feels really incredulous to believe it – it’s the truth. No one else is responsible for your present life situation, but you. It’s true that you may have created a messed up reality because you were not aware of your power as a creator, but nevertheless it’s still your creation. I’m sorry you’re in pain, but I think it’s important to understand the power to change your circumstances lies in your hands.

We create our own hell, it is the sum of all our decisions - we are not sentenced, we condemn ourselves. I read somewhere that men are not punished for their sins but by them. I think there’s a lot of wisdom in this statement because we are responsible for our circumstances once we reach the age of reason.

Dante encapsulates the soul of it in his vision of Inferno by showing how we are not punished for our sins, but by them. It is not an external thing visited upon us by God, or fate. It is an internal change we have wrought in ourselves. Each bad choice diminishes us in a particular way, just as each good one adds to us.

I’m sending you prana and good wishes, you have the power to change your reality.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by Armitage Oscar Wilde wrote, "We are each our own devil and we make this world our hell".
    The life situation you are living right now is completely your making, even if it feels really incredulous to believe it – it’s the truth. No one else is responsible for your present life situation, but you. It’s true that you may have created a messed up reality because you were not aware of your power as a creator, but nevertheless it’s still your creation. I’m sorry you’re in pain, but I think it’s important to understand the power to change your circumstances lies in your hands.

We create our own hell, it is the sum of all our decisions - we are not sentenced, we condemn ourselves. I read somewhere that men are not punished for their sins but by them. I think there’s a lot of wisdom in this statement because we are responsible for our circumstances once we reach the age of reason.

Dante encapsulates the soul of it in his vision of Inferno by showing how we are not punished for our sins, but by them. It is not an external thing visited upon us by God, or fate. It is an internal change we have wrought in ourselves. Each bad choice diminishes us in a particular way, just as each good one adds to us.

I’m sending you prana and good wishes, you have the power to change your reality.

I appreciate the thought, but my reality is pretty good at the moment! That's the problem! Either it's going to unceremoniously stop being good (along with stopping being literally anything else - it's just going to stop being, because I'm dead), or it's eternal and will inevitably and unavoidably become hell. Imagine your consciousness persists to the heat death of the universe. Trillions of years of isolation. It doesn't matter if you live the most fulfilling 100 years a human has ever lived, when you're staring down the barrel of eternity. In this situation, no sequence of choices you make can help you avoid your fate. The only theoretical escape is death - nothingness, nonexistence, annihilation - and that is its own kind of hell (at least until the prospect itself becomes a sweet mercy, the pursuit of which would become a fresh hell).

Kind of the same problem as Buddhism really, only I'm imagining it minus reincarnation (formally, although you could say that each "reminder" phase of the cycle is a new incarnation - I guess the key difference would be that the "torture" in this... cosmogony? is the eternity of literal torture, not simply incarnating with desire... even if technically, I guess, torture is only torture if you desire something other than torture). An endless inescapable cycle of torture you know? Hell. You don't get reborn as an ant after this, you just persist until you forget who and what you were... and then you're reminded and allowed to experience joy... until you're made to suffer to the point that you forget again and the cycle repeats.
    blob6106 Tuskegee Airman
    Fuck Oscar Wilde eastern philosophy

Repent in Jesus name
    Bradley Black Hole
    Originally posted by Meikai What if part of being in hell is being tortured for so long that you forget everything. You become a blank, raw nerve of pain, incapable of experiencing more suffering. So every so often, in Hell, the suffering stops for a lifespan. Just long enough for you to refamiliarize yourself with pleasure and forget your eternal anguish. All to prime you for further suffering. You don't die. You never die. You can't die. You can just forget after 13 billion years of torture, and then remember, and then be tortured again.

How can you tell if you're already in hell? How can you gird yourself for the torment to come? Should you gird yourself? Maybe you deserve to suffer. Maybe thinking you can gird yourself only makes your suffering greater, so by the same token, you actually should try to.

Which is more terrifying? An end? Or no end?

Which do you think terrifies god more?

I'm not schizo.

ITT: Tell me how you're going to break up with Scron and have Sudo ferret you to New York where you can come drink Penis Coladas and tan on the beach without telling me you're going to break up with Scron and have Sudo ferret you to New York where you can come drink Penis Coladas and tan on the beach.
    Armitage Yung Blood
    She had performed as a shape-shifter with no sense of identity?
    Don't spend your life believing a story about yourself that you didn't write that's been fed to you - that simply you've accepted, embedded and added to. Break the cycle.
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Basically, being born places you in the catch 22 of "mu" or... "not-mu". One can't be uncreated, so we can only either continue forever or cease to be. Unless you're suicidal, both are uniquely hellish prospects. You can try to paper this over in a lot of ways, but fundamentally the only solutions to this reality I can think of are "make peace with it" or "be very confident in your ability to remain sane over geological, cosmological timescales, and more importantly, do so without that confidence having been misplaced".
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    maybe reincarnation is real and nine months restrained in a sensory deprivation tank makes you irreparably lose your mind
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by aldra maybe reincarnation is real and nine months restrained in a sensory deprivation tank makes you irreparably lose your mind

Have also worried about this immensely. I am not schizo though.
    you haven't gone full wozny yet

see you there I guess
    Armitage Yung Blood
    Reincarnation exists because the soul is eternal.
    But we can’t return as insects or animals because they don’t have souls.
    that's a bit of a leap

how do you quantify the soul
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by Armitage Reincarnation exists because the soul is eternal.
    But we can’t return as insects or animals because they don’t have souls.

Not even dogs? Horses? Plenty of people seeing soulfullness in their furry companions. Can you really feel something is family if it doesn't have a soul? Maybe regardless of karma you get reincarnated as the next most soulful animal, until you're single celled organism, and that's where the cycle repeats.
    Armitage Yung Blood
    Well, a soul, in religion and philosophy, the immaterial aspect or essence of a human being, that which confers individuality and humanity, often considered to be synonymous with the mind or the self.

Animals are dichotomous beings. This means that they do have bodies and a particular kind of soul, which gives them consciousness, but they do not have free will. The knowledge of free will gives man the knowledge of what is good and what is evil.
    Animals, however, do not have this. Instead, animals do actions based on their “animal instinct” and the “circle of life” where there is a predator and a prey.

However if I’m wrong, and animals do have souls I’d love to come back as one of my cats. They have the easiest best life you can imagine.
    we are in heck

heck loop

the hecking loop
    Originally posted by Armitage However if I’m wrong, and animals do have souls I’d love to come back as one of my cats. They have the easiest best life you can imagine.

yeah idk if all dogs go to heaven because the idea of an animal that could get powers from killing humans and other animals seems also pretty otherworldy to me. Jehovahs witness are skitzos with video games and would tell me it's wrong to potray such otherworldly things because it goes against the Godly order of the universe where the truth of God is physically perceivable even though we cannot see a soul we can conceptualize it and should strive toward seeing it by living in the light

which kinda makes sense to me I agree that people all kinda agree on the concept of a Heavens at the very least, even most eastern philosophies that believe in reincarnation and stuff but everyone has their own fork of spiritual thought
    im loking at it from a macro historical perspective a lot lately
    Meikai Heck This Schlong
    Originally posted by King of Nonces

https://the40foundation.org/world-religions-tree.html
    RIPtotse victim of incest [my adversative decurved garbo]
    read the gnostic texts

likely we are in hell or the 'lower aeons' and heaven is the 'upper aeons' and can only be achieved through spiritual enlightenment while living in order to recieve the gift of ascending to the upper aeons upon death

enlightenment has meant many different things for many different people.
    Originally posted by Meikai

https://the40foundation.org/world-religions-tree.html

Originally posted by RIPtotse read the gnostic texts

likely we are in hell or the 'lower aeons' and heaven is the 'upper aeons' and can only be achieved through spiritual enlightenment while living in order to recieve the gift of ascending to the upper aeons upon death

enlightenment has meant many different things for many different people.

yo I just zoomed out on this tree and had a fucking TRIP

Jump to Top