User Controls

We can make all the power we need.

AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    In space.
    Think about it it's a fucking vacuum we have heat from the sun and cold in the shade.
    You could make a perpetual steam engine that generates microwaves that could be beamed back to earth and provide clean carbon free power.
    I don't think anyone is trying to solve anything they just want to profit from the "solution".
    PEOPLE OF EARTH !!
    YOU ARE ALL FUCKING RETARDS.
    gE microwave oven already patent that so we can't use it . Invent a cat that runs off water aka the new gold, and gets killed . Seems sussie
    until you accidentally put a loop of wires in your ass pocket and had your ass burned.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Most countries can barely supply electrical needs now and they want everyone to switch to EV cars. lol
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by jerryb Most countries can barely supply electrical needs now and they want everyone to switch to EV cars. lol

I was talking to an electrician and he brought up how much new copper would need to be laid to be able to deliver enough concurrent power to charge, say, 20 electric cars per street, especially if Tesla's new 250kv fast charge becomes standard

the entire distribution network would need to be overhauled even if we opened up enough new power plants to cope with the demand, and gay stuff like solar and wind wouldn't even make a dent in it
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra I was talking to an electrician and he brought up how much new copper would need to be laid to be able to deliver enough concurrent power to charge, say, 20 electric cars per street, especially if Tesla's new 250kv fast charge becomes standard

the entire distribution network would need to be overhauled even if we opened up enough new power plants to cope with the demand, and gay stuff like solar and wind wouldn't even make a dent in it

people who would believe climate change and electric cars normally cant think that far ahead.

everytime i see people talk about solar energies i just tell them they obviously have never worked a day under the sun and if they did, never have the power of observation in their naive lives.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Solar and wind a big waste of real estate. If they want lots more power the only way is new nuke plants. Maybe in the future they will come up with a better power supply. Like the electrician said the entire network will need massive overhauls to supply it.

Nukes can be very safe, hell I slept within 100 feet of a reactor for over 4 years and didn't die. These submarine reactors controlled by basically 20-23 yo guys with zero problems.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    yeah, especially with breeder reactors that eat waste from fission plants and (possible) new breakthroughs in fusion.

it's not really that nuclear plants are unsafe or unclean to run either, they just have the potential to melt down and cause serious problems. we understand the issues much better than we did back when Chernobyl ate shit though, so as long as safety is kept as a priority the risk is worth the benefit
    Originally posted by jerryb Nukes can be very safe, hell I slept within 100 feet of a reactor for over 4 years and didn't die. These submarine reactors controlled by basically 20-23 yo guys with zero problems.

its not the nukes that are unsafe, its the reliability and competencies of those who are tasked to design, construct, run and maintain the nukes that are in question.

i mean like chernobyl, it was a very safe plant with a very sound design, until idiots were tasked to run tests on it.

the same with fukushima. it was very safe and good design, except the designers have forgotten to factor in earthquakes.

the problem with the nukes is that accidents due to human error can, and will be, catastrosphic unlike other sources of energy.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny its not the nukes that are unsafe, its the reliability and competencies of those who are tasked to design, construct, run and maintain the nukes that are in question.

i mean like chernobyl, it was a very safe plant with a very sound design, until idiots were tasked to run tests on it.

the same with fukushima. it was very safe and good design, except the designers have forgotten to factor in earthquakes.

the problem with the nukes is that accidents due to human error can, and will be, catastrosphic unlike other sources of energy.

I do agree with ya vinny and also dealing with the waste but that's the only real option if they want everyone to drive EVs.
    Originally posted by jerryb I do agree with ya vinny and also dealing with the waste but that's the only real option if they want everyone to drive EVs.

the waste is the easy part.

just space-x it to somewhere in the direction of pluto and thats that.

also, no, there arent enough lithium to make EVs for everyone in this planet.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    lol The future solution may be horses and mules but all that horseshit may cause global warming.
    its called bicycles.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    I'm to rural for a bike, I ain't got time to spend all day going to town plus I carry more than it can handle.
    Free energy will never happen. If there's a buck to be made someone is going to make it rather than give it away.

Remember when drinking water was "free" out of your faucet? now you pay a dollar for a plastic bottle of the same shit.
    Bradley Black Hole
    Really good discussion about nuclear power I don't know a lot about energy and enjoy reading what you guys have to say about it.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    I don't know a lot about it but know the navy has a great record using it. But you have to remember the navy is very anal about security and safety. We had constant drills and you reacted to things on instinct after a while.

On security, I had a top secret clearance and if I handled classified material like Hillary I'd probably still be locked up.
    Donald Trump Black Hole
    In Europe Russian gas companies actually funded the environmentalist movements to oppose nuclear and promote natural gas (cos it has the "lowest CO2" of any fossil fuel and doesn't leave ash when burned, so is "clean" and "green").

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/german-green-group-branded-a-russian-puppet-over-nord-stream-ii-gas-pipeline-nzd9p056q

Meanwhile the Russians get pretty much all their electricity from nuclear.
    jerryb African Astronaut
    Europe is pretty retarded relying on Russian gas. Russia has turned the gas off on countries before for political reasons before and now someone blew up the pipeline.
    Originally posted by jerryb Europe is pretty retarded relying on Russian gas. Russia has turned the gas off on countries before for political reasons before and now someone blew up the pipeline.

the problem is their entire *real* economy relies on cheap energy; even if they were able to get US gas at a similar volume the costs would've totally fucked their manufacturing base anyway. unless they change course dramatically (it's probably too late for that without severe consequences anyway) they'll get to choose between getting squeezed by Poland reselling US gas or Turkey reselling Russian gas.

they could've either diversified long-term or not participated in those self-destructive sanctions but they did neither
Jump to Top