User Controls

Could the government do this to cell phones?

Cowboy2013 African Astronaut
    So if you have a cell phone in airplane mode or turned off could they have an airplane or something fly over and send out some kind of pulse so it could be detected and read/located?

I know that's kind of how RFID works. Could they do it to a SIM card?

I'm just curious. I read in the middle east or somewhere where the CIA was doing something evil, they wouldn't trust turning a phone off but using Faraday cages and whatnot. I think this was before smartphones.
    That sounds possible, I would assume yes they have hundreds of these, any electronic device is vulnerable in some way or another, I remember seeing a few different RF things, they have A LOT of different ways and every time I read these I feel like I learn something new like OH SHIT THATS CLEVER

these fucking names though lmrao. I think the ANGRYNEIGHBOR product line has a few RF products
    and these are just the old ones that were leaked, i'm sure they have many more
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Cowboy2013 African Astronaut
    Originally posted by the man who put it in my hood That sounds possible, I would assume yes they have hundreds of these, any electronic device is vulnerable in some way or another, I remember seeing a few different RF things, they have A LOT of different ways and every time I read these I feel like I learn something new like OH SHIT THATS CLEVER

these fucking names though lmrao. I think the ANGRYNEIGHBOR product line has a few RF products

Yeah it's always best to assume they could with stuff like that. Ig if a phone only worked on 5G it would limit the range.
    No.
    https://www.techdirt.com/2013/07/23/even-powering-down-cell-phone-cant-keep-nsa-tracking-its-location/

yeah tehres a bunch of stuff for phones and a lot of it is way over my head. and if that doesn't work they have 100 other ways probably to get you at either end

anything is vulnerable, just like that movie with the AI. It will invent a way if it has to, if one doesn't exist someone is working on it.
    Originally posted by the man who put it in my hood bitcoin also has problems but the "maximalist" BTC skitzos are hardcore about rolling 99 dice in a faraday cage to make wallet seeed phrases, also gotta do it in the dark with loud music playing so the AI can't guesstimate your rolls

Never forget the sound vibrations folks

Originally posted by Rotten Rodney Those all sound like shit

Eagle Eye

with the guy from THE SHIELD, and fucking SHiah LEBUOUGF.

That movie isn't a scary movie about the danger of AI. It's a fucking hero story of glorious technology killing the entire American government, all the kikes, THEY ALL FUCKING DIE

and in the end….. well, I won't spoil it….

Still no.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    possibly, even in aeroplane mode or turned off they can register to towers
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by the man who put it in my hood That sounds possible, I would assume yes they have hundreds of these, any electronic device is vulnerable in some way or another, I remember seeing a few different RF things, they have A LOT of different ways and every time I read these I feel like I learn something new like OH SHIT THATS CLEVER

that just converts the digital video signal into rf so it can be picked up by a receiver, not really relevant

***oh the second one looks like it switches USB drivers so it can receive commands wirelessly then run them as either a keyboard or a USB storage device depending on the situation

didn't realise it was two separate thinsgg
    Originally posted by aldra possibly, even in aeroplane mode or turned off they can register to towers

There is no signal going to the towers when powered off...Sim cards need power to operate.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson There is no signal going to the towers when powered off…Sim cards need power to operate.

they never fully power off unless you disconnect the battery
    Originally posted by aldra they never fully power off unless you disconnect the battery

Not sure about that...the phone being on standby doesn't mean the sim is getting power...it just means the power circuit is.
    "Can a phone be tracked if it's turned off? A phone that is turned off is difficult to track because it stops sending signals to cell towers. However, the service provider or internet provider can show the last location once it's switched back on."
    Infinityshockrates Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson "Can a phone be tracked if it's turned off? A phone that is turned off is difficult to track because it stops sending signals to cell towers. However, the service provider or internet provider can show the last location once it's switched back on."

Unless something forces it to emit a signal
    Originally posted by Infinityshockrates Unless something forces it to emit a signal

Yeah, like the user turning it on...not a plane briefly flying over it at 30,000ft.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Not sure about that…the phone being on standby doesn't mean the sim is getting power…it just means the power circuit is.

Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson "Can a phone be tracked if it's turned off? A phone that is turned off is difficult to track because it stops sending signals to cell towers. However, the service provider or internet provider can show the last location once it's switched back on."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor

the baseband processor typically remains in low-power mode even if the phone is switched off, and the code/instruction set for all of them seems to be proprietary so it's very difficult to tell what they can actually do or how they can be triggered remotely.

starting around 20 years ago the NSA has reportedly used a method called 'The Find' to activate powered-down phones in Iraq and Afghanistan, likely how OP described it - flying a plane overhead and spamming a radio signal that forces phones to respond or register to a tower, regardless of whether they're powered on or not.

Snowden talked about that method being refined and used elsewhere but I couldn't find the actual project codename
    Originally posted by aldra https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor

the baseband processor typically remains in low-power mode even if the phone is switched off, and the code/instruction set for all of them seems to be proprietary so it's very difficult to tell what they can actually do or how they can be triggered remotely.

starting around 20 years ago the NSA has reportedly used a method called 'The Find' to activate powered-down phones in Iraq and Afghanistan, likely how OP described it - flying a plane overhead and spamming a radio signal that forces phones to respond or register to a tower, regardless of whether they're powered on or not.

Snowden talked about that method being refined and used elsewhere but I couldn't find the actual project codename

Even if that's true it's quite a bit different from reading the contents of a sim card.
    no I don't think I'll be playing your change-the-subject game again
    Originally posted by aldra no I don't think I'll be playing your change-the-subject game again

Irony...

Originally posted by Cowboy2013 So if you have a cell phone in airplane mode or turned off could they have an airplane or something fly over and send out some kind of pulse so it could be detected and read/located?
    Migh Houston
    Could they ever power them on from a distance?
    Acoustic air gap networking is totally possible, even if the device is powered off and has no battery in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BadBIOS
Jump to Top